F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > rhythmic thunk under braking after new rotors+pads
GetBMWParts

09-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #1
fscuderia23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i EBII + PPK/MPE

rhythmic thunk under braking after new rotors+pads

Hey all,

I just had new Brembo 09.C399.13 front rotors and new Akebono Eur1880 front pads put on my 2014 335i w/ m sport brakes (blue calipers).
Wondering if anyone's experienced this issue; under slightly harder than normal braking, I'm getting a thunk/clunk (kind of like if a bushing is going bad) however its frequency varies with how fast the wheel is spinning. This didn't happen before this rotor/pad change so the suspicion is that it is related to changing these two parts. Previously I was running the same Akebono Eur1880s with a Zimmerman OE M performance style (dimpled/slotted) single piece rotor and did not experience this, however I was annoyed with the notorious clicking sounds that come with the dimpled/slotted setup. The shop thinks the shims on the akebonos aren't quite right or they dont pair well with the brembos, causing the noise but this in my head makes no sense as I've run the same kind of akebono pads before for 30k miles...

any insight would be appreciated! thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 09:08 AM   #2
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

I would inspect your Tension Strut/Front Control Arm bushing. The noise that comes out of this will be variable with different speed and braking pressures since it is the component countering the majority of the braking force. This is something you can do on your own if your car isn't lowered. Check for leaking and/or cracking on the inboard bushing.

I haven't heard of any specific issues like this with Akebono pads before, they're generally very well liked. Tying this issue to the brake change itself does point to a potential install issue, but other than runout I am struggling to come up with a different reason.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0