F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Brexit... (Moderator: non-political only, effective Sept 2020)
Studio RSR

12-13-2018, 03:08 AM   #397
Jimbob335DX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D XDrive

Its the chuffing media that really pish me off

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...cid=spartanntp

How in the chuffing hell, can.. "terrorism is just a part of living in a city" be the next choice for leader of the cons.... ffs... get a grip you tossers...
      12-13-2018, 03:10 AM   #398
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob335DX View Post
Can we not have another vote, because some people might have changed their minds by now, and today is not yesterday, they need to make sure they made the right choice. Is not right that now they have seen the result that they should get to vote again. Maybe it wasn't the result that they wanted?
Are you serious? The Tories had a vote in 2016 and voted in Theresa May as their leader. In 2018 they had another vote.

I repeat for those not listening at the back, in 2018 they had another vote.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 03:15 AM   #399
Jimbob335DX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Are you serious? The Tories had a vote in 2016 and voted in Theresa May as their leader. In 2018 they had another vote.

I'm never serious....

I love it though, the political shinnagins are great. Some hate it... but its brilliant.

I'm so looking forward to Corbyns promise to raise a vote of no confidence in the government before Christmas.

Its gonna be ace!!!

I love the total distrust of the Opposition, where every word or phrase is pawed over to see if it means something else, or could be misconstrued.

May this go on for a long time!!
      12-13-2018, 03:16 AM   #400
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Its the chuffing media that really pish me off

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...cid=spartanntp

How in the chuffing hell, can.. "terrorism is just a part of living in a city" be the next choice for leader of the cons.... ffs... get a grip you tossers...
Surely that quote was the mayor Sadiq Khan. Still, I suppose they all look the same.
Appreciate 2
JD64270.50
1 AKY459.00
      12-13-2018, 03:23 AM   #401
Jimbob335DX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Surely that quote was the mayor Sadiq Khan. Still, I suppose they all look the same.
Ohhh the Irony....
      12-13-2018, 06:14 AM   #402
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ohhh the Irony....
Nope, don't see it, right over my head that one.

Is it somewhere where you mistook two Asian people, who look nothing like each other, and one is a Tory and the other a member of the Labour Party?

It's like getting mixed up between Jacob Rees Mogg and Jeremy Corbyn. Easily done I guess.
Appreciate 3
JD64270.50
1 AKY459.00
sahajesh2294.00
      12-14-2018, 04:51 AM   #403
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Ohhh the Irony....
The irony of being found out?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 06:25 AM   #404
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Apparently members of the ERG under Reed-Mogg are talking about going 'on strike' over the current situation with Brexit.
Love it! Yeh, that's really going to bring the country to a standstill, Jacob - you pompous c**t
      12-14-2018, 06:53 AM   #405
Skwirrel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Apparently members of the ERG under Reed-Mogg are talking about going 'on strike' over the current situation with Brexit.
Love it! Yeh, that's really going to bring the country to a standstill, Jacob - you pompous c**t
I'll wager they don't do much anyway so going on strike will make no difference whatsoever.

An amusing feature from the guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/13/erg-theresa-may-brexit
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #406
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
I am reminded of this tube sign

Appreciate 3
Wills28656.00
RobUK2811.00
      12-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #407
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

How will we cope? LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 02:33 AM   #408
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
How will we notice?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #409
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:

Yes but probably only fair to point out they actually implemented the result of the first vote before deciding to have another!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #410
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Yes but probably only fair to point out they actually implemented the result of the first vote before deciding to have another!
Great idea. Let's implement Brexit. Anyone know what that is yet?!? Then we can vote to rejoin straight after. Not like there's anything else going on in our country that should be keeping our politicians busy.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #411
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Great idea. Let's implement Brexit. Anyone know what that is yet?!? Then we can vote to rejoin straight after. Not like there's anything else going on in our country that should be keeping our politicians busy.
All I was pointing out was your comparison of one vote in 2016 being followed by another in 2018 wasn't like for like because the result of one was implemented whereas the result of the other wasn't (or at least hasn't been so far). From what I can see the only similarity between the vote in the referendum and the vote of confidence in Theresa May is in both cases at least some of those on the losing side are unwilling to accept the outcome (ironically including a certain Jacob Rees-Mogg in the case of the vote of confidence in TM!).

Therefore, to imply a further referendum is justified purely because the Tory Party held a vote of confidence in their leader two years after her election doesn't make sense in my view; the circumstances are completely different and, while there may be a case for a further referendum, if there is that's not it!

Whether it now makes sense to implement the result of the 2016 referendum is a fair but different question IMO....
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #412
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
All I was pointing out was your comparison of one vote in 2016 being followed by another in 2018 wasn't like for like because the result of one was implemented whereas the result of the other wasn't (or at least hasn't been so far). From what I can see the only similarity between the vote in the referendum and the vote of confidence in Theresa May is in both cases at least some of those on the losing side are unwilling to accept the outcome (ironically including a certain Jacob Rees-Mogg in the case of the vote of confidence in TM!).

Therefore, to imply a further referendum is justified purely because the Tory Party held a vote of confidence in their leader two years after her election doesn't make sense in my view; the circumstances are completely different and, while there may be a case for a further referendum, if there is that's not it!

Whether it now makes sense to implement the result of the 2016 referendum is a fair but different question IMO....
Goodness, what a serious answer. My first comment a few days ago was supposed to be a joke......aimed at all those who say we shouldn't be allowed to vote twice. It wasn't supposed to be a direct comparison, you did that.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 06:19 PM   #413
nawz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI 440i

I genuinely believe, those who voted "leave" voted quite differently. One assuming "leave" meaning to actually leave with a "no deal" whereas the other portion most likely meant "leaving" the current rules on much better terms such as migration and budgets etc. Those who voted "remain" are those that won't sway their mind at all relatively speaking. I believe if you were to offer another vote, you would have a lot more "swing" voters opting to "remain" largely because of the poor deal that's been arranged.

Personally, I voted remain, only largely because we have an incompetent government and political "leaders" that put their own political agendas ahead of the nation. Hence, the thought of them trying to muster a deal would end in a shit show. Which is now evident. Also the fact that you have many MPs that are in roles they really have no industry experience in. Most of them blag their way out of answering the question and deflecting.

The U.K. can prosper greatly outside of the E. U. In all sectors within the economy. We are relatively strong and exciteful. It'll take probably a decade to get the right agreements in place if we aren't so handicapped. Which is what the proposed arrangement/deal is going to do. We're sort of half in and out which doesn't bode well for any strategy.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:29 AM   #414
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i msport

its so infuriating hearing May saying a second referendum would be undemocratic even though the original referendum was advisory only - a binding one would have required a much larger majority.

Everything the government has done since the vote is on their own volition and they could stop it tomorrow if they wanted to (which they clearly don't)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #415
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrklaw View Post
its so infuriating hearing May saying a second referendum would be undemocratic even though the original referendum was advisory only - a binding one would have required a much larger majority.

Everything the government has done since the vote is on their own volition and they could stop it tomorrow if they wanted to (which they clearly don't)
May has backed herself into a corner now and her much praised resilience is masking a stubbornness and lack of flexibility which will bring her down. Good riddance to her

Our politicians have f***ed us over royally with Brexit.... and will doubtless continue to do so
      12-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #416
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:

Instead of resigning, Cameron should have stuck around and said that the result was not clear either way so until it was we would stick with the status quo.... a couple of months of screaming and shouting, he could then have resigned as the bad man and let the new leader come in with a simpler job.

But he was as useless as the current lot....
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #417
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:

I think May has to rule out a referendum and all other options while she is still attempting to get her hopeless deal through.

As soon as it becomes clear to her that the deal is dead, either if it is voted down, or she realises that she'll lose by 200 votes, then she can put other choices on the table.

As someone who has been banging on about a second referendum for years, even I would expect her to rule one out for now, just as she ruled out calling a general election after becoming leader...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #418
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I think May has to rule out a referendum and all other options while she is still attempting to get her hopeless deal through.

As soon as it becomes clear to her that the deal is dead, either if it is voted down, or she realises that she'll lose by 200 votes, then she can put other choices on the table.

As someone who has been banging on about a second referendum for years, even I would expect her to rule one out for now, just as she ruled out calling a general election after becoming leader...
I sincerely hope she dosn’t have another referendum and as it rather unlikely the E.U. will of much assistance to her with her Chequers Deal, it could well be a no-deal Brexit.

When the majority of people at the referendum voted for Brexit, which meant at the time we would leave the E.U. and whether you like it or not that is what people democratically voted for.

I say if Brexit means a clean break, so-be-it!

Whatever happens and if for a while the country’s situation is grim it cannot be for sure be as bad as conditions were in the ‘70’s when we had the 3 day working week due to Trade Union solidarity striking, bringing industry and the country almost to its knees in every way, including burying the dead.

So with that period of my working life in mind, even though I was in mining engineering, I have no worries for this country of a clean break Brexit.
Our biggest potential worry by far for the U.K. sits on the opposition benches of the House of Commons.

I say bring it on and let us be an independent country as we have been for 1000 years and not let us be just a State in the E.U.

And Rees-Mogg? I rather like him for his speech making eloquence, his iintellegence and his ability to keep calm when being insulated and coming back with crushing answers. Many examples of which can be seen on YouTube.
He needs to be sitting on the Government front benches.
Appreciate 0