F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What do you dislike about the 340i?
GetBMWParts

01-27-2018, 02:19 AM   #111
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I wish BMW would offer a sync button in the three series as a subscription-based service. I would gladly pay two or three dollars a month for this feature.
Appreciate 1
otay826.00
      01-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #112
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Performance Editio

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggsy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skifaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali820 View Post
The lack of single zone climate controls bothered me too. I just set the passenger side to a comfortable temp and leave it alone.
I found a comment in an old thread somewhere else, suggesting that pressing and holding the Auto button for a few seconds might enable L-R sync'ing of the climate settings, but there was no followup on it.

I guess if that were true then there probably wouldn't be dozens of internet threads complaining about lack of sync. Can anyone here confirm or refute it? (That holding the Auto button invokes sync.)
Refute I'm afraid, holding Auto does nothing.

The most annoying thing in my mind is that it's such a basic function, particularly for a 'premium' brand, I just can't understand why BMW would omit it? To your point, even holding down Auto would suffice, so it would add no cost as it'd purely be software.
This is what Audi does.

It seems like something they should just add in an update. I don't understand why one simple line of code can not be integrated like this.

This is likely the simplest and biggest complaint for the 3 series.
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 01:10 PM   #113
skifaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi A4

^^^ That's what I was afraid of.
Thanks for the replies juggsy and jager.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #114
Rob340i
Sergeant First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

Maybe i am confused.... does it not have individual climate control where both can be seperate or does it not have sync climate control where they are mirrored on both sides? I dont think i have ever had a car that sync dual climate controll except my audi A4 and i think its actually annoying my wife is always cold and im always hot so the sync never gets used and I like individual climate control. I dont understand the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #115
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Performance Editio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob340i View Post
Maybe i am confused.... does it not have individual climate control where both can be seperate or does it not have sync climate control where they are mirrored on both sides? I dont think i have ever had a car that sync dual climate controll except my audi A4 and i think its actually annoying my wife is always cold and im always hot so the sync never gets used and I like individual climate control. I dont understand the issue.
They can't be synced together. When someone predominantly drives with one person in the car, it's a big annoyance.

Pretty much every manufacturer allows syncing
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 08:12 PM   #116
skifaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishowerinjager View Post
They can't be synced together. When someone predominantly drives with one person in the car, it's a big annoyance.

Pretty much every manufacturer allows syncing
^^^ Yep. This. :-(

As I was driving in my Impreza with single-zone non-auto HVAC, I realized this issue isn't just about temperature setting, but also vent position (where air blows from).

For example, in winter I switch between floor and windshield+floor ALL THE TIME. If it's cold and dry out, I use floor + whatever temp is comfortable. If it's humid and the windshield gets foggy I switch to floor+windshield, which also switches on the AC system. If I get behind a tractor trailer (or anything that smells bad - Im really sensitive to this) I switch from outside-air to recirc and from floor to floor+windshield, again so the windshield doesn't fog.

It seems like w/o sync'ing, I'll have to manage both temperature and vent position for 2 sides. (Hmmm, this is possibly a dealbreaker for me.)

Out of curiosity, does BMW at least turn on the AC system automatically when you switch the vent position to windshield or floor+windshield?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 10:03 PM   #117
dorkiedoode
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i M Performance

another complain about this car that just happened recently. im at 3500 miles now and the creaking in the roof/doors is beyond annoying! sometime i like to drive without the music so i can hear the exhaust but this thing creaks at every bump... then there's certain time where it's completely silence.

Last edited by dorkiedoode; 01-28-2018 at 01:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 11:32 AM   #118
mr0008
MR0008
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob340i View Post
Like I said I did a lot of research before, I purchased the car, especially since i am paying $50k+ on something i have never driven. I know the car is a great car and have owned BMWs in the past. I really wanted to know what people are finding annoying about the car like the center consol, i have heard of the creaking complaints this is the first im hearing of it coming from the dash. Now I can start to look for this when i take delivery and posibly have a solution in mind or at least be mentally prepared for it so i am not overly dissappointed.
-Rob
I've had my 340i for 10 months and it has been driven mostly on highways, with limited miles in stop and go traffic. I have the mppsk, track handling, M Sport, and a few other comfort packages. The Dinan Stage 1 + Performance Spring Set / Ride Quality & Handling Kit will be added next month. So far no issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #119
m3shelly
Rep
Drives: 1988 M3, 2000 M5, 2017 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
It for the time being can be coded out with FDL coding.

Fem_body -> TCM_STARTLOCK_CLUTCH: aktiv -> nicht_aktiv
Fem_body -> TCM_STARTLOCK_BRAKE: nicht_aktiv -> aktiv

Given that those flags don't say 'rev' I fear that the fact that that works is a bug that they may patch. Let's hope not. So you have to hold the brake to start now, and yes you still do have to disengage the clutch. It's weird, but we'll take it.

It is also disabled in DSC off mode (hold traction button down for 5 seconds). But street driving without DSC every day is not the best idea. And it uses the comfort throttle map so you can modulate best on track. But the fake sport throttle map is a lot better to blip with around town.

So the coding is best and it's gives a much better driving experience. There should be a novice/normal mode in idrive but there isn't.

There's a post out there about TCM_STARTLOCK_DRIVINGREADINESS doing the trick, but I tried that and it didn't do anything besides throw a bunch of codes about auto start stop malfunction ... I wonder what that flag is, maybe I did it wrong..

I haven't found a way to disable the hill holder yet
I tried disabling in DSC Off mode, with no luck. Maybe I wasn't holding long enough. But, I just tested this coding option on my 2018 340i, and this still works to remove Rev Matching. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 10:25 PM   #120
captainfast
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 330e 2016

1. Seem to attract people to race you.
2. Light steering.
3. No a/c temperature sync button.
Appreciate 1
F30_Paul_116.00
      05-07-2021, 01:13 AM   #121
Isaac_b
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
Okay, there was one thing that "irked" me and that was the screen size. To many, it's probably just fine but to me, it was too short (8.8") so I tossed a 10.2" OEM from an F15/16 in and am now happy. The Android screen was just too distracting and buggy...
How much did that screen cost?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 09:05 AM   #122
StannisBaratheon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Xdrive

Things I don't like about my 340i xDrive:
  • Whistling/howling noise that occurs under light throttle over 35 mph. Still haven't tracked this down. Also happens when coasting
  • Car is a little jerky taking off from cold start but not a big deal
  • Light steering with zero feedback
  • No Apple Carplay in the 2016 model
  • Climate zones aren't synced
  • Can't figure out how to get the windshield wipers to work the way I want
  • The shiny faux wood by the shifter that can be blinding in certain light
  • Storage area under the armrest is so small it's pretty much useless
  • The seats can be a little stiff for longer road trips
  • Adaptive cruise control isn't standard on a $60k BMW but it is on my wife's Passat?
  • I'm taller and the steering wheel rubs the top of my leg depending on the shoes I'm wearing
  • M sport steering wheel should have been standard for the 340i
  • Horn sounds weak
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 03:17 PM   #123
parch8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9816 340i xdrive alpine

I love mine the one gripe I have is the steering isn't super great, you don't get nearly the road feel I'd like to have. I've never owned any performance car besides this but the steering feels dead to me That being said there is not a day that goes by that I don't absolutely love my car. Looks great, transmission is amazing and the engine is fantastic. Throw a OtS tune on and you'll beat a lot of cars out there. As others stated it's not an m3 but it's a great daily
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 06:56 AM   #124
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
It for the time being can be coded out with FDL coding.

Fem_body -> TCM_STARTLOCK_CLUTCH: aktiv -> nicht_aktiv
Fem_body -> TCM_STARTLOCK_BRAKE: nicht_aktiv -> aktiv

Given that those flags don't say 'rev' I fear that the fact that that works is a bug that they may patch. Let's hope not. So you have to hold the brake to start now, and yes you still do have to disengage the clutch. It's weird, but we'll take it.

It is also disabled in DSC off mode (hold traction button down for 5 seconds). But street driving without DSC every day is not the best idea. And it uses the comfort throttle map so you can modulate best on track. But the fake sport throttle map is a lot better to blip with around town.

So the coding is best and it's gives a much better driving experience. There should be a novice/normal mode in idrive but there isn't.

There's a post out there about TCM_STARTLOCK_DRIVINGREADINESS doing the trick, but I tried that and it didn't do anything besides throw a bunch of codes about auto start stop malfunction ... I wonder what that flag is, maybe I did it wrong..

I haven't found a way to disable the hill holder yet

Thank you for this...been meaning to get this done for a year! I hope I haven't forgotten how to revmatch!

What's FDL coding? Is that the 'file' I get to in Bimmercode to access the FEM module? (Sorry...new with 'our' acronyms!) I think that's where I fixed my 'gear change' to show the gear I'm in.

Do you get warning signals now, having turned revmatching off?

You just have to apply brake and have the car in neutral (but don't 'have' to have the foot on the clutch...is that right?)

Thank you so much!

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 12:44 PM   #125
F30_Paul_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

This car should have remote start at $60k
Appreciate 0