F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPPSK - splitting tune and exhaust?
GetBMWParts

02-08-2019, 09:08 PM   #1
JRocker3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

MPPSK - splitting tune and exhaust?

I currently have a 340i M Sport (Jrocker3's Mineral Grey 340i https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1434836) with an AWE exhaust and I will soon have an Eventuri Intake...

I'd love to get the MPPSK tune, but I don't want the exhaust since I have AWE's system. Is there anyone out there looking for just an exhaust, no tune? Wondering if anyone would want to split the exhaust and tune?
      02-08-2019, 09:54 PM   #2
RichieDirts
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRocker3 View Post
I currently have a 340i M Sport (Jrocker3's Mineral Grey 340i https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1434836) with an AWE exhaust and I will soon have an Eventuri Intake...

I'd love to get the MPPSK tune, but I don't want the exhaust since I have AWE's system. Is there anyone out there looking for just an exhaust, no tune? Wondering if anyone would want to split the exhaust and tune?
Hey I'm in NJ and looking just for the exhaust lol
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #3
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4er

Quote:

ME. Where are ya?? Will PM you.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 05:03 PM   #4
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

The MPPSK is a very conservative tune. Why not do a JB4? You'll get a lot more power out of that than the tune -- or one of the other non-OEM tunes out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #5
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I don't think comparing flash-tune (Engine management SW like MPPSK and others) with piggyback sensor manipulation (JB4) is adequate...
Both have some advantages and disadvantages, but the 2 type of products must be distinguished.
      02-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
JRocker3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
The MPPSK is a very conservative tune. Why not do a JB4? You'll get a lot more power out of that than the tune -- or one of the other non-OEM tunes out there.
Conservative is sometimes a good thing... it's a 340i not an M-car... I don't want it to be too fast for its own good

I'm sure the JB4 and others give the car an excellent bump in power and torque, but it's just not what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I don't think comparing flash-tune (Engine management SW like MPPSK and others) with piggyback sensor manipulation (JB4) is adequate...
Both have some advantages and disadvantages, but the 2 type of products must be distinguished.
Agreed. I'm also considering Mission Performance, their stage 1 tune looks awesome, I just need someone in PA who can help me tune it!!!
      02-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #7
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Agreed. I'm also considering Mission Performance, their stage 1 tune looks awesome, I just need someone in PA who can help me tune it!!!
when you say "tune it" if you mean loading the tune into your car it's super easy just plug an OBD cable into your laptop, make sure you have wifi a couple clicks and you're done

if you were referring to something else, my apologies for my useless response
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #8
JRocker3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:
when you say "tune it" if you mean loading the tune into your car it's super easy just plug an OBD cable into your laptop, make sure you have wifi a couple clicks and you're done

Ya that's probably as simple as it is... I've never done it before and would hate to mess it up... working with some guys now to get it dialed.
      02-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #9
HLJustin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ya that's probably as simple as it is... I've never done it before and would hate to mess it up... working with some guys now to get it dialed.
It really is that simple. Just make sure you have a windows laptop with obd2 to Ethernet adapter. If your laptop doesn't have Ethernet jack get usb to Ethernet adaptor. Only other suggestion is have battery being trickle charged during process as recommended Mission. I got MPPSK and now have Mission tune. Mission all the way especially with trans tune, unfortunately I wasn't patient enough to wait when I first got car. Could have saved a few thousand.
Appreciate 1
JRocker3346.00
      02-17-2019, 10:21 PM   #10
JRocker3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLJustin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It really is that simple. Just make sure you have a windows laptop with obd2 to Ethernet adapter. If your laptop doesn't have Ethernet jack get usb to Ethernet adaptor. Only other suggestion is have battery being trickle charged during process as recommended Mission. I got MPPSK and now have Mission tune. Mission all the way especially with trans tune, unfortunately I wasn't patient enough to wait when I first got car. Could have saved a few thousand.
Thanks for info... yeah just messaged guys at Mission and I'm gonna go that route... also got MPPSK pricing from the dealer and it's not great... so MP tune it is!
      02-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #11
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Conservative is sometimes a good thing... it's a 340i not an M-car... I don't want it to be too fast for its own good

I'm sure the JB4 and others give the car an excellent bump in power and torque, but it's just not what I'm looking for.
What exactly are you looking for then? JB4 isn't going to make it "too fast for it's own good". B58 has fuel caps, but you will get more power from the JB4 (I run the Active8 form AA) than BMW gives you from the MPPSK for a traction of the money. The only thing you won't gain with a piggyback is the extra burbles on decal.

On my '08 335, I had the dealer install the Dinan S2 tune. After doing the piggy back for 1/4 the price on my '16 340, I don't think I'd bother going back to tune for a daily driver again.

Sorry, just confused here.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #12
JRocker3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What exactly are you looking for then? JB4 isn't going to make it "too fast for it's own good". B58 has fuel caps, but you will get more power from the JB4 (I run the Active8 form AA) than BMW gives you from the MPPSK for a traction of the money. The only thing you won't gain with a piggyback is the extra burbles on decal.

On my '08 335, I had the dealer install the Dinan S2 tune. After doing the piggy back for 1/4 the price on my '16 340, I don't think I'd bother going back to tune for a daily driver again.

Sorry, just confused here.
I understand what you're saying, I think for me and my car I'd much prefer an actual software tune. The piggyback idea just doesn't sit well with me, but I don't doubt it works well!
      02-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #13
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

That is IMO the wiser way. But has of
course the disadvantage that it is not (easily) removable, should that ever be desired.
      02-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #14
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, I think for me and my car I'd much prefer an actual software tune. The piggyback idea just doesn't sit well with me, but I don't doubt it works well!
Keep in mind only the MPPSK in the only tune that won't void warranty. Dealer can see the other tunes and will tag your ride. Piggyback is not detectable.

And you need that MPPSK tune to control the valving for the matching exhaust (so it's not just a matter of finding someone to take the exhaust). Just seems like a very expensive route to gain some power. But, to each their own!
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1886.50
      02-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #15
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Keep in mind only the MPPSK in the only tune that won't void warranty. Dealer can see the other tunes and will tag your ride. Piggyback is not detectable.
Well said... but now just wait for a certain forum troll to explode on you for mentioning warranty and making people aware...
Counting the minutes...

Quote:
And you need that MPPSK tune to control the valving for the matching exhaust (so it's not just a matter of finding someone to take the exhaust).
That is not entirely true. The MPPSK exhaust valves are controlled by the same signal and control logic as the stock exhaust with the only difference that they are 2 connected in parallel vs. 1 in the stock exhaust.
      02-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #16
JRocker3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

And you need that MPPSK tune to control the valving for the matching exhaust (so it's not just a matter of finding someone to take the exhaust). Just seems like a very expensive route to gain some power. But, to each their own!
Oh ya MPPSK is wicked expensive, and I agree a bit odd to split the exhaust and tune... anyway like I said I'm gonna go with Mission.
      02-18-2019, 10:08 PM   #17
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Quote:
well said - warranty is always something to keep in mind - for me I'll be moving forward with the MP tune (engine for sure - probably tranny too) - I'm comfortable with their (MPs) level of expertise when it comes to these things and the numbers they are making are impressive to say the least
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #18
msk340i
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i M sport

Is the exhaust still available?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #19
JRocker3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk340i View Post
Is the exhaust still available?
Nah man, I'm going a different route.
      02-19-2019, 06:42 PM   #20
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh ya MPPSK is wicked expensive, and I agree a bit odd to split the exhaust and tune... anyway like I said I'm gonna go with Mission.
Better choice in my mind. You'll get more out of that tune than the OEM. I was interested in the MPPSK for mine until I called the dealer (if I remember correctly they quoted $7k CAD) which made it a show stopper for me.

Love to hear what you think of the MP tune!
Appreciate 0