F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > X3M Competition Discount...
Studio RSR

12-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #947
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

To be fair to TRL, this has nothing to do with him whether its a Berry car or not.

He has no control on how the dick in the drivers seat was driving.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
RustyBitz1573.50
      12-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #948
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 335d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
To be fair to TRL, this has nothing to do with him whether its a Berry car or not.

He has no control on how the dick in the drivers seat was driving.
On this occasion, it seems like the dick driving had no control either. But i'm pleased they both survived.
Appreciate 2
RustyBitz1573.50
dopper993528.00
      12-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #949
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

This guy aint going to have a great Christmas. Got a couple of operations lined up.
Attached Images

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #950
Busted
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

I quite like trhamza, his reviews used to be pretty honest and interesting. Then he, like a lot of the other YouTube reviewers started trying to do up old sheds and buying the same old cars so it all got a bit dull

Glad hes ok, maybe drive them yourself in the future!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 01:06 AM   #951
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Agreed. The 500bhp M-car suddenly acquired a mind of its own...or the driver failed to respect the car and conditions. Which is more likely? Especially in a test pilot situation.

(Or something unexpected happened, of course)
Its the false sense of security AWD gives you. I use to be scared of flooring the throttle in the 335i when the road conditions are like they are at the moment, but in our AWD SUV with more BHP its just too easy to do. Just smash the loud pedal and the car does the rest.

The only time you come to realise your travelling far too quickly is when you arrive at a blind corner and realise the stopping distances is much longer than anticipated due to the higher speed AWD cars lets you achieve with relative ease.

The more I drive our AWD SUV the more am convinced AWD js more dangerous on public roads than RWD.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 01:44 AM   #952
Mike200
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 4.0D / F31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Its the false sense of security AWD gives you. I use to be scared of flooring the throttle in the 335i when the road conditions are like they are at the moment, but in our AWD SUV with more BHP its just too easy to do. Just smash the loud pedal and the car does the rest.

The only time you come to realise your travelling far too quickly is when you arrive at a blind corner and realise the stopping distances is much longer than anticipated due to the higher speed AWD cars lets you achieve with relative ease.

The more I drive our AWD SUV the more am convinced AWD js more dangerous on public roads than RWD.
Its not the car that is more dangerous, it is the driver.

Last edited by Mike200; 12-12-2019 at 01:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      12-12-2019, 02:25 AM   #953
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

The only time you come to realise your travelling far too quickly is when you arrive at a blind corner and realise the stopping distances is much SHORTER than anticipated due to the higher speed AWD cars lets you achieve with relative ease.
I think you need to change your driving style. It seems you are trying to drive your 4wd vehicle as you did your RWD vehicle Totally different animals.

I find the the 4wd/AWD systems come in to their own when you are accelerating out of a corner, you can't do this in a powerful RWD vehicle without your bottom twitching. What i tend to do if i am blasting on country lanes that i may not have driven on before is put the sat nav screen onto MAP and i then keep glancing at it as i am blasting on. This gives me some idea of any potential sharp bends approaching and i can adjust my speed according but it also sets you up for a great exit. Try it sometime and you will cover the ground much quicker but more safely. But always have in the back of your mind, an obstacle could be just waitng around the next corner where you might have to change your pants... So always expect the unexpected....
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:31 AM   #954
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
All AWD does is give you additional traction in some situations and......that's it! However, IMO any danger that arises isn't a consequence of AWD, it's drivers who think the system also increases lateral cornering speeds and/or reduces braking distances when actually it does neither.

Having had my 335d for over 5 years and almost 80k miles I'd say the traction advantages are nice to have although I wouldn't say I've been bowled-over to the point I wouldn't have a RWD car again. However, to suggest AWD is somehow dangerous just isn't correct in my view and I think a driver who'd be dangerous in a AWD car would probably be dangerous in anything - more than likely the problem is with what's between their ears!
Appreciate 4
Wills28656.00
isleaiw18759.00
mikeoz2856.00
      12-12-2019, 04:14 AM   #955
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

As I am naturally risk averse I have always adopted a slower in, faster out strategy on roads I dont know - which is probably why I like awd...
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2019, 04:18 AM   #956
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Just drive to the conditions whatever wheels are driven and if you don't know the road then again drive appropriately.

It's not rocket science.
      12-12-2019, 04:27 AM   #957
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:

I think you need to look at how you drive the car myself.
      12-12-2019, 04:47 AM   #958
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

IMHO if you are approaching a sharp bend in a 2+ tonne SUV and think the AWD will save you then you need to look at your understanding of inertia and driving style.

Ye cannae beat the laws of physics capn.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17485.50
speedski547.00
      12-12-2019, 05:57 AM   #959
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
IMHO if you are approaching a sharp bend in a 2+ tonne SUV and think the AWD will save you then you need to look at your understanding of inertia and driving style.

Ye cannae beat the laws of physics capn.
My 2+ tonne SUV definitely reminds me about inertia. Fast in and tweak the line is definitely not a cornering style to be thinking about. Never been my style anyway though.

Something like a Cayenne is a different beast and does hide its inertia (too?) well. Easy to see how thoughtless driving could get you in an unrecoverable situation. All at the control of the driver either way, of course.

Blasting along unfamiliar country roads (mentioned above) is a high risk strategy in any vehicle, even with the sat nav acting as co-driver pace notes. (To the person that wrote that, I appreciate that I am quoting slightly out of context with the rest of your post).

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:58 AM   #960
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

UHP summer tyres, mega stiff suspension, over 500bhp... needs respect in the winter.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #961
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post

Blasting along unfamiliar country roads (mentioned above) is a high risk strategy in any vehicle, even with the sat nav acting as co-driver pace notes. (To the person that wrote that, I appreciate that I am quoting slightly out of context with the rest of your post).
Of course it is high risk. But we don't buy these powderful machines to follow everyone else on the road. It is the thrill of driving fast, but safely on such roads, but with the mindset of as i said above. Expect the unexpected! Driving experience is also a major factor here too, and knowing your cars capability. In the case of the above accident, did the driver run out of talent? Does anyone know the true facts? I believe there is a video of the accident going to be aired as soon as he gets out of hospital. I just hope it isn't incriminating.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #962
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quick 1000 mile update.

My car goes in for the running in service next Tuesday and I'm looking forward to some LC's and full bore launches! I've done about 500 miles in the last week so I've had plenty of time to enjoy the car.

Do I have any regrets moving from my 440i? No, not really. At first I missed the crazy cracks from the MPPSK, but now I'm used to a different type of noise. Is it quieter than an M car should be? Maybe, but I've now stuck the valves permanently open and I am really enjoying the noise, and to me it's almost a V8 rumble. The further you explore the rev range the better it sounds. I still hanker after a few more noises that the OPF's and 4 cats rob the car of.

The handling is superb for a car like this. It's so much better than the 440i and has that obvious difference that normal BMW's to M cars have. It feels connected with the road and the steering feel is really good. It's so flat through bends and roundabouts, but I've only really explored 8/10's so far. I feel the X3M hit the brief for BMW in that it's really just a higher riding M3 Touring.

When talking about handling, ride quality should be discussed and it's a contentious topic with the car. The car does not like temporary type road surfaces that are broken e.g. anti skid tarmac on country roads. It's not that it impacts handling, but the suspension booms making it quite loud. But 95% of the time it's just fine, yes it's a hard ride, but no different to any other Competition specced BMW's.

The engine also causes some contention. BMW have intentionally made the S58 a peaky engine with the fun happening near the top of the rev range, especially between 5k and 7.2k rpm. This doesn't bother me, but occasionally it is irritating if you stamp on the throttle and have to wait slightly for the engine to get to 2500rpm. Be progressive with the accelerator and this is much less of an issue. Once it's on song it's a weapon, and I really prefer to drive the car in manual when having fun. Normal driving the car is great in Efficient pootling around between 1k-2.5k rpm. Quick prod of the M1 button and it changes into Sport+ (engine) and to Manual 3 (quickest gearbox mode) and it's ready for action e.g. lights, overtake, roundabout etc.

Had a play out of some lights and drilled it with her least expecting.... I just wished I had filmed her expression. She compared it to a fairground ride. It was insane and a little violent . - my 7 year old bloody loved it.

My final point on the engine, which is maybe not too fair as it's more the overall package is the mpg. As a previous C63 owner I understand rubbish mpg, but this is not much different. Currently stat at 21 mpg average and the best I've achieved on a slow cruise control drive to Manchester was 28. If it goes over 30 I'll be shocked. Local short journeys are more like 14-17.

One thing I really love about the X3M is the interior. I've never sat in an X3 before so I can't really comment on the non M's but it's a fantastic place to sit. The seats are epic, hold you firmly in place, and similar to my 440i have great lumbar support. But the best thing about the seats is the active seat ventilation. On a long journey it's great to switch them on when you've been in the car for a while and start to feel a little clammy. It has the added benefit of pumping new car smell through the cabin too!

There's probably a stack more I could add, but I really need to do some work! Overall I am really happy and constantly thinking for a reason to go for a drive.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 8
rokut398.00
JustChris17485.50
mikeoz2856.00
RustyBitz1573.50
kzg19691299.00
      12-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #963
rokut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cosmic EP3 Type R

Sounds legit! Jealous
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #964
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
Quick 1000 mile update.

My car goes in for the running in service next Tuesday and I'm looking forward to some LC's and full bore launches! I've done about 500 miles in the last week so I've had plenty of time to enjoy the car.

Do I have any regrets moving from my 440i? No, not really. At first I missed the crazy cracks from the MPPSK, but now I'm used to a different type of noise. Is it quieter than an M car should be? Maybe, but I've now stuck the valves permanently open and I am really enjoying the noise, and to me it's almost a V8 rumble. The further you explore the rev range the better it sounds. I still hanker after a few more noises that the OPF's and 4 cats rob the car of.

The handling is superb for a car like this. It's so much better than the 440i and has that obvious difference that normal BMW's to M cars have. It feels connected with the road and the steering feel is really good. It's so flat through bends and roundabouts, but I've only really explored 8/10's so far. I feel the X3M hit the brief for BMW in that it's really just a higher riding M3 Touring.

When talking about handling, ride quality should be discussed and it's a contentious topic with the car. The car does not like temporary type road surfaces that are broken e.g. anti skid tarmac on country roads. It's not that it impacts handling, but the suspension booms making it quite loud. But 95% of the time it's just fine, yes it's a hard ride, but no different to any other Competition specced BMW's.

The engine also causes some contention. BMW have intentionally made the S58 a peaky engine with the fun happening near the top of the rev range, especially between 5k and 7.2k rpm. This doesn't bother me, but occasionally it is irritating if you stamp on the throttle and have to wait slightly for the engine to get to 2500rpm. Be progressive with the accelerator and this is much less of an issue. Once it's on song it's a weapon, and I really prefer to drive the car in manual when having fun. Normal driving the car is great in Efficient pootling around between 1k-2.5k rpm. Quick prod of the M1 button and it changes into Sport+ (engine) and to Manual 3 (quickest gearbox mode) and it's ready for action e.g. lights, overtake, roundabout etc.

Had a play out of some lights and drilled it with her least expecting.... I just wished I had filmed her expression. She compared it to a fairground ride. It was insane and a little violent . - my 7 year old bloody loved it.

My final point on the engine, which is maybe not too fair as it's more the overall package is the mpg. As a previous C63 owner I understand rubbish mpg, but this is not much different. Currently stat at 21 mpg average and the best I've achieved on a slow cruise control drive to Manchester was 28. If it goes over 30 I'll be shocked. Local short journeys are more like 14-17.

One thing I really love about the X3M is the interior. I've never sat in an X3 before so I can't really comment on the non M's but it's a fantastic place to sit. The seats are epic, hold you firmly in place, and similar to my 440i have great lumbar support. But the best thing about the seats is the active seat ventilation. On a long journey it's great to switch them on when you've been in the car for a while and start to feel a little clammy. It has the added benefit of pumping new car smell through the cabin too!

There's probably a stack more I could add, but I really need to do some work! Overall I am really happy and constantly thinking for a reason to go for a drive.
Nice review thank you. You managed to do 1k quick enough? lol
Have to agree with the interior the new X3 is a nice place to sit..

Never mind your 7yr sounds like it gives you a 7yr grin from ear to ear..
Appreciate 2
RustyBitz1573.50
moff1362.50
      12-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #965
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike200 View Post
Its not the car that is more dangerous, it is the driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d Touring Xdrive View Post
I think you need to change your driving style. It seems you are trying to drive your 4wd vehicle as you did your RWD vehicle Totally different animals.

I find the the 4wd/AWD systems come in to their own when you are accelerating out of a corner, you can't do this in a powerful RWD vehicle without your bottom twitching. What i tend to do if i am blasting on country lanes that i may not have driven on before is put the sat nav screen onto MAP and i then keep glancing at it as i am blasting on. This gives me some idea of any potential sharp bends approaching and i can adjust my speed according but it also sets you up for a great exit. Try it sometime and you will cover the ground much quicker but more safely. But always have in the back of your mind, an obstacle could be just waitng around the next corner where you might have to change your pants... So always expect the unexpected....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
All AWD does is give you additional traction in some situations and......that's it! However, IMO any danger that arises isn't a consequence of AWD, it's drivers who think the system also increases lateral cornering speeds and/or reduces braking distances when actually it does neither.

Having had my 335d for over 5 years and almost 80k miles I'd say the traction advantages are nice to have although I wouldn't say I've been bowled-over to the point I wouldn't have a RWD car again. However, to suggest AWD is somehow dangerous just isn't correct in my view and I think a driver who'd be dangerous in a AWD car would probably be dangerous in anything - more than likely the problem is with what's between their ears!
What he’s failed to mention is that his AWD is a Tesla Model X!! Maybe it’s the complete disconnectedness of an electric vehicle, and the 2.5t of weight that makes his AWD dangerous!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:26 AM   #966
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
What he’s failed to mention is that his AWD is a Tesla Model X!! Maybe it’s the complete disconnectedness of an electric vehicle, and the 2.5t of weight that makes his AWD dangerous!
As opposed to a 3 series on stilts powered by a tractor engine .

My only point is if you have never driven a high power RWD car and just straight into an AWD machine you simply will not developed the same amount of respect for power and road conditions.

Like it or not most accidents happen before people drive too quickly for the road conditions, like the one posted on here. AWD cars lets you reach higher speeds in poor conditions more quickly, that by definition is not a safer car. Yes down to the driver, but an inexperienced driver will probably have a bigger accident in an AWD car than RWD car.

Last edited by gangzoom; 12-13-2019 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:58 AM   #967
Craig 1527
Craig
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: x3m comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
Quick 1000 mile update.

Moff nice update and RIS next week look forward to hearing your thoughts after that.
I'm still only on 500 miles so a ways to go yet I need to get out more but must say I'm really enjoying the car don't think about the ride being harsh now and it impresses how it handles for a suv it corners so well average MPG is around 19 but only done short journeys for the last week.
Also received a nice BMW steel flask/mug from dealer in post yesterday.
Let us know your thoughts after the RIS enjoy
f31 335i mineral grey/coral gone but will be missed.
gone 2014 range rover sport dynamic.
Appreciate 1
moff1362.50
      12-13-2019, 06:24 AM   #968
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Orangey red (sorry!) X4M on Baldwin Street in Bristol just now. One of our members? Looked great anyway.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0