F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Serious "Remote Access Security Hole" in NETGEAR Routers!
Studio RSR

12-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Exclamation Serious "Remote Access Security Hole" in NETGEAR Routers!

I personally use ASUS but I realize Netgear is hugely popular. Take action immediately if you use them:
http://www.compsecglobal.com/netgear...security-hole/

Quote:
Netgear has just acknowledged a very embarrassing security bug that exists in a number of its home routers, probably including at a minimum the R6400, R7000 and R8000 models of their latest home routers.

The bug is quite easy to explain, and it has been officially announced by CERT.ORG at Carnegie Mellon University. We are suggesting that Netgear will likely publish a firmware patch update very soon indeed; if that does happen, you would be well advised to grab the update quickly and apply it.

In the meanwhile, it’s worth noting that the bug is in the web server built into your router for configuring it and managing your home network.
      12-12-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

I personally did not see a need to have Remote Management turned on in the first place so I never did. Thanks for the heads up though.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13774.50
      12-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

On a somewhat related note I have my Asus's extra networks named:

NSA Datafeed: #8
FBI Datafeed: #3
NSA Datafeed: #4
Ect...

I have them all broadcasting. It was awesome when a new person moved into my neighborhood a couple years ago at about the same time I changed my network names. That is because my other neighbor asked me... Did you met the new people?. I was like no have you? He said no but you may want to be careful browsing the internet... I think the work for the government or something....

:
      12-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post

Ect...

I have them all broadcasting. It was awesome when a new person moved into my neighborhood a couple years ago at about the same time I changed my network names. That is because my other neighbor asked me... Did you met the new people?. I was like no have you? He said no but you may want to be careful browsing the internet... I think the work for the government or something....

:
Yeah, I thought about doing something similar for fun.

But instead I named our network "pretty_fly_for_a_wi-fi". I thought it was more amusing.
Appreciate 2
Xtabi1698.50
      12-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:

Ect...

:
Yeah, I thought about doing something similar for fun.

But instead I named our network "pretty_fly_for_a_wi-fi". I thought it was more amusing.
Haha yea I've seen that one before. That and FBI surveillance van seem to be popular!
      12-13-2016, 08:02 PM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Haha yea I've seen that one before. That and FBI surveillance van seem to be popular!
I'm one of the dorks that has one of their wireless SSIDs as FBI Surveillance Van. But I only have it broadcasting when I'm traveling using my mobile AP connected to the hotel's WiFi tunneled back to my home network. I've traveled all over the country for client visits and for work functions. Haven't had anyone comment about the FBI Surveillance Van SSID yet. Actually surprised none of my coworkers have said anything. Might have to throw up a more provocative SSID. LOL.
Appreciate 0