F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Should I go mid pipe?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Should I go mid pipe?

Quick question. So correct me if I'm wrong but mid pipe contains secondary cats and resonator?

I currently have Dinan axel back and want it to be louder. Should I go with a mid pipe? How much louder can I expect it to be with a mid pipe?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
There does not appear to be any secondary cat on your car. There is a resonator (#2) and removing it will make it a bit louder likely but could induce some rasp or other unwanted sound.

Hopefully someone thats changed theres will chime in...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
There does not appear to be any secondary cat on your car. There is a resonator (#2) and removing it will make it a bit louder likely but could induce some rasp or other unwanted sound.

Hopefully someone thats changed theres will chime in...
Assuming it hasn't changed. What would you recommend to for making it louder?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Ive heard the AWE full cat back system is pretty loud. If you wanted to keep using your exiting axle back (instead of reselling) than you can just get the AWE mid pipe.

I dont see how you can go wrong going that route but I do wonder if just having a muffler shop cut out your existing resonator would put you in the exact same spot without spending more than $50.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 05:42 PM   #5
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Downpipe will not only give you more sound, but give you power gains as well. That's my recommendation. Then, if you think it's still not loud enough, go midpipe or res delete. But be forewarned, a lot of people have said downpipe plus full catback/res delete results in drone.
      10-19-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Downpipe will not only give you more sound, but give you power gains as well. That's my recommendation. Then, if you think it's still not loud enough, go midpipe or res delete. But be forewarned, a lot of people have said downpipe plus full catback/res delete results in drone.
I figured that's a lot of drone definitely. I think I'll try and stay catted as to reduce the annoyance of passing inspection. Do res deletes add more sound or just rasp?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:08 PM   #7
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Ive heard the AWE full cat back system is pretty loud. If you wanted to keep using your exiting axle back (instead of reselling) than you can just get the AWE mid pipe.

I dont see how you can go wrong going that route but I do wonder if just having a muffler shop cut out your existing resonator would put you in the exact same spot without spending more than $50.
I was wondering the Same thing why not just cut it out? Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 10:51 PM   #8
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Resonator only removes resonant frequencies (in relation to the cabin) from the exhaust note. It's non restrictive so it won't make it louder outside, but will make it seem so inside the car.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #9
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Ok so I just did the dinan midpipe on my car with an entire stock system otherwise. It’s a significant and noticeable difference. I will say that I wish it was just a bit more loud but I know if I do an exhaust too it would be too much for me. I don’t want to be a cop magnet...

I’ve heard the dinan a exhaust paired with the midpipe, it definitely will be a significant amount louder with the full system like that.
      10-19-2018, 10:59 PM   #10
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
Ok so I just did the dinan midpipe on my car with an entire stock system otherwise. It's a significant and noticeable difference. I will say that I wish it was just a bit more loud but I know if I do an exhaust too it would be too much for me. I don't want to be a cop magnet...

I've heard the dinan a exhaust paired with the midpipe, it definitely will be a significant amount louder with the full system like that.
Awesome! Thanks so if it's a significant difference I think it'll be worth it. I'll probably wait till winters over so I can enjoy it more with the windows down but thanks for your input. Did you install yourself? How involved was it?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 11:10 PM   #11
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Awesome! Thanks so if it's a significant difference I think it'll be worth it. I'll probably wait till winters over so I can enjoy it more with the windows down but thanks for your input. Did you install yourself? How involved was it?
Very simple process. Paid my local meineke to do it as I didn’t want to be bothered scraping my body on the floor underneath my car on jackstands. One clamp in the front, one cut by the muffler in the rear with saws all. Loosely clamp the front, then back, align for clearance and tighten her up. Get the pipe hot while it’s still on the lift and let it cool again, you may need to make a second adjustment for clearance.

As to the person who said it’s not louder outside, that’s bullshit. Cold start is much louder and I have an overall more throaty exhaust note along with more pronounced burbles. Again all with an otherwise stock factory exhaust and I have Zero drone on the hwy with this setup.
      10-19-2018, 11:13 PM   #12
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Very simple process. Paid my local meineke to do it as I didn’t want to be bothered scraping my body on the floor underneath my car on jackstands. One clamp in the front, one cut by the muffler in the rear with saws all. Loosely clamp the front, then back, align for clearance and tighten her up. Get the pipe hot while it’s still on the lift and let it cool again, you may need to make a second adjustment for clearance.

As to the person who said it’s not louder outside, that’s bullshit. Cold start is much louder and I have an overall more throaty exhaust note along with more pronounced burbles. Again all with an otherwise stock factory exhaust and I have Zero drone on the hwy with this setup.
Thanks for your reply. I'm assuming with the Dinan axle back it'll be quite a bit louder which is exciting!
Appreciate 0