F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > A good solution to keep your msport steering wheel crispy!
Extreme Powerhouse

11-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

Hey guys,
Tried Mother's VLR for the first time on my wheel last week....amazing matte finish like it was brand new! I have a 2014 f30 (in excellent condition to begin with) but was using Lexol prior to grabbling the VLR. This stuff didn't remove any dye off off my coral red seats and gave it a new matte finish as well! Looks brand new.

To apply I sprayed the VLR onto a clean shoe polish brush and rubbed gently over the wheel then rubbed off with a clean microfiber. Smell is fresh and clean and it looks amazing.

Keep in mind this is the original wheel leather that is 4 years old, 50k miles roughly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
B58557.50
      11-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep

One of the dirtier higher wear areas for me
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #3
cwinches
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i EBII F31

I've heard great things about VLR so I'll have to give it a try (I have some light staining on the passenger seat that needs work).

My previous car had the regular steering wheel and since acquiring one with the sports leather wheel I've noticed the combination of smooth leather and my sweaty palms leaves the leather sticky and grimy feeling. Have you noticed this at all and if so did the cleaning help? Mine is in similar condition (2014 MY, ~50K miles).
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinches View Post
I've heard great things about VLR so I'll have to give it a try (I have some light staining on the passenger seat that needs work).

My previous car had the regular steering wheel and since acquiring one with the sports leather wheel I've noticed the combination of smooth leather and my sweaty palms leaves the leather sticky and grimy feeling. Have you noticed this at all and if so did the cleaning help? Mine is in similar condition (2014 MY, ~50K miles).
It absolutely did help, it feels like brand new leather! No grimey oil left behind at all, it's actually pretty amazing. I have coral red seats and this stuff doesn't pull color, but it leaves the seats matte looking after a cleaning.

had good results with Lexol but the VLR so far is king.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi tanzanite blue

Garage List
Try using 303 protectant as post cleaning for protection. Spray on a microfabric towel to avoid overspray. And just wipe your seats, steering wheel, even door seals. Search it up in the forums for more reviews from others.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

nice . thanks for sharing

F30 328i M-Sport (current), F30 328i Luxury (retired), E92 335i Sports ( retired), E30 325 ( retired)
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #7
Firefly6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Xdrive

The gradual slickness of steering wheel leather (clean or not) has always been a pet peeve of mine. If this restores the grippiness of the leather I will certainly give it a try.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2018, 12:15 AM   #8
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly6 View Post
The gradual slickness of steering wheel leather (clean or not) has always been a pet peeve of mine. If this restores the grippiness of the leather I will certainly give it a try.
Yeah it definitely does make it like that. Make sure you spray the vlr on a soft bristle brush, try to work it into a foam then simply dry with a clean microfiber on the plush side. This stuff is legit.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
rbol13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkswoosh View Post
Try using 303 protectant as post cleaning for protection. Spray on a microfabric towel to avoid overspray. And just wipe your seats, steering wheel, even door seals. Search it up in the forums for more reviews from others.
Agreed good ser, the regular 303 for the rest of the interior and the leather specific 303 for the steering wheel. It's magic stuff and I will repeat that any time it's brought up.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #10
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperBimmer View Post
Hey guys,
Tried Mother's VLR for the first time on my wheel last week....amazing matte finish like it was brand new! I have a 2014 f30 (in excellent condition to begin with) but was using Lexol prior to grabbling the VLR. This stuff removed any dye off off my coral red seats and gave it a new matte finish as well! Looks brand new.

To apply I sprayed the VLR onto a clean shoe polish brush and rubbed gently over the wheel then rubbed off with a clean microfiber. Smell is fresh and clean and it looks amazing.

Keep in mind this is the original wheel leather that is 4 years old, 50k miles roughly.
Where did you purchase VLR?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #11
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
Quote:
Hey guys,
Tried Mother's VLR for the first time on my wheel last week....amazing matte finish like it was brand new! I have a 2014 f30 (in excellent condition to begin with) but was using Lexol prior to grabbling the VLR. This stuff removed any dye off off my coral red seats and gave it a new matte finish as well! Looks brand new.

Walmart..... you can get it at any auto store
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #12
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
It's on sale at Advance Auto currently. Regular Price 8.49 / Sale Price $5.00
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #13
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I've used every high end cleaner and conditioner you can imagine and have switched exclusively to VLR. Can't beat it for the price and works on everything. TBH the Dakota is so bad is more like plastic than leather anyway.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2019, 10:23 PM   #14
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I've used every high end cleaner and conditioner you can imagine and have switched exclusively to VLR. Can't beat it for the price and works on everything. TBH the Dakota is so bad is more like plastic than leather anyway.
I agree 100%. The steering wheel leather is fucking garbage on most every bmw I've owned over the last 18 years! VLR is king for me on the steering wheel and seats for sure. Proof that the high end bullshit detailing stuff is mostly a scam.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 10:34 PM   #15
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Good suggestions. Will give it a try. I have not tried VLR yet. My car is less than two years and i have not yet had issues with my steering wheel. I use a slight damp and soapy microfiber cloth; then dry it with a clean dry cloth. For me it seems to work well.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #16
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
Good suggestions. Will give it a try. I have not tried VLR yet. My car is less than two years and i have not yet had issues with my steering wheel. I use a slight damp and soapy microfiber cloth; then dry it with a clean dry cloth. For me it seems to work well.
Highly recommend for even new wheels and leather as this stuff doesn't glaze. I've also noted that the red coral dye doesn't off onto my lighter pants while using this.

Also....try meguires fast finish on leather seats....it actually water proof and stain-proofs then
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:07 AM   #17
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Quote:
Highly recommend for even new wheels and leather as this stuff doesn't glaze. I've also noted that the red coral dye doesn't off onto my lighter pants while using this.

Also....try meguires fast finish on leather seats....it actually water proof and stain-proofs then
Thanks. I have used Meguiars leather wipes for the leather in the car. So ever few months during my must clean and wax and protect everything on the car moments I use this product. I just find a little soapy wipe now and then keeps the wheel clean and less greasy. I will try VLR, because my only thing with the wipes is you definitely have to wipe off excess stuff off the wheel or it will be a bit slick for a day or two. For the seats, they usually look really good after a good cleaning and protective wipe down. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #18
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. I have used Meguiars leather wipes for the leather in the car. So ever few months during my must clean and wax and protect everything on the car moments I use this product. I just find a little soapy wipe now and then keeps the wheel clean and less greasy. I will try VLR, because my only thing with the wipes is you definitely have to wipe off excess stuff off the wheel or it will be a bit slick for a day or two. For the seats, they usually look really good after a good cleaning and protective wipe down. Thanks again for your suggestions.
You're welcome!! I've used the meguires wipes, no comparison. The VLR even if you don't wipe the steering wheel down, evaporates or flashes quickly. I don't know what's in it but definitely the best leather cleaner I've used in 20+ years.

I've also used it as a matte tire shine for my tires! It lasted a solid week in the rain and made the tire rubber look new.

Lastly I've used it to also condition my Breitling's rubber sport bracelet! It works incredibly good on that as well.
Appreciate 0