F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > dash cams, advice please!
Studio RSR

12-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #67
ViRUS_RiP
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by un1eash View Post
Dash cams are very easy DIY, even easier in BMW's with a fuse panel behind the glovebox if wanting parking mode or just use the cigarette lighter under neath.
Was wondering about the fuse panel by the glovebox... couldn't find much info, any idea which fuses to use for battery and acc?

I was planning on using the fuse box in the boot, however would prefer the front if poss.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #68
ukblade
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
Just nipped in to Halfords, fitting is £30 for front cam, £50 for front and rear, both are pretty good value as it includes the hardwire kit (£20 in store) and the piggy back fuse which are normally about £4.99. Just can't decide whether i need the Magic pro thingy me bob if i do go for the Blackvue 750, Garmins do get good reviews, decisions decisions !!
As you already realise it's £50 for 2 cameras but they also said as I've also bought the Magic Pro and cabling from them they'll install it all for the £50.
2nd Jan at my local Halfords for fitting so they're busier than I thought they'd be.
      12-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #69
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukblade View Post
As you already realise it's £50 for 2 cameras but they also said as I've also bought the Magic Pro and cabling from them they'll install it all for the £50.
2nd Jan at my local Halfords for fitting so they're busier than I thought they'd be.
Might have to get in tomorrow to order mine if that's the case, don't think the waiting list is as bad from our local Halfords. Was chatting to a bloke who was having a Garmin fitted, he had ordered it yesterday, said the waiting list is about two days.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 03:47 AM   #70
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i msport

Halford guy saying he can’t do the install and needs to book in with a mobile fitter for £60. Also because fuses are in the back he’s charge me £50 even for a front only cam

Assume he’s making it up?

Thinking to get a 512gw front and rear for myself and a Garmin 55 front for my wife’s VW
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 03:52 AM   #71
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Hard wiring is super easy. He is being a dick
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:36 AM   #72
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-c View Post
Hard wiring is super easy. He is being a dick
Tbh I don’t fancy sitting in Halfords for an hour while they fit it anyway. Having a mobile fitter come to me while I’m working from home is way more convenient and for £10 more including hardwire kit I’m happy with that. Have to wait until feb but I’ll set up via ciggy lighter under the glovebox for now

Wife’s polo is booked in for Monday at Halfords tonfit a Garmin 55. I’m going for Nextbase 512gw front and rear. Will try holding camera in tear location for DAB and if any issues I’ll just return it and have front only
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 05:19 AM   #73
ViRUS_RiP
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrklaw View Post
I’ll set up via ciggy lighter under the glovebox for now
That's fair enough. If you have a powerbank, you could use that as a temporary measure whilst parked. Think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I do this when parked anywhere from 10mins to a few hours. Using this method until I decide to hardwire, provides me with a little piece of mind when parked away from home.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 05:53 AM   #74
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRUS_RiP View Post
That's fair enough. If you have a powerbank, you could use that as a temporary measure whilst parked. Think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I do this when parked anywhere from 10mins to a few hours. Using this method until I decide to hardwire, provides me with a little piece of mind when parked away from home.
Sounds good. 512 has a battery built in so I’ll also test how long that lasts - supposed to have 30 minutes ‘active’ time so up to 15 incident recordings. Sounds great but let’s see
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #75
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Ordered my Blackvue 750's from Halfords yesterday for fitting next Saturday, one piece of really good news, is on the fitting, because its a single hard wiring piece, they only charge £30 as though its a front fit cam only, really isn't worth trying to fit it yourself when they will do a front and rear fit for 30 quid
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #76
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
really isn't worth trying to fit it yourself when they will do a front and rear fit for 30 quid
That depends on how they do it. If they just tuck the wires into the seals above the doors, it will work fine as a camera, but all bets are off if the curtain airbags deploy in an accident.

They need to run the cables at floor level to do it properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #77
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
That depends on how they do it. If they just tuck the wires into the seals above the doors, it will work fine as a camera, but all bets are off if the curtain airbags deploy in an accident.

They need to run the cables at floor level to do it properly.
Not sure how you can run the cables along the floor when the camera's are fitted at the top of both front and rear windows, logic tells you they will run it along the headlining and then down the window seal and then it differs depending on hard wiring or going to a cigarette lighter, being fitted properly it will be hard wired.

if its the airbags you are worried about, then yes i will be double checking it goes behind the airbag but i'm sure he will do that anyway. I'm sure they will make every attempt to do things as well as possible in the same way that all those from this forum who have fitted their own, will do exactly the same.

If its dangling dashcam wires after all the airbags have gone off that concerns you, then if the accident was serious enough to set off all the airbags then personally i think that dangling wires will be the last thing on your mind.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #78
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

The concern is a tight dashcam wire stopping the airbag from coming out properly
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #79
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xdrive

I installed a Viofo A129 dual cam, I ran the cable from the rear cam at floor level very easy to do. Also my original position for the rear cam was on the high level brake light cover but it was interfering with the DAB reception.

So I moved onto the parcel shelf and then rotated the image using the option in the dash cam menu.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #80
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not sure how you can run the cables along the floor when the camera's are fitted at the top of both front and rear windows, logic tells you they will run it along the headlining and then down the window seal and then it differs depending on hard wiring or going to a cigarette lighter, being fitted properly it will be hard wired.
There's enough length in the rear camera cable to run it below the doors. You need to extend the power cables to reach the rear fuse box though. I ran my cables across the top of the windscreen, down the A pillar, behind the dash, and down to the footwell. Then under the doors and up the C pillar (Touring) back up to roof level beyond any of the airbags.

Quote:
if its the airbags you are worried about, then yes i will be double checking it goes behind the airbag but i'm sure he will do that anyway. I'm sure they will make every attempt to do things as well as possible in the same way that all those from this forum who have fitted their own, will do exactly the same.

If its dangling dashcam wires after all the airbags have gone off that concerns you, then if the accident was serious enough to set off all the airbags then personally i think that dangling wires will be the last thing on your mind.
It's dashcam cables stopping the airbags from deploying correctly that concerns me with the headliner route. Don't underestimate how much work is involved to route the cables clear of the airbags, and I'm not convinced that £30 buys you that level of care. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I expect they will just tuck the wires behind the seals.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #81
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I had the hardwire wire option fitted by Halfords for my garmin 55..the wires run along the floor on the drivers side under the trim to the fuses in the back.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #82
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=
It's dashcam cables stopping the airbags from deploying correctly that concerns me with the headliner route. Don't underestimate how much work is involved to route the cables clear of the airbags, and I'm not convinced that £30 buys you that level of care. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I expect they will just tuck the wires behind the seals.[/QUOTE]

We will just have to wait and see wont we, i know the fitting takes roughly an hour and a half to do, so he's certainly not rushing it. Now its been pointed out to me by a couple of you to run the wiring along the floor i will definitely be mentioning this to the fitter. Though i'm sure he will say he already knew this and always fits them that way !

I will let you know next Saturday.

Can i assume you are an auto electrician, or own a business that carries out this kind of work ?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #83
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep

There is no airbag logo on my A-pillar, so does that mean no airbag?

Also I don’t know if this is only on coupes because for the frameless doors, but there is a run of felt-type material inside of the normal rubber edging. Can’t easily go over that to the rubber, so have run some cable down it but it is a bit tight and not sure it’s ideal
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #84
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
We will just have to wait and see wont we, i know the fitting takes roughly an hour and a half to do, so he's certainly not rushing it. Now its been pointed out to me by a couple of you to run the wiring along the floor i will definitely be mentioning this to the fitter. Though i'm sure he will say he already knew this and always fits them that way !
I'm pleasantly surprised to hear they allow that much time for an install. That should be long enough to do a decent job. Although the top route is the obvious one, I think it would actually take longer to route the cables behind the airbags than it would to run at floor level. That said, mine's a Touring, so there's possibly a bit more trim to work with at the back.

Quote:
Can i assume you are an auto electrician, or own a business that carries out this kind of work ?
Not at all. I do 3D CAD design as a day job, although I do have an electronics background which helps. My problem is that I'm massively OCD with my cars, and anything I do to them. I've been working on cars (as a hobby) for most of my adult lift, so actually enjoy doing this sort of stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #85
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=ian332isport;24121484
Not at all. I do 3D CAD design as a day job, although I do have an electronics background which helps. My problem is that I'm massively OCD with my cars, and anything I do to them. I've been working on cars (as a hobby) for most of my adult lift, so actually enjoy doing this sort of stuff.[/QUOTE]

Shame you don't live locally, i would happily let you install it for me

I think Halfords actually allow a two hour window for fitting front and rear cameras Will let you know what happens in a weeks time.
Appreciate 0