F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DonDP's F31 330d - Upgrade Thread
Studio RSR

01-26-2018, 03:45 PM   #23
DonDP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 330d / Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm0wax View Post
You still going to be selling your current springs don?
Definitely Brian. Let me make sure they are in good condition tomorrow and I will drop you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 03:14 AM   #24
mm0wax
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M4.0i

Garage List
2019 bmw  [0.00]
👍👍
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #25
DonDP
Private First Class
Rep

Quick Update,

Fitted the ACS Sports Suspension today. This is the complete kit with springs and dampers/struts. Was a relatively straight forward process. Having worked on suspension on other BMWs I knew roughly what to expect. To help though I followed this excellent guide:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=994489

I just doubled checked all the torque figures quoted with these BMW guides here:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=970605

All the torque values quoted in the diy guide are almost correct a few of the bolts need an extra 90degrees once you hit the correct torque so double check with the BMW guides if you take this on.

I also made sure I had all the correct tools before starting as opposed to improvising. It always makes things easier, so I ordered up a Sealey reach through socket set, which did the jobs needed of it well.

I took my time, started with the rear first, lifting the entire rear of the car on to jack stands to take any load out of the roll bar. Then the same with the front, front of the car up on jack stands again to take any load out of the roll bar.

It probably took about 7 hours in all. Including faffing to find the front and rear jacking points. I still don't like jacking from the diff which many people suggest but there isn't really an alternative.

I only had time for a quick test drive but initial impressions are good. Definitely happy with my purchase.

More to follow once I have driven it more and had a chance to capture the 'after' photos, for the all important before and after pictures.
Appreciate 1
Lorcan3609.00
      01-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #26
DonDP
Private First Class
Rep

Now time for the all important before and after photos!

A bit different to others who have done suspension work as my after is actually slightly higher than before. As mentioned this is due to the wrong ACS springs being fitted by the previous owner.

Looks better imo and certainly drivess better with neutral/postive rake.

BEFORE:

AFTER

Appreciate 1
Lorcan3609.00
      01-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #27
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Looks ideal height to me. I've got ACS RS fitted and I think it sits just a touch low at the rear, so may look to get it adjusted.

I'd still recommend that you get the alignment done.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #28
DonDP
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Looks ideal height to me. I've got ACS RS fitted and I think it sits just a touch low at the rear, so may look to get it adjusted.

Absolutely, it will be in at the garage in the next couple weeks for a service, 15mm arb install and full alignment to a custom spec. Nothing too outrageous just slightly less toe in front and rear than standard.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 02:02 PM   #29
DonDP
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post

Also it should be pretty straightforward to raise the height of rear. I believe the RS kit is manufactured by KW so it should be as simple a threaded spring perch. The KW kit comes with a tool to turn these. All you need to do is take a wheel off and use the tool to turn and raise the perch.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #30
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

The arch gaps are spot on IMO. Like Tengo my rear arch gaps are a smidgen lower than that, but it's been OK so far and I can add increase the damper stiffness if needs be.

Nice work Don
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #31
mm0wax
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M4.0i

Garage List
2019 bmw  [0.00]
Looking good Dave.👍
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 03:45 PM   #32
DonDP
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers guys,

Thought you might like to see the state my rear bump stops were in...

Fortunately, I spotted them when doing the brakes so ordered some new ones for the install.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #33
DonDP
Private First Class
Rep

Just posted a review of the ACS sports suspension here:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...4#post22717844
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #34
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

You posted a link on Bimmerpost to a review you've posted on Bimmerpost :

Good write-up though. Glad you're happy with it

What's next ?
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #35
DonDP
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
You posted a link on Bimmerpost to a review you've posted on Bimmerpost :

Good write-up though. Glad you're happy with it

What's next ?
Just thought it made sense to separate the review for future search purposes. Just linked it here to keep the build thread complete.

Car is booked for the rear ARB and Geometry on the 12th Feb
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 01:18 AM   #36
DonDP
Private First Class
Rep

A little update,

I have had the rear arb and custom geometry on a while now but due to the less than ideal conditions not really been able to comment on how its affected dynamics until now. Before all this snow arrived I managed to grab a couple of hours on empty and dry, albeit cold roads. Traction control completely off and away I went.

This is now how I like a car to behave, complete throttle adjustability, albeit with the e-lsd limitations. That said, I was quite impressed with the e-lsd, certainly stops a wheel from just spinning away and enables you to adjust the attitude if the car, but then falls short for any prolonged slides/applications of throttle.

How has this effected normal drive ability? Not one bit. Leave the traction on and potter about in 'comfort' and its the same as any 330d.

This setup would be perfect for those who want to make this car feel far more responsive to driver input and closer to the dynamics of a much lighter RWD vehicle.

For me there is one mod left the Quaife LSD, just waiting for Birds to come back to me with some dates!

For reference this is the geometry I asked for. The garage delivered, and all settings where in the middle of the ranges specified:

FRONT:
Camber : Not adjustable
TOE : per wheel 0.04 to 0.08
TOTAL Toe 0.08 to 0.16

REAR:
Camber : -1.8 to -2.0
TOE : per wheel 0.09 to 0.12
TOTAL Toe 0.18 to 0.24
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 04:46 AM   #37
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Good to hear that you are enjoying the changes as you add them to the car. As a relatively cost-effective means of getting some increase in front camber I can recommend SuperPro camber-adjustable bushes. I managed to achieve 1' 17", and although not as good as installing camber adjustable top mounts, of course, they do make a nice difference.

Let us know what you think of the Quaife diff once you've got the feel for it. I wouldn't be without mine
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 05:02 AM   #38
DonDP
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Good to hear that you are enjoying the changes as you add them to the car. As a relatively cost-effective means of getting some increase in front camber I can recommend SuperPro camber-adjustable bushes. I managed to achieve 1' 17", and although not as good as installing camber adjustable top mounts, of course, they do make a nice difference.

Let us know what you think of the Quaife diff once you've got the feel for it. I wouldn't be without mine
Thanks for the link to the offset bushings. I have used them in other applications but a nice idea for additional camber. I am not likely to track this so will see how my tyre wear is first.

I was surprised by how little camber it runs as standard. Mine is at -0.3 degrees...

All booked in for the 14th at Birds!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 06:15 AM   #39
DonDP
Private First Class
Rep

Quick update, Quiafe LSD went in yesterday. So far impressions are good.

Loads more grip pulling out of wet junctions and even more predictable when pushing past limits of grip, basically it delivers what an LSD is meant to, which was to be expected.

For now I think the upgrades are done bar swapping out the run flats when they are due.

I have accomplished what I set out to achieve with the car and it certainly can put a smile on my face. Just a shame you can't buy them like this as standard.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #40
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDP View Post
Quick update, Quiafe LSD went in yesterday. So far impressions are good.

Loads more grip pulling out of wet junctions and even more predictable when pushing past limits of grip, basically it delivers what an LSD is meant to, which was to be expected.

For now I think the upgrades are done bar swapping out the run flats when they are due.

I have accomplished what I set out to achieve with the car and it certainly can put a smile on my face. Just a shame you can't buy them like this as standard.
I thought you'd like it
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #41
smithers330d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport sDrive

Liking the car mate! Looks just like mine. I've got the ACS sports kit too and I haven't looked back.

Enjoy!

Previous: F31 330d M Sport S Drive with ACS Sports Suspension and DMS remap. Remains the best car I've ever owned!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #42
DonDP
Private First Class
Rep

Oh yes, I like it a lot, after some more miles in it today, it is astonishing how much better the traction is and the fun that can be had.

On another note, whilst at birds, Kevin was keen to take the car out after I mentioned it had the ACS Sports kit on it. He agreed that the ride and performance was much improved but said he could feel the rear oscillating slightly which could be stiffness at the rear or the thicker rear roll bar installed or the fact it is still on run-flats. I personally suspect ACS tune the dampers this way to gain improved rear balance without having to opt for ARB upgrades.

I also went out in their demonstrator with the full birds suspension setup which includes thicker roll bars. It was on 20" wheels (non run-flats) which wouldn't have helped but it was definitely not as comfortable as the ACS setup I have, but would probably still be acceptable for those who don't live around horrendous roads.

It certainly had less body roll, seemed well balanced and dealt with all the bumps and undulations that were thrown at it.

Kevin also told me he has a new setup in works that does not require the ARB changes so should then be on par with the comfort of the ACS setup.

Having debated buying either kit myself I am pretty sure I would have been happy with either choice. However, after experiencing both I would still opt for the ACS again. The balance and composure is on par with the birds kit, it might not have as much ultimate grip due to some (not excessive) body roll, but removing that by adding thicker ARBs comes at the expense of some comfort.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 06:41 AM   #43
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Nice write up. Are you planning on changing the rear diffuser? If so what you going for?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 06:52 AM   #44
DonDP
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Nice write up. Are you planning on changing the rear diffuser? If so what you going for?
Thanks, I think I am going to leave the exterior as it is. Quite like the sleeper look.
Appreciate 0