F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Champ2 to NBT???
Extreme Powerhouse

01-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #1
MLHH1234
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3 '14 2.0D

Champ2 to NBT???

Hello,

I have trawled through the various forums regarding NBT retrofits but I can't find anyone with a similar set up to mine.
I have a Champ2 head unit with a combox in the back with active telematics service. Am I right in saying that there is no way to retain my ConnectedDrive Services with a retrofitted NBT HU as they technically have never existed in the same vehicle together so there is no way of interfacing them?
Is it not possible to load the new NBT unit with my BMW credentials from the CMB?, surely it is not just as simple as swapping a sim card???
Thanks for any input or advice on offer.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 07:25 AM   #2
gizmo1908
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevc4949 View Post
Hello,

I have trawled through the various forums regarding NBT retrofits but I can't find anyone with a similar set up to mine.
I have a Champ2 head unit with a combox in the back with active telematics service. Am I right in saying that there is no way to retain my ConnectedDrive Services with a retrofitted NBT HU as they technically have never existed in the same vehicle together so there is no way of interfacing them?
Is it not possible to load the new NBT unit with my BMW credentials from the CMB?, surely it is not just as simple as swapping a sim card???
nbt evo is not compatible with combox. you can buy a nbt evo with atm that has connected drive activated. keep the VIN of the donor and add a emulator.

code everything and you will keep connected drive. but it wont know its your car. it will keep seeing the donor vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 07:42 AM   #3
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6sp

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hello,

No not as simple as that lol the sim card I believe is soldered and the vin of the head-unit and com-box are going to need to match for connected drive to work
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
gizmo1908
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightf30 View Post
No not as simple as that lol the sim card I believe is soldered and the vin of the head-unit and com-box are going to need to match for connected drive to work
the nbt evo head unit wont work with a combox of a champ2, not compatible. you will need a atm. they come in 2 different models. 1 goes in the trunk like the older tcb and the other one goes under the antenne on the roof.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #5
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6sp

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo1908 View Post
Quote:
the nbt evo head unit wont work with a combox of a champ2, not compatible. you will need a atm. they come in 2 different models. 1 goes in the trunk like the older tcb and the other one goes under the antenne on the roof.
Yea I just didn't know if he was getting NBT or NBT EVO , regardless though I think we can all agree that what OP wants to work will not work
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
gizmo1908
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo1908 View Post
Quote:
Yea I just didn't know if he was getting NBT or NBT EVO , regardless though I think we can all agree that what OP wants to work will not work
No it wont work. Even with NBT.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
MLHH1234
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3 '14 2.0D

Thanks for the input guys.... oh well, that's disappointing but so be it.
What would be the best HU upgrade available to me that would be compatible with the existing combox hardware? At the moment i have 606 Business Nav with crappy 6" screen, and would like a larger split screen with a more modern interface.
Is the HU i'm looking for called CIC High?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 06:54 AM   #8
gizmo1908
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys.... oh well, that's disappointing but so be it.
What would be the best HU upgrade available to me that would be compatible with the existing combox hardware? At the moment i have 606 Business Nav with crappy 6" screen, and would like a larger split screen with a more modern interface.
Is the HU i'm looking for called CIC High?
dont know if the HU_ENTRYNAV is compatible with your combox.

you can go the NBT route. but you will have to find one with the tcb with activated bmw services. after your retrofit keep the donor vin and use emulator.
Appreciate 0