F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F32 Belsee Aftermarket Digital Display
proTUNING Freaks

08-20-2022, 11:19 AM   #1
shortbusruss
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i

F32 Belsee Aftermarket Digital Display

Anyone had any experience with this? Belsee site says that it requires no coding, and is basically a drop in replacement. Given that the OEM requires coding, this is hard to believe. The only way I can see this working is if the analog cluster requires no coding, and this aftermarket part just translates the analog inputs to a display via software.

I really want a digital display cluster, but $1700 from bimmertech is a hard pill to swallow.

And if no one has any experience with it,as far as the OEM digital cluster from bimmertech, can you confirm that it works on ID6? I saw one forum post where someone claims that ID7 is absolutely required to have the digital display, but it seems folks have gotten it to work, and bimmertech says that it fits my VIN..

Lastly, if anyone else has any recommended aftermarket digital display cluster to recommend for the F32, I am all ears..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 12:37 PM   #2
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbusruss View Post
Anyone had any experience with this? Belsee site says that it requires no coding, and is basically a drop in replacement. Given that the OEM requires coding, this is hard to believe. The only way I can see this working is if the analog cluster requires no coding, and this aftermarket part just translates the analog inputs to a display via software.

I really want a digital display cluster, but $1700 from bimmertech is a hard pill to swallow.

And if no one has any experience with it,as far as the OEM digital cluster from bimmertech, can you confirm that it works on ID6? I saw one forum post where someone claims that ID7 is absolutely required to have the digital display, but it seems folks have gotten it to work, and bimmertech says that it fits my VIN..

Lastly, if anyone else has any recommended aftermarket digital display cluster to recommend for the F32, I am all ears..
The OEM digital cluster can be had with as low as ID4.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 01:30 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Anyone had any experience with this? Belsee site says that it requires no coding
Sure, and just about every seller of LED bulbs for replacing halogens claims they're plug and play. None are, they all require coding. I wouldn't trust anything other than a first hand confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 05:57 PM   #4
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Seems pretty nifty I'd be willing to try one but my car is still in warranty period. They don't support cars with HUD currently though. Hopefully they will add support soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 06:25 PM   #5
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Perhaps it's plug and play if you already have DKOMBI. The reverse sweep tach would be nifty...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 06:38 PM   #6
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
Perhaps it's plug and play if you already have DKOMBI. The reverse sweep tach would be nifty...
Is DKOMBI the 6WB for F series? This looks like a pretty awesome upgrade it has more features than the OEM G series digital cluster, aside from not supporting HUD or music list but apparently that's a work in progress. I'd be eager to hear from someone that has done this retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 06:57 PM   #7
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
Is DKOMBI the 6WB for F series? This looks like a pretty awesome upgrade it has more features than the OEM G series digital cluster, aside from not supporting HUD or music list but apparently that's a work in progress. I'd be eager to hear from someone that has done this retrofit.
Correct, DKOMBI is 6WB
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 07:20 AM   #8
Runner340
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
Correct, DKOMBI is 6WB
I have no personal experience but read the car pictured on the Belsee cluster can't be changed. As mentioned they are not compatible yet with HUD if you have that. Looks more modern IMO than the F3x 6WB from BMW but until someone here takes the bait and posts a review, I'd rather not take a chance with my money.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 10:49 AM   #9
ben.jongbin
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:

Are you saying about this digital cluster?
Yes. I just install on my f30 recently.
Works like a charm!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 10:56 AM   #10
shortbusruss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben.jongbin View Post
Are you saying about this digital cluster?
Yes. I just install on my f30 recently.
Works like a charm!!!
I don't know if this link will be allowed, but this is the cluster..

https://www.belsee.com/belsee-best-a...2-f33-f36.html

If this is your cluster, can you verify you got it from Belsee, and if so, give a little bit of information about the install process? Any coding needed? Does it pick up the mileage on the odometer? Does it work with HUD?

The information on the site mentions it having Google maps. How does this work on a car with ID6, as ID6 cannot have Google maps without adding an MMI box? How does the display connect to the internet to get current route information?

For others in the thread.. I found that the manufacturer of this cluster is SZ-Kianda in China... I have written a couple of suppliers to ask specifically if the cluster auto-recognizes the current odometer mileage. Current price on AliExpress is around €725.00, so depending on what I hear back, I may take a shot and report back findings. It would be helpful if ben.jongbin could provide clarification on that specific question, and whether or not cluster interferes with HUD display of BMW navigation instructions.

It looks like a nice bit of kit, if it works. Allows selection of color scheme to your liking, plus more display options than OEM. I do wonder if it responds to input from rotary dial, or requires stalk manipulation.

Last edited by shortbusruss; 08-22-2022 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 01:35 PM   #11
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

you can get 6wb for $1k on ebay all day long.
      08-22-2022, 02:11 PM   #12
shortbusruss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
you can get 6wb for $1k on ebay all day long.
Yes, with unknown provenance. Might be sanitized. Might not be. Plus, will need coding.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 05:12 AM   #13
shortbusruss
Rep

So, after a little bit more research, these clusters can be had for ~$850 from China, and from what I have seen on videos, you set the odometer manually using the steering wheel controls.

So, assuming the cluster works as expected, (and it seems to, from the run through videos...) what do you guys and gals think? I am willing to take the hit and order one and give feedback.

It looks like it requires no programming, and take signal from the preexisting cluster wires, provides rpm + speed, plus trip computer, fuel usage, etc. I know I might need to verify accuracy of mileage tracking via OBD2 every once in awhile, and might need to have the original cluster reinstalled / reprogrammed if I sell the car (if that is even possible..). More color / display form choices,, etc.. Figure I can take it up the road and back a few times until it ticks over to the next mile exactly, then park it and do the swap, and put the exact mileage in manually, and see how well it tracks with ECU mileage. Even has the ability to match up maintenance schedules, as far as I can see.

What do you think? Is not having the digital display hooked into the ECU stats that big a deal? At that price without programming needed, Ican always drive it a year or two and switch back if it becomes a problem.. what say you?

Last edited by shortbusruss; 08-23-2022 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 05:25 AM   #14
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So, after a little bit more research, these clusters can be had for ~$700 from China, and from what I have seen on videos, you set the odometer manually using the steering wheel controls.

So, assuming the cluster works as expected, (and it seems to, from the run through videos...) what do you guys and gals think? I am willing to take the hit and order one and give feedback.

It looks like it requires no programming, and take signal from the preexisting cluster wires, provides rpm + speed, plus trip computer, fuel usage, etc. I know I might need to verify accuracy of mileage tracking via OBD2 every once in awhile, and might need to have the original cluster reinstalled / reprogrammed if I sell the car (if that is even possible..). More color / display form choices,, etc.. Figure I can take it up the road and back a few times until it ticks over to the next mile exactly, then park it and do the swap, and put the exact mileage in manually, and see how well it tracks with ECU mileage. Even has the ability to match up maintenance schedules, as far as I can see.

What do you think? Is not having the digital display hooked into the ECU stats that big a deal? At that price without programming needed, Ican always drive it a year or two and switch back if it becomes a problem.. what say you?
*In Palpatine voice* Do it!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 05:56 AM   #15
shortbusruss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
*In Palpatine voice* Do it!
I did it! Will update in a week or two. I am in Germany, and product says it ships from Spain (although it is on AliExpress...). Shouldn't take long if that info is correct..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 07:05 AM   #16
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

I heard from some installer that some oem features don’t work, i forgot what features though…
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 07:32 AM   #17
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

Quote:
In Germany, a brand new 6WB is approx. half the price w/o MwSt: https://www.salesafter.eu/advanced_s...b&inc_subcat=1
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 09:57 AM   #18
shortbusruss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J555 View Post
In Germany, a brand new 6WB is approx. half the price w/o MwSt: https://www.salesafter.eu/advanced_s...b&inc_subcat=1
For some reason, I thought that company dealt in only used goods. No worries, though. If I don't like this Chinese cluster, I can likely sell it on kleinanzeigen for close to what I paid for it, and go with one of these OEM clusters..

And that link is with taxes, though if it were closer, I would prolly be able to purchase with a VAT form and knock off another €200.. Never saw an online retailer that would waive VAT..

Thanks for the link!

Last edited by shortbusruss; 08-23-2022 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 10:44 AM   #19
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

Quote:
For some reason, I thought that company dealt in only used goods. No worries, though. If I don't like this Chinese cluster, I can likely sell it on kleinanzeigen for close to what I paid for it, and go with one of these OEM clusters..

And that link is with taxes, though if it were closer, I would prolly be able to purchase with a VAT form and knock off another €200.. Never saw an online retailer that would waive VAT..

Thanks for the link!
You're welcome It's a BMW dealership, everything brand new. Bought there lot of stuff (including my 6WB), without VAT, never ever any issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 11:10 AM   #20
shortbusruss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J555 View Post
You're welcome It's a BMW dealership, everything brand new. Bought there lot of stuff (including my 6WB), without VAT, never ever any issue.
Are you purchasing online VAT free? Or going into the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 11:26 AM   #21
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

so i've seen aftermarket gauge clusters for the E generation of BMWs, from companies like ID4 motion. they look really cool, but I figured something like this wouldn't be possible for the F generation cars like F30's. I could be completely wrong, but I thought the gauge cluster stores fault codes in our cars, hence the OEM unit is harder to replace, since you can't just stick a display screen in there and be done with it. I'm curious if this unit can work in harmony with the car and not cause any headaches in the future.

For me personally, without HUD support, I'm not interested.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 12:42 PM   #22
shortbusruss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
so i've seen aftermarket gauge clusters for the E generation of BMWs, from companies like ID4 motion. they look really cool, but I figured something like this wouldn't be possible for the F generation cars like F30's. I could be completely wrong, but I thought the gauge cluster stores fault codes in our cars, hence the OEM unit is harder to replace, since you can't just stick a display screen in there and be done with it. I'm curious if this unit can work in harmony with the car and not cause any headaches in the future.

For me personally, without HUD support, I'm not interested.
Maybe I don't really know the inner workings, but what would actually be transmitted from the digital cluster to the HUD? Doesn't the HUD get all signalling from the head unit?

Now, I can see it failing to receive BMW Navi directions in the center portion of the cluster (doesn't that need to be coded anyways?), but if I end up using Waze / Google Maps on the 8.8 screen anyways, with my upcoming MMI Prime retrofit, instead of BMW Navi, then it doesn't seem like like much functionality is lost with this unit. BMW Navi should still send signal to the HUD. From the videos I have seen, it tracks oil temperature, tire pressure, doors being open / shut, and a host of other things.Sure, odometer has to be set manually, but as long as ECU is tracking mileage properly, one can always go to an OEM cluster and all is right with the world.

Who knows? Maybe the combination of this cluster and the MMI Prime box is the magic pill and Waze / Google Maps turn-by-turn displays in the middle of the cluster? Or the cluster software can be updated to do so? Not holding my breath on that one, though.. MAN, wouldn't that be sweet?

Wouldn't any error codes still be displayed on the 8.8 screen?

Either way, I will do an English walk through video of my impressions when I install it, and a month or two after. We really need a good English review or two of these units on YouTube anyways, because it has been quite hard to find good videos on all the little stuff like that. I'll take one for the team, just to get it out there.

Falling back to a 6WB cluster from that German dealer won't be that much more expensive than just going with a bimmer-tech cluster. I kind of like the look of this cluster better, despite one minor misspelling I spotted in one of the menus, and a small range of vehicle models to display in the center portion of the console.

Last edited by shortbusruss; 08-23-2022 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0