F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > 340i passenger mirror tilt not working.
Studio RSR

04-22-2022, 04:32 AM   #1
BigTuna63
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i Xdrive

340i passenger mirror tilt not working.

I can't seem to pin down my exact problem through search engines. My 2017 340i passenger side mirror, about a month ago, stopped tilting down when the vehicle was put in reverse. Yesterday, after replacing the mirror cap with a carbon fiber one and the turn signal with a smoked sequential one, the passenger mirror would not respond to up, down, left, or right. The drivers mirror received the same upgrades and continues to function as expected. It was starting to become dark out last night, but I was able to confirm that there was the expected "motor noise" coming from the passenger mirror when I was using the switch to make the mirror go up, down, left, or right. So I'm getting a mechanical noise that seems correct, but no actual movement. Did my mirror motor fail? Is there a way to bench test it? Is there anything else I should check prior to bringing it to a BMW dealership? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 09:17 AM   #2
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

The passenger mirror dip in reverse will only happen if the mirror select switch is set to the driver side. It sounds like you might not have the passenger mirror rear attachment installed on the motor correctly after having the mirror cap replaced (so motor moves but mirror face doesn’t).
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910942.50
      04-22-2022, 09:57 AM   #3
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
The passenger mirror dip in reverse will only happen if the mirror select switch is set to the driver side. It sounds like you might not have the passenger mirror rear attachment installed on the motor correctly after having the mirror cap replaced (so motor moves but mirror face doesn't).
+1 on the mirror switch being set wrong. My kids sometimes bump it when they at play driving (when the car is parked they like to sit on the front seat). I often forget to look and at first I kept thinking something was broken with the mirror motor. But once I learned that they were messing with the switch….it became an easy fix. But at first I sort of forgot to check and kept wondering what had happened. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 12:26 PM   #4
BigTuna63
Rep

Thanks visionaut and CajunBMW. I will check into that tomorrow after I get out of work. Finger's crossed I installed the mirror back onto the motor incorrectly.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

The fact that you said you have motor noises but no mirror movement, hints that something else is wrong now, but originally it was likely the switch was on the passenger side like others said.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 04:16 PM   #6
BigTuna63
Rep

Fixed it everybody. The switch was selected to the passenger side so that explains the tilt in reverse issue. Somehow I forgot to take my purse off when reinstalling the glass onto the mirror but when I pushed harder and got some movement the mirror works again. Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 1
visionaut1320.50