F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Dont Shop with AVIN: no support
Studio RSR

12-28-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 V8 2013

Dont Shop with AVIN: no support

Having worked with many on this sight, I have to report back on my purchase experience with AVIN.
Having once been a fan of AVIN & purchasing their product, I can whole heartedly recommend you dont use them. I experienced unacceptable audio flaws in their product, and they have gone quiet on me for 30 days, not responding to my many email & phone requests for return & refund, even though that is their policy.
Seems very short sighted & a real lack of customer service. Im not trying to resolve this through PayPal & will update on how that goes.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4488.00
      12-28-2018, 09:08 PM   #2
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6sp

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog99 View Post
Having worked with many on this sight, I have to report back on my purchase experience with AVIN.
Having once been a fan of AVIN & purchasing their product, I can whole heartedly recommend you dont use them. I experienced unacceptable audio flaws in their product, and they have gone quiet on me for 30 days, not responding to my many email & phone requests for return & refund, even though that is their policy.
Seems very short sighted & a real lack of customer service. Im not trying to resolve this through PayPal & will update on how that goes.
I can back this while saying yes the product works in MY application, the customer service is terrible. To get my product up and running again when I had issues it took a span of 6 months
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep

UPDATE: Got my RMA number last night.

Well after 3 weeks of not having a response, I recieved my RMA number last night & am processing my return. So assuming that all goes well Ill update this thread accordingly. I wish I didnt have to go to the forums for help with that, or maybe it was a cooincidence, but I will keep everyone posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
So, nothing has changed with Avin.

As of Tuesday, same shit...different year.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #5
adrien78
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i

Pay with paypal only. I just opened a case with paypal because no answer from their support. You can be sure they will answer within the next 24h !
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 09:07 PM   #6
markdmor
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i E60

AVIN... no support

Same thing here... I bought their android v7.1 screen, Apple CarPlay adapter back-up camera, dash cam, and tire sensors. There are quite a few problems and bugs. I have not been able to get a hold of them for weeks.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #7
BLVCKF30
Rep
Drives: BLVCK F30

Thanks for sharing I have been on the verge of ordering the 10.25 7.1 screen from AVIN. But I value customer service a lot and these reviews definitely steered me away. Does anyone recommend any other reseller with better service? I don't mind paying more for better service.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep

UPDATE: I did get a FULL refund from Avin. Now I had to open a case in paypal to get them to reply to me, but I did get it. Make your conclusions.

What I will say is that I ultimately bougth the Unichip Carplay box. If you want Carplay in a BMW, look into that. Its great, with great audio and Im very picky. PM me for more details if needed, everything is available here in the forum but Im happy to tell you my experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 10:31 PM   #9
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Quote:
UPDATE: I did get a FULL refund from Avin. Now I had to open a case in paypal to get them to reply to me, but I did get it. Make your conclusions.

What I will say is that I ultimately bougth the Unichip Carplay box. If you want Carplay in a BMW, look into that. Its great, with great audio and Im very picky. PM me for more details if needed, everything is available here in the forum but Im happy to tell you my experience.
And unichip has been great for me from a service standpoint. Difficult with the language barrier a bit, but overall very communicative. Responds several times each day when I was setting everything up. WAY BETTER than bimmer-tech.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:21 PM   #10
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonchicken View Post
And unichip has been great for me from a service standpoint. Difficult with the language barrier a bit, but overall very communicative. Responds several times each day when I was setting everything up. WAY BETTER than bimmer-tech.
People need to know about the unichip solution.

Its $400ish & WAY better IMO than the $2500 full swap to a new NB system, or the cheap ass $500 AVIN type solution that does not deliver on its great promise.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #11
NVETHIS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M Comp

Garage List
I would have to second this. I in no way want to bash a company but good lord this has to be one of my more regrettable purchases. My unit never worked fully as it was intended. The only thing it is capable of doing extremely well was replacing my 8.8" screen to a 10.25" to display my CIC, and that it does without issue. I never use the android side as it is garbage and ultimately always ends with NO SIGNAL. I didn't donnect the audio cable to the AUX port because it wasn't mentioned as necessary, so I do not have auything other than navigation audio. Android is dirt slow, close to unusable. Constantly having to email requesting software updates. It's just been a bad experience. My product is about 1.5 years old, so I'm hoping that whoever is buying their units, they have replaced with better hardware and a more stable system. If anyone wants my unit it's in the for sale section

-NVE
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #12
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVETHIS View Post
I would have to second this. I in no way want to bash a company but good lord this has to be one of my more regrettable purchases. My unit never worked fully as it was intended. The only thing it is capable of doing extremely well was replacing my 8.8" screen to a 10.25" to display my CIC, and that it does without issue. I never use the android side as it is garbage and ultimately always ends with NO SIGNAL. I didn't donnect the audio cable to the AUX port because it wasn't mentioned as necessary, so I do not have auything other than navigation audio. Android is dirt slow, close to unusable. Constantly having to email requesting software updates. It's just been a bad experience. My product is about 1.5 years old, so I'm hoping that whoever is buying their units, they have replaced with better hardware and a more stable system. If anyone wants my unit it's in the for sale section

-NVE
The Magic question would be: Could I get the Unichip solution to plug inline with the AVIN screen upgrade. ie: Use AVIN ONLY as a screen upgrade like you said. It is big & clean & nice looking. And use Unichip for the actual carplay experience. THAT would be the MAGIC!

But unless someone else does it Ill never know cause Im done with AVIN.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:51 PM   #13
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

I might have been the anomaly here. I jumped on the bandwagon as soon as it came out. The first gen they sent kept overheating and had audio issues where only one channel came through. I wrote back and forth with them for couple of days and finally they sent out a second generation (with a deposit ahead of time), for me to send back the first gen. Once they got it, it was a gentle nudge through email to remind them they have it at their California PO Box and they issued a refund. Haven't had any issues (knocks on wood) with the unit, but honestly all I use it for is CarPlay. I rooted the unit and stripped it down to the bare essentials and it autolaunches the CarPlay application.

I would agree with you though, it seems like a common thing with poor support through various members here. Next time, I wouldn't be an early adopter and wait for companies that have a tiny bit of reputation offer products such as this. For example, Xtrons just started carrying their branded version of the 7.1 unit: http://xtrons.com/10-25-android-mult...eries-nbt.html
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #14
Skeester
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i 6 mt

I just purchased one and it gets delivered tomorrow. I wish I would have seen this thread earlier.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:56 PM   #15
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeester View Post
I just purchased one and it gets delivered tomorrow. I wish I would have seen this thread earlier.
THIS was my thoughts & why I came back to start this thread.
This community has been so good to me over the years, so Im happy to spread the good word when I have a legit good experience.
Appreciate 0