F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Misfire P0303 ; replaced all spark plugs, swapped coils; no dice
GetBMWParts

10-10-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
socalr53
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

Misfire P0303 ; replaced all spark plugs, swapped coils; no dice

2014/328i/82k Miles/Dinan sport tune/M Perf. exhaust

Car vibrates and stalls when put on drive mode
Thought it was a simple fix; replaced all 4 spark plugs with brand new NGK-97506 (SILZKBR8D8S) still P0303. swapped coils between 2 and 3. Still the same code.

My next guess is injector, but at the same time I hate to throw parts at a problem. Is there any way to diagnose if the cyl# 3 injector is bad ? Or it could be something else ? Thanks for any pointers
      10-10-2021, 02:50 PM   #2
im_an_alien
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Pull codes and hook up to a good diagnosis machine before throwing $$ into it...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #3
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalr53 View Post
2014/328i/82k Miles/Dinan sport tune/M Perf. exhaust

Car vibrates and stalls when put on drive mode
Thought it was a simple fix; replaced all 4 spark plugs with brand new NGK-97506 (SILZKBR8D8S) still P0303. swapped coils between 2 and 3. Still the same code.

My next guess is injector, but at the same time I hate to throw parts at a problem. Is there any way to diagnose if the cyl# 3 injector is bad ? Or it could be something else ? Thanks for any pointers
If coils and plugs didn't work, sounds like it's injector then.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:02 AM   #4
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Before touching the injectors, I would borescope the cylinder and check compression. In the future, when you replace the plugs, that would be a good time to borescope. Injectors are expensive and require more time to swap in and out.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 12:25 PM   #5
socalr53
Private
Rep

Thanks guys! I appreciate the replies and suggestions

I am trying to set up a laptop to install latest ISTA. I have an old laptop setup that I used to run Rheingold with an OBDII to USB cable, but that isn't working for the F30. Looking into setting up the new cable and software.

BMWILUVU, I have an HFT inspection camera, but that's too big to fit in the plug hole. what would I be expected to see if I find camera small enough camera to fit in the cylinder ?
      10-11-2021, 12:53 PM   #6
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys! I appreciate the replies and suggestions

I am trying to set up a laptop to install latest ISTA. I have an old laptop setup that I used to run Rheingold with an OBDII to USB cable, but that isn't working for the F30. Looking into setting up the new cable and software.

BMWILUVU, I have an HFT inspection camera, but that's too big to fit in the plug hole. what would I be expected to see if I find camera small enough camera to fit in the cylinder ?
Inspect piston surface compare with the other pistons if there are any anomalies like one is shiny clean vs others or damage of any kind. If you can get a look at the wall, you can try to check for scoring. Its an easy check to do when you have your plugs out during a plug swap. I would also be looking at the plugs to see the same. A good skill is reading your plugs and may give you clues to what is going on.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #7
socalr53
Private
Rep

here are some pictures of the spark plugs I pulled. looks alright to me. couldn't find much difference in the appearance, so I didn't mark which one from cyl#3
Attached Images

10-11-2021, 02:23 PM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

The third one from the top looks noticeably darker than the others. Did you scan for codes? if the car is vibrating/stalling there should be some
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 04:35 PM   #9
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yes exactly slightly more carbon fouling. You should always make sure you know which plug came from which cylinder. The bet is the fouled is cylinder 3. Also,sometimes, a bad coil can ruin a plug and vice versa. I know you replaced all with new but not all at once so I would switch out the coil and plug between 3 and another cylinder one last time and see if the problem migrates before a compression test or take it to a mechanic for diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 01:33 PM   #10
socalr53
Private
Rep

Ok, I pulled the brand new plugs I installed last week from #2 and #3. Take a look at the#2 plug, it has more carbon than #3. I am puzzled. Was expecting that on #3, but it's on #2.

With the #2 plug and coil on #3 and vice versa, car still vibrates and stalls. logs error code P0303
Attached Images

10-12-2021, 01:43 PM   #11
socalr53
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
The third one from the top looks noticeably darker than the others. Did you scan for codes? if the car is vibrating/stalling there should be some
P0303
      10-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #12
socalr53
Private
Rep

Ok, I was able to install ISTA and pull the real bmw codes, finally!!

here it is
Attached Images

10-19-2021, 02:53 PM   #13
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Now that you have that capability, you should be able to swap plug and/or coil from #3 to say #1 and see if the problem follows the coil/plug, and if so, replace the problem component.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 03:41 PM   #14
socalr53
Private
Rep

Quote:
Now that you have that capability, you should be able to swap plug and/or coil from #3 to say #1 and see if the problem follows the coil/plug, and if so, replace the problem component.
The plug and coil on #3 is from #2, So it doesn't look like Coil or plug
I am leaning towards the fuel injector next, but before buying a new one, I was wondering if I can try an injector swap between #3 and another without damaging the injector itself? I read there is a teflon seal that gets sealed in when you install a new injector?
      10-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #15
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I am leaning towards the fuel injector next, but before buying a new one, I was wondering if I can try an injector swap between #3 and another without damaging the injector itself? I read there is a teflon seal that gets sealed in when you install a new injector?
No personal experience with injector swap so not sure, probably need to do a separate search.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:11 AM   #16
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So when the codes say cylinder misfire on #3, its usually but not always accurate and thats why we do selective component swaps between cylinders to verify. Theres obviously no sensor in the actual cylinder itself. BMW uses available sensors including the crankshaft sensor to attempt to assign problem to cylinders and usually it is accurate.
I see you are getting multiple shutdown of injectors so the vibrations. Heres the thing, dealerships when under warranty will get permission for and opt only to replace selective injectors just to get the car back on the road at the least cost to BMW. Otherwise, they often recommend replacing all of the injectors at once. I used to think this was an expensive rip-off but it actually makes more sense for various reasons as explained in ISTA. At the costs they are charging for BMW label injectors it is a rip-off but there is that recommendation hanging overhead.
You won't damage the injector if you are careful and since you have ISTA, you can follow the recommended process. I don't know if the 328 does for injector seals but the teflon ones on the B58 are a pain to install as they need to be stretched over the tip and then compressed. The seal rings can be bought at any dealership and cost $5-10 each usually. I always have a few extra around in case I need to go there. You can try swapping the injectors and see if the problem migrates. If you get problems in both, then you need to renew the teflon rings. Either way, when the injectors get reinstalled in-place for good, I would renew the teflon seal. The new injector should have new seals and should be no worries there.
This all said, this is expensive and time-consuming to swap diagnose, order, and/or replace all injectors. Before I would do this, I would test the compression on the cylinders to make sure they are holding all in the same PSI range to see if you have any serious issues injectors would not resolve. I would do the compression test first so that you may possibly rule out loss of compression through teflon seals from moving the injectors around.
I would say if you are at all unsure about this that I would let a trusted indy or a dealership diagnose and resolve since this can get complicated. For one, if you have a leaky injector, it can give you false positive on compression test for that cylinder. Did you ever have light grey exhaust vapors out the exhaust when your problems happened before injector shutdown?
Good luck.

Last edited by BMWILUVU; 10-21-2021 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
BimR245.00
      10-21-2021, 09:50 AM   #17
heifetz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

Let's go back to square one real quick. You have a misfire that's staying in #3 after a plug and coil swap. Your next step would be a compression and leakdown test. I also don't have experience with injectors on this particular engine, but verifying you don't have a ring or valve problem should be your next step before tearing in far enough to get injectors out, and it's something that can be checked in a matter of minutes.
      11-14-2021, 02:10 AM   #18
socalr53
Private
Rep

Thanks BMWILUVU and heifetz17 for your comments and information, I appreciate it. Have been busy, the car is still sitting in the garage catching dust.

BMWILUVU, No, I don't remember seeing light grey exhaust vapor. Something that I noticed now after the issue is that when it misfires, rpm goes up to 1000 and the exhaust comes out via both the exhaust pipes. Usually only one is open at idle , the 2nd one opens up after 4k rpm or so

Where do I get the compression tester that fits the F30 328i? The kit that local auto part shop rents/sells doesn't fit the 328i. I see good and bad reviews about the one harbor freight sells. anyone used that ? Thanks

Last edited by socalr53; 11-14-2021 at 02:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 01:10 PM   #19
socalr53
Private
Rep

no need for compression test ; the engine is shot for sure. Opened the oil cap while engine is running and the entire exhaust is coming out through it

What are my options at this point ? I bought this car from the dealer as CPO back in 2017. CPO warranty expired in dec 2019. Will BMW do any goodwill if I take it to the dealer? or time to look for a used engine ? Thanks guys!
      11-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #20
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Quote:
no need for compression test ; the engine is shot for sure. Opened the oil cap while engine is running and the entire exhaust is coming out through it

What are my options at this point ? I bought this car from the dealer as CPO back in 2017. CPO warranty expired in dec 2019. Will BMW do any goodwill if I take it to the dealer? or time to look for a used engine ? Thanks guys!
I think the first step is to go to dealer. Any Goodwill efforts can start after their diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 06:33 PM   #21
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Wait what? What do you mean the "entire exhaust is coming out" of the oil cap? Are you sure its different than it normally is?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 07:17 PM   #22
socalr53
Private
Rep

Quote:
Wait what? What do you mean the "entire exhaust is coming out" of the oil cap? Are you sure its different than it normally is?
because more smoke comes out of the oil cap than the exhaust. The positive pressure was so great that I couldn't easily close the cap after opening it. Yes I am absolutely sure it isn't normal
I will post a video

Thanks for the comment