F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Closed air intake duct
proTUNING Freaks

06-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #1
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

Closed air intake duct

I recently realized my car is one of those that hasn't the typical air intake with grille behind the left kidney, but it's closed (see the pic). The realoem also shows the parts 14 & 15 are not in my car, and the duct intake is straight from the front (see the other pic).

Even after quite extensive research, I haven't found any definitive answers to a few of my very basic questions; hope somebody can help, please:
1. While having straight and not exposed intake can make perfect sense, from where it actually sucks the fresh air?
2. Is it worth changing it for the more usual duct from behind the kidney grille?
3. What happens, when a significant amount of water (from rain, snow, or wash) gets into the intake?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #2
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

It pulls air from behind the headlight.

It won't provide a noticeable hp gain but it's nice to have.

The intake box has a flap on the inside, so if the grille gets blocked by snow then it can still suck in air from the engine bay. If you're in a situation where water is going into the intake then you have other issues and that cap won't change anything.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
J555568.50
      06-14-2021, 08:32 AM   #3
Dronamashina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340ix

I didn’t have any issues with water or snow.
Appreciate 1
J555568.50
      06-14-2021, 08:45 AM   #4
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

Parts 14 & 15 replace part 13, and are part of the 'hot climate' kit.

I think all cars in North America come with it, European cars don't. I'm in Canada and my 340i has it.
Appreciate 1
J555568.50
      06-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #5
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

I have the typical North American version with the vent. I have not had any issues while driving in the torrential rains that often occur in Louisiana and Texas. There are drain holes I believe that do drain water should it enter the front part of the vent.

I can tell you what happens if you get a lot of water in the intake. You hydrolock your engine and need a new engine. That is why I have and F30 and not an e46. My wife got caught in our old bmw in an unexpected high water situation because of a clogged storm drain and did not realize how high the water was since this was near our house and had not happened before. She was hoping to go slow but saw the truck in front speed up and so she did as well. A wall of water hit the front end and a lot of that water got sucked into the intake; through the filter and into the engine. Net result, dead engine and a new car needed.
Appreciate 2
J555568.50
      06-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #6
J555
Captain
Rep

Thanks a lot for all your comments and suggestions, guys!

As we have some heavy rains or snowing during the year, it sounds wise to keep it as it is. Especially if no significant gains can be expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
I can tell you what happens if you get a lot of water in the intake. You hydrolock your engine and need a new engine. That is why I have and F30 and not an e46. My wife got caught in our old bmw in an unexpected high water situation because of a clogged storm drain and did not realize how high the water was since this was near our house and had not happened before. She was hoping to go slow but saw the truck in front speed up and so she did as well. A wall of water hit the front end and a lot of that water got sucked into the intake; through the filter and into the engine. Net result, dead engine and a new car needed.
What a pity, sorry to hear that...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 06:11 PM   #7
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J555 View Post
Thanks a lot for all your comments and suggestions, guys!

As we have some heavy rains or snowing during the year, it sounds wise to keep it as it is. Especially if no significant gains can be expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
What a pity, sorry to hear that...
No one was hurt and that was in the end what mattered. It was also an older car at that time. But it was running well and was in great shape, so it was a shame. This was a few years ago when this happened. I bought a new 340 to replace the old e46 330 that was ruined and I have been very happy with this newer car. So I guess everything in the end worked out ok. But it was a shocker to hear the extent of the damage from our local shop.
Appreciate 1
J555568.50
      06-17-2021, 06:16 AM   #8
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

Quote:
You'll be fine installing it. I'm in Southern Ontario, Canada, and we get very heavy snow off the great lakes that I drive through all the time. I've even installed the aFe air scoop.

CajunBMW is talking about driving into deep water and sucking it in, not heavy rain.
Appreciate 1
J555568.50
      06-17-2021, 06:25 AM   #9
J555
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
You'll be fine installing it. I'm in Southern Ontario, Canada, and we get very heavy snow off the great lakes that I drive through all the time. I've even installed the aFe air scoop.

CajunBMW is talking about driving into deep water and sucking it in, not heavy rain.
Thanks for your experience - I wanted to change it as part of the intake upgrade. For now, I leave it as it is, but can revive the idea as soon as run out of other upgrades planned
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 08:21 AM   #10
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I've seen people revert back to the bumper intake. Mine is also "open", in the engine bay.
There must be some advantages of sucking outside air instead of hot engine bay air, I'd think.....

At least for the 40i engine - have you noticed the temperature under the bonnet... after just a normal ride? I can barely touch my right fender.........
      06-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #11
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I've seen people revert back to the bumper intake. Mine is also "open", in the engine bay.
There must be some advantages of sucking outside air instead of hot engine bay air, I'd think.....

At least for the 40i engine - have you noticed the temperature under the bonnet... after just a normal ride? I can barely touch my right fender.........
I agree with you. It seems like it is to get as much fresh air (that may be sort of cool) from the front of the car. As the car heats up as you noted the car gets very hot and then in places with really hot summers everything else is also truly hot. In the summer it is not unusual to have 100-110F air temps where we live (along with lots of humidity). The black asphalt roads heats up to more that 160F. Heck look in the western US right now, temps are above 115 F. In some places it gets too hot for small planes to generate enough lift. I am guessing the air coming in the front is cooler than in other places around the car and thus probably why this is a warm climate thing. Just my unscientific thoughts.
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      06-17-2021, 11:22 AM   #12
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
Quote:

Yes absolutely I was talking about why it is bad to drive in high water. I also noted that I have never had issues when driving through torrential rains in either car (e46 330 or f30 340), as long as of course you stay away from high water.
Appreciate 1
Th3Walrus340.50