F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Option 430 - Exterior Mirrors - folding with anti-dazzle
Extreme Powerhouse

12-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

Option 430 - Exterior Mirrors - folding with anti-dazzle

Reading a thread about this the other day got me thinking, when I selected this option on my build the following description was presented to me.

When it is dark the automatic dimming function in the interior and exterior mirrors helps prevent the driver from being dazzled by the other cars' headlights. Additional functions: When the reverse gear is engaged, the automatic parking function tilts the passenger-side exterior mirror downwards, allowing the driver to see the kerb for precise manoeuvring. Once the BMW has been parked, the exterior mirrors can be electrically folded inwards, so that they take up less space and are less likely to be damaged.

Benefits at a glance:
driver is not dazzled by the vehicles following behind
automatic dipping parking function makes it easier to back into a parking space
avoid damage with the electric fold-in function

Now forgive my ignorance but if this refers to mirrors should both my mirrors not be chromatic? at the moment only the driver mirror is and its doing my head in, i have checked the glass and there is clearly a difference in the type of mirror.

I'm sure they have weaselly words to cover change of spec but that's a pretty major discrepancy tbh and I'm wondering if I have any recourse on it - I don't fancy paying out of my own cash for something that i believe should have been included.

sheesh these first world problems are too much.

cheers

Alex
      12-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
Reading a thread about this the other day got me thinking, when I selected this option on my build the following description was presented to me.

When it is dark the automatic dimming function in the interior and exterior mirrors helps prevent the driver from being dazzled by the other cars' headlights. Additional functions: When the reverse gear is engaged, the automatic parking function tilts the passenger-side exterior mirror downwards, allowing the driver to see the kerb for precise manoeuvring. Once the BMW has been parked, the exterior mirrors can be electrically folded inwards, so that they take up less space and are less likely to be damaged.

Benefits at a glance:

Now forgive my ignorance but if this refers to mirrors should both my mirrors not be chromatic? at the moment only the driver mirror is and its doing my head in, i have checked the glass and there is clearly a difference in the type of mirror.

I'm sure they have weaselly words to cover change of spec but that's a pretty major discrepancy tbh and I'm wondering if I have any recourse on it - I don't fancy paying out of my own cash for something that i believe should have been included.

cheers

Alex
I had the same when I took delivery of my car this time last year. My previous F30 was a pre-lci and had both mirrors that dimmed. My new car is the same as yours and only has the drivers side that dims.
I spoke to my dealer as I thought the mirror wasn't working. They were surprised to find it wasn't supposed to anymore. They even looked at fitting the 'correct' glass but apparently the wiring isn't there now.

Pissed off, and on the advice of a lawyer acquaintance of mine I made a complaint to BMW. They fobbed me off basically. Undeterred I went to the ombudsman as it appeared to me a clear case of misrepresentation. They'd changed the functionality of the option but not the description of it. Cutting to the chase the ombudsman contacted BMW and then told me that its a 'product enhancement' apparently, if I think its been mis-sold then to contact the dealer as my contract is with them not BMW. So I replied to him to say that according to your ruling, BMW can advertise what they like as they don't actually sell the product, and that I was supposed to go through the functionality in great detail with the dealer when ordering the car. I told that I thought that was ridiculous, and asked him to explain to me how anyone was supposed to determine that there was a difference between the two mirrors. He couldn't. Turns out that the ombudsman is funded by its members - the manufacturers. So they ain't biting the hand that feeds it.
By all means go after them. They've intentionally cut corners without making the change clear. Poor from BMW. Worse from the useless ombudsman.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 2
      12-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
I had the same when I took delivery of my car this time last year. My previous F30 was a pre-lci and had both mirrors that dimmed. My new car is the same as yours and only has the drivers side that dims.
I spoke to my dealer as I thought the mirror wasn't working. They were surprised to find it wasn't supposed to anymore. They even looked at fitting the 'correct' glass but apparently the wiring isn't there now.

Pissed off, and on the advice of a lawyer acquaintance of mine I made a complaint to BMW. They fobbed me off basically. Undeterred I went to the ombudsman as it appeared to me a clear case of misrepresentation. They'd changed the functionality of the option but not the description of it. Cutting to the chase the ombudsman contacted BMW and then told me that its a 'product enhancement' apparently, if I think its been mis-sold then to contact the dealer as my contract is with them not BMW. So I replied to him to say that according to your ruling, BMW can advertise what they like as they don't actually sell the product, and that I was supposed to go through the functionality in great detail with the dealer when ordering the car. I told that I thought that was ridiculous, and asked him to explain to me how anyone was supposed to determine that there was a difference between the two mirrors. He couldn't. Turns out that the ombudsman is funded by its members - the manufacturers. So they ain't biting the hand that feeds it.
By all means go after them. They've intentionally cut corners without making the change clear. Poor from BMW. Worse from the useless ombudsman.
Really helpful, thank you - - I just had the genius confirm that the spec written is correct and it should dim - Ill call the dealer tomorrow.
      12-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #4
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Quote:
Really helpful, thank you - - I just had the genius confirm that the spec written is correct and it should dim - Ill call the dealer tomorrow.
Let us know how you get on. Perhaps the 'product enhancement' has been reversed and its genuinely not working however I think you'll find its the same as my car. Did you keep the transcript from the genius?

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:

Benefits at a glance:

cheers

Alex
When did you order your car...???

This change in the dipping of the passenger mirror was the subject of another couple of threads 11/12 months ago and the change seems to have come in with the enhancements summer 2016...

The name and description of this particular option changed for the 2017 model year enhancements (I originally said pre-LCI, but I now think is was when the 2017 model year enhancements came in) and was (when I last checked and posted about it in January '17):

"Exterior Mirrors - folding with anti-dazzle"

"When it is dark the automatic anti-dazzle function in the interior and exterior mirrors helps to prevent that the driver is being dazzled by the other cars' headlights. "

Since this change, only the internal and driver's side mirrors are photo-chromatic... The Passenger one is not...

The description makes no mention of auto dimming of any mirror...

Quite how the passenger side mirror works in anti-dazzle, I don't know, but I do not notice any particular annoyance when the other mirrors dim...

As somebody else stated, this is also the same now of some other manufacturers cars (it is also spreading across other BMW models and ranges) and the upshot of the earlier thread was that, for some reason, this change was made to reflect something other than cost-cutting.. Perhaps changes in legislation..? Or for compatibility between markets with differing legislation..?
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
Let us know how you get on. Perhaps the 'product enhancement' has been reversed and its genuinely not working however I think you'll find its the same as my car. Did you keep the transcript from the genius?
Yes - Kept the transcript - I will update after I have had short shrift from my dealer (who hates me)

Cheers
      12-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post

This change in the dipping of the passenger mirror was the subject of another couple of threads 11/12 months ago and the change seems to have come in with the enhancements summer 2016...

The name and description of this particular option changed for the 2017 model year enhancements (I originally said pre-LCI, but I now think is was when the 2017 model year enhancements came in) and was (when I last checked and posted about it in January '17):

"When it is dark the automatic anti-dazzle function in the interior and exterior mirrors helps to prevent that the driver is being dazzled by the other cars' headlights. "

Since this change, only the internal and driver's side mirrors are photo-chromatic... The Passenger one is not...

Quite how the passenger side mirror works in anti-dazzle, I don't know, but I do not notice any particular annoyance when the other mirrors dim...

As somebody else stated, this is also the same now of some other manufacturers cars (it is also spreading across other BMW models and ranges) and the upshot of the earlier thread was that, for some reason, this change was made to reflect something other than cost-cutting.. Perhaps changes in legislation..? Or for compatibility between markets with differing legislation..?
My car was ordered in June or July this year, the description above in my original post is the one from the current build options on the configurator,

The anti dazzle is the auto dim and again even your description above sais Mirrors, which is clearly not the case -

Ill give them a shout tomorrow, I'm not going to loose sleep over it, i just want it if it can work, even if I have to pay to retrofit.

Cheers
      12-05-2017, 01:56 AM   #8
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I'll be interested to see what comes of this. Our 2013 335d dims on both driver and passenger side whereas the 2016 330e only dims on the driver side.

At first I assumed that it was just penny pinching by BMW, but maybe there is more to it that that. Even if it isn't I'm sure they didn't drop the price for it.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 03:06 AM   #9
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
BBC watchdog would love this kind of thing....

Not that it will achieve anything, but might be nice to shine the light on the seemingly very bent arrangement between an allegedly independent ombudsman and the manufacturers.
      12-05-2017, 03:15 AM   #10
Lieutenant
Rep

I have sent an email over to the salesman who supplied the car via Coopers in Colchester, I have no beef with them to be fair as they are just the supplier and were very good and patient with me, however the email outlines the issue and the fact I believe it is mis-rep from BMW noting that essentially I would like the passenger mirror retrofitted (if possible) FOC.

That's the first poke at this issue, I'm pretty sure of the response I will get but then its on to customer services at BMW.

thanks for the support, I will update in due course.

Regards
      12-05-2017, 03:39 AM   #11
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

The wiring is present on the newer cars.

My car is a 2016 build which only had the drivers side mirror dimming. As already mentioned, there is a visual difference between the mirror glass - the passenger side is missing the thin line which runs around the glass - indicating its not electrochromatic.

I bought a set of used OEM F80 M3 mirrors to retrofit to my F31 & both mirror glasses were electrochromatic, result!

Fitted the mirrors, did no extra coding or wiring and they worked straight away!!

So it would fit that all you guys need is a passenger side electrochromatic glass to stick in!
Appreciate 1
GEP77409.00
      12-05-2017, 03:48 AM   #12
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
The wiring is present on the newer cars.

My car is a 2016 build which only had the drivers side mirror dimming. As already mentioned, there is a visual difference between the mirror glass - the passenger side is missing the thin line which runs around the glass - indicating its not electrochromatic.

I bought a set of used OEM F80 M3 mirrors to retrofit to my F31 & both mirror glasses were electrochromatic, result!

Fitted the mirrors, did no extra coding or wiring and they worked straight away!!

So it would fit that all you guys need is a passenger side electrochromatic glass to stick in!

This is what I hope the dealership will realise and just do it for me - failing that you are quite right it should be a straight swap.

its just £60 on ebay and I feel I have already paid for it.
      12-05-2017, 04:16 AM   #13
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335Xd, E81 130i

My sept 16 66 is like this too.

Since BMW packaged the mirrors on almost all LCI with other options, maybe they just found a way to save some £££ by only doing drivers glass?

I'd be generally happy but I do find it crazy the top 340i and 335d need so many boxes ticking still, or retrofits later.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 04:28 AM   #14
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whippy View Post
My sept 16 66 is like this too.

Since BMW packaged the mirrors on almost all LCI with other options, maybe they just found a way to save some £££ by only doing drivers glass?

I'd be generally happy but I do find it crazy the top 340i and 335d need so many boxes ticking still, or retrofits later.
I think we can all accept to a degree changes made to a spec, its when they don't change the description and mis rep it that is what I am going after.
      12-05-2017, 05:48 AM   #15
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My car was ordered in June or July this year, the description above in my original post is the one from the current build options on the configurator,

The anti dazzle is the auto dim and again even your description above sais Mirrors, which is clearly not the case -

Ill give them a shout tomorrow, I'm not going to loose sleep over it, i just want it if it can work, even if I have to pay to retrofit.

Cheers
The description of the option now is, as you have noted, different to how it was earlier in the year. It does now (as you say) seem to imply that both external mirrors dim.

The description I posted was current when I originally discussed the issue in the older posts. To me, that description (that I quoted) was loose in that it did not specify what the anti-dazzle measures/features actually were. As many if us found out, the mirrors were dimming on internal and driver's side, but not on passenger side. Was there anything else..? Something about the passenger mirror..? A coating or something.? Without knowing the precise measures, impossible to say.

Thing is, though, it was difficult to suggest that what we got was not in line with the description.

I have noticed this is quite common in many cars. The Mercedes, for instance. That does not dim on passenger side. Is this something to do with legislation/safety.???

Why change the description again..?

Perhaps, with the BMW, the current spec has reverted to dimming on all mirrors..?

I guess the key for you is what was the option name/description at the order date..??
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2017, 06:01 AM   #16
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

As an aside, I always reckoned that the tinted rear privacy glass had a much bigger -ve impact on "anti dazzle" as the passenger mirror not dimming...

What I always felt happened in my last car (with privacy glass) was that the dark glass causes the light sensor to see the dazzle somewhat less brightly that it is.. no problem for interior mirror, of course, as it looks through the glass... but the drivers and passenger mirrors (pre changes to dazzle) never seemed to dim enough....

This does mot seem to happen on my current car (I did not order the privacy glass) nor on my first (2012) F30....
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2017, 07:14 AM   #17
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As an aside, I always reckoned that the tinted rear privacy glass had a much bigger -ve impact on "anti dazzle" as the passenger mirror not dimming...

What I always felt happened in my last car (with privacy glass) was that the dark glass causes the light sensor to see the dazzle somewhat less brightly that it is.. no problem for interior mirror, of course, as it looks through the glass... but the drivers and passenger mirrors (pre changes to dazzle) never seemed to dim enough....

This does mot seem to happen on my current car (I did not order the privacy glass) nor on my first (2012) F30....
I believe this now works with the internal mirror triggering the dimming of the side mirrors, the drivers one works well hence the passenger one has become so noticeable.
      12-05-2017, 07:23 AM   #18
Lieutenant
Rep

Right bit of an update

Emailed the supplying dealer contact this am - he forwarded it onto his manager who came back with the below

My manager has looked in to this and confirmed that as of week 27 2016 which was the week beginning 04 July 2016 BMW changed this option to only include the drivers door mirror and not the passenger side.

I’ve copied a page from an internal document that was issued.

I called back to say this was not acceptable as how was I supposed to know that when placing the order? but was given short shrift and sent on my way.

I called BMW CS who were very polite and understood where I was coming from, I have forwarded them all of the info and they have said it will be up to coopers to offer a goodwill replacement glass, so we know how that will end.

Ill update more when i have heard back again.

Regards
      12-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #19
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

My 440i LCI has just the dimming on the drivers side and not on the passenger side.

Now I've done a lot of research on how to retrofit and can give the following update:

The wing mirror has 6 major functions attached to it:

Mirror adjustment - fitted to all cars.
Heated Mirror - fitted to all cars.
Dimming - has to have folding as well - option 430
Folding - only on some now - option 430
Surround view camera
Blind Spot Indication

Now to make matter worse is that the electronics within the mirror assembly changes depending on what options were taken originally.

This unfortunately makes things a bit of a minefield as there are quite a few option combinations.

Cars assembled just after the build change had the old electric arrangement - the difference being the glass fitted. In these cases it is as simple as removing the glass and plugging in the new glass to get dimming.

If you're in this case you'll have a white rectangular connector not plugged in behind the mirror glass in addition to the two spade connectors for the mirror heating.

DO NOT buy the glass directly from BMW as it is insanely expensive. There are usually plenty of OEM parts / breakers parts on ebay, not all are listed by part number - if not they are usually cheaper.

I’m about to modify my own mirror and intend to document the process. I’ll keep you all abreast of how I get on. All being well I should be doing the work this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #20
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
Quote:
Right bit of an update

Emailed the supplying dealer contact this am - he forwarded it onto his manager who came back with the below

My manager has looked in to this and confirmed that as of week 27 2016 which was the week beginning 04 July 2016 BMW changed this option to only include the drivers door mirror and not the passenger side.

I’ve copied a page from an internal document that was issued.

I called back to say this was not acceptable as how was I supposed to know that when placing the order? but was given short shrift and sent on my way.

I called BMW CS who were very polite and understood where I was coming from, I have forwarded them all of the info and they have said it will be up to coopers to offer a goodwill replacement glass, so we know how that will end.

Ill update more when i have heard back again.

Regards
Must have been before week 27. Mine is April 2016 and the passenger mirror doesn't dim, only noticed a few weeks ago. Was going to add it to the query list at it's next service
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP77 View Post
My 440i LCI has just the dimming on the drivers side and not on the passenger side.

Now I've done a lot of research on how to retrofit and can give the following update:

The wing mirror has 6 major functions attached to it:

Mirror adjustment - fitted to all cars.
Heated Mirror - fitted to all cars.
Dimming - has to have folding as well - option 430
Folding - only on some now - option 430
Surround view camera
Blind Spot Indication

Now to make matter worse is that the electronics within the mirror assembly changes depending on what options were taken originally.

This unfortunately makes things a bit of a minefield as there are quite a few option combinations.

Cars assembled just after the build change had the old electric arrangement - the difference being the glass fitted. In these cases it is as simple as removing the glass and plugging in the new glass to get dimming.

If you're in this case you'll have a white rectangular connector not plugged in behind the mirror glass in addition to the two spade connectors for the mirror heating.

DO NOT buy the glass directly from BMW as it is insanely expensive. There are usually plenty of OEM parts / breakers parts on ebay, not all are listed by part number - if not they are usually cheaper.

I’m about to modify my own mirror and intend to document the process. I’ll keep you all abreast of how I get on. All being well I should be doing the work this weekend.
this is very helpful thank you,

I had a call from the dealer to say they have refered this to Germany to see what options there are to retrofit.

this leads nicley onto my comment below.
      12-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #22
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I believe this now works with the internal mirror triggering the dimming of the side mirrors, the drivers one works well hence the passenger one has become so noticeable.
It always worked with the internal
Mirror dictating the dimming, as far as I am aware.. the sensor is in the rear view mirror housing...

What I found is that it dimmed the internal mirror to the light intensity it saw through the darkened glass, and that looked ok through the main mirror, because you were looking out back through the tinted rear glass..

but the side mirror, which was dimmed the same amount, was not dimmed enough because you looked straight back out to the bright light with no reduction from the tinted glass...

As I say, the dimming never worked as well on my F30 330d (that did have the privacy glass) as it does on my present car (340i) or my first F30, a 320d (both without privacy glass).

TBH, I do not find the absence of dimming on the passenger mirror to be all that distracting in practice... the mismatch in dimming caused by the privacy glass was far more noticeable to me...
Appreciate 0