F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > CD vs USB audio quality
Extreme Powerhouse

02-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #1
tariqhaque
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive - Sports Line

CD vs USB audio quality

I have a 2013 328i with the CIC system. I have observed that the audio quality of CD is noticibly better than USB stick. Source for creating CD is the same 320 kbps MP3 which I tried in USB stick (in center armrest).

Have any of you noticed it? Is the DAC for CD better than the DAC for USB audio?
      02-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariqhaque View Post
I have a 2013 328i with the CIC system. I have observed that the audio quality of CD is noticibly better than USB stick. Source for creating CD is the same 320 kbps MP3 which I tried in USB stick (in center armrest).

Have any of you noticed it? Is the DAC for CD better than the DAC for USB audio?
If you use Flac files then the quality is as good as CD. Although Flac files are larger than mp3 and take more storage.
I would have thought it would use the same dac.
I wouldn't say there is a huge difference but is noticeable.
You will also notice the difference more depending which stereo system you have.
But I think the convenience of having hundreds of songs on a USB rather than carrying CD's outweighs the lower quality. For most people unless you are a audiophile wouldn't care.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #3
Redchicken
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D GT

The dac is part of the head unit so would be the same irrespective of what source you are using. If the CD and USB have the same source and bit rate then the difference would be negligible. You might want to check how the USB stick was created just to ensure the rate is truly the same. Some CD ripping software can default to 128 Kbps (what was standard MP3 back in the day) would would make a big difference in the sound quality.
Appreciate 0