F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-13-2020, 08:07 AM   #507
Salty Dog
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
3499
Rep
886
Posts

Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Citations are typically pre-filled to some extent (...officer's info, local court info, etc.), and he ran you for wants and warrants prior to the stop. All that was left for the officer to do was fill in your info, the violation info and ask you to sign the citation. It's all fairly quick when we want it to be.
Quite right, having said that I have taken a very long time on occasion especially if the client was speeding and seems to feel that I have inconvenienced them by stopping them. The you need to slow down message needs some additional reinforcement.
Appreciate 2
pz6192233.00
Sedan_Clan4271.50

      01-13-2020, 04:34 PM   #508
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9038
Rep
8,023
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Quite right, having said that I have taken a very long time on occasion especially if the client was speeding and seems to feel that I have inconvenienced them by stopping them. The you need to slow down message needs some additional reinforcement.
Or HER clothing (or lack thereof. Wait, Canadia, nevermind. . . )
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3499.00

      01-13-2020, 04:53 PM   #509
unluky
Captain
unluky's Avatar
412
Rep
875
Posts

Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sedalia, MO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I love this thread. I have a few friends in LE and I can put myself in their shoes about walking up to dark cars, people who lip, the whole frustration of the process - etc.

My girlfriend always says how "lucky" I am for never getting a ticket. I tell her it is not luck at all. When I get pulled over, usually for speeding, it is never fast enough to make the officer mad (25 over or some crap) and I always pull over in a safe spot, shut my car off, open my window and if it is night I turn my dome light on and put my hands up on the steering wheel in plain sight. I admit guilt the second they ask and hand them anything they request with a smile. They are just doing their jobs.

I have not had a ticket for years and she has been with me twice when I get pulled over and she swears I just get lucky. I always tell her - I believe it is 90% how you treat the officer. They are normal people just like us and most probably don't even like handing people tickets. I give them every reason in the world not to give me one (by being nice) and even if they did I deserved it and still thank them and go on down the road. My fault - not theirs.

Every time I meet some douche that says he hates cops - within seconds I know why just by their entire personality. I want to give them a ticket and I am not even an officer.

You have affirmed that if you are a nice guy, most likely you will get a break. I'd be the same way in your shoes. I would also love the few I wrote for the real jerks too.
__________________
2015 X5 XDrive 35i - 2004 Z4 3.0 Sport
Appreciate 4
Salty Dog3499.00
Sedan_Clan4271.50
Kelse92206.50

      01-13-2020, 04:58 PM   #510
Salty Dog
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
3499
Rep
886
Posts

Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
I love this thread. I have a few friends in LE and I can put myself in their shoes about walking up to dark cars, people who lip, the whole frustration of the process - etc.

My girlfriend always says how "lucky" I am for never getting a ticket. I tell her it is not luck at all. When I get pulled over, usually for speeding, it is never fast enough to make the officer mad (25 over or some crap) and I always pull over in a safe spot, shut my car off, open my window and if it is night I turn my dome light on and put my hands up on the steering wheel in plain sight. I admit guilt the second they ask and hand them anything they request with a smile. They are just doing their jobs.

I have not had a ticket for years and she has been with me twice when I get pulled over and she swears I just get lucky. I always tell her - I believe it is 90% how you treat the officer. They are normal people just like us and most probably don't even like handing people tickets. I give them every reason in the world not to give me one (by being nice) and even if they did I deserved it and still thank them and go on down the road. My fault - not theirs.

Every time I meet some douche that says he hates cops - within seconds I know why just by their entire personality. I want to give them a ticket and I am not even an officer.

You have affirmed that if you are a nice guy, most likely you will get a break. I'd be the same way in your shoes. I would also love the few I wrote for the real jerks too.
Your behaviour has likely had your desired effect when you get stopped. Be polite, don't lie to the police. If they ask do you know why you were stopped, you probably know the answer. Say so, apologize and you can ask for a break. That and what you do goes a long way.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan4271.50

      01-13-2020, 05:45 PM   #511
vreihen16
Lieutenant
United_States
1508
Rep
446
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
If they ask do you know why you were stopped, you probably know the answer.
Because the officer couldn't catch up with the faster cars?

In all seriousness, my F-I-L used that answer to a state trooper...and received a commemorative speeding ticket to remember the day by.....
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 18K miles
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2020, 04:34 AM   #512
Salty Dog
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
3499
Rep
886
Posts

Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Because the officer couldn't catch up with the faster cars?

In all seriousness, my F-I-L used that answer to a state trooper...and received a commemorative speeding ticket to remember the day by.....
My first car was a 1969 Friebird, I was sitting outside of my high school with my girlfriend at the time in the car with me and I did a pretty decent burn out in front of the school. I didn't see the cop and was promptly pulled over. I remember the copper saying to me "trying to impress the little lady and I replied "no sir, I did that for my own personal satisfaction".......he laughed and gave me a warning.
Appreciate 3
Dang3r3528.00
MKSixer19869.00

      01-14-2020, 08:10 AM   #513
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Dang3r's Avatar
Germany
3528
Rep
1,508
Posts

Drives: RS 5
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Liandri Central Core

iTrader: (0)

At beginning of my 20ths I got pulled over within city limits for speeding, car was full of slightly drunk friends, well, I pulled the driver-card that day.
As the officer appeared at the lowered driver side window and asked me, if I had awared the speed limit, the dude on my right ripped immediately the glove box open and yelled into it "Bridge to machine room, stop coal firing, we're too fast".
Even the cop smiled brightly and I got away with a warning
__________________
RS 5 - ZX12R LE - GPZ750 Turbo

I///M the infidel, your BMW-dealer had warned you about
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #514
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
19869
Rep
8,853
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
My first car was a 1969 Friebird, I was sitting outside of my high school with my girlfriend at the time in the car with me and I did a pretty decent burn out in front of the school. I didn't see the cop and was promptly pulled over. I remember the copper saying to me "trying to impress the little lady and I replied "no sir, I did that for my own personal satisfaction".......he laughed and gave me a warning.
Like me and my first 4 wheel drift. I needed witnesses so I had a bunch of friends in the car. As soon as I exited the turn Officer Kirk. Yes...I remember his name was standing in the road and pointed me over. He reamed me out for a minute and let me go. It was the beginning of a long and very interesting relationship I've had over the last 35+ years with our friendly rivals!!

__________________
Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3499.00

      01-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #515
unluky
Captain
unluky's Avatar
412
Rep
875
Posts

Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sedalia, MO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Your behaviour has likely had your desired effect when you get stopped. Be polite, don't lie to the police. If they ask do you know why you were stopped, you probably know the answer. Say so, apologize and you can ask for a break. That and what you do goes a long way.
I agree 100%. I have never asked for a break and probably never will, but I won't turn down their kindness if they are offering it.
__________________
2015 X5 XDrive 35i - 2004 Z4 3.0 Sport
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3499.00

      01-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #516
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
2812
Rep
904
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Here's a case of what not to do.

A cop friend of mine was working some voluntary OT, interviewing some of the victims of a rash of burglaries and gathering info on what had been stolen. He was in uniform, driving an unmarked but fully equipped Crown Vic.

He was driving to his next interview and sort of "rolled" a 4-way stop in a residential neighborhood where he could clearly see there were no other cars approaching the intersection. This is in the middle of a clear day.

A block or so later, he's got a car on right on his tail. He can hear the horn honking and can see headlights flashing and arms waving. He figures it's someone wanting to alert him to something, or possibly having an emergency of some sort. So he pulls to the curb.

The other driver stops behind him and stumbles and weaves his way up to his window and in a very slurry and hoarse voice scolds him "Hey, asshole, you didn't stop at that f*ckin' stop sign back there!" And then only a second later "Mr. Thirsty" spots my buddy's uniform and all the radio gear and the laptop in the car and mumbles "Ah, fuck..." Yes, he got a DUI. I seem to recall he blew a pro-level BAC of something like .25.

Don't drink and drive. And if you do, for fuck's sake don't pull over a cop.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan4271.50
vreihen161507.50

      01-15-2020, 03:57 PM   #517
TURBO8
Private First Class
United_States
1516
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: LV NV

iTrader: (0)

What are your thoughts on cops that act like the cop that ran away in this situation?

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kKnXb_1578877300
"Police on Miami's South Beach shot and killed a man after he stabbed one of their officers"
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 04:05 PM   #518
Middy2000
Middy2000
United Kingdom
17
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: 218d Sport
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Lincolnshire, England

iTrader: (0)

Just found this thread after the recent post.

I'm happy to offer my expert opinion based on my 20 odd years service.

Difference being is that I'm in the UK so we do things a little differently here.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan4271.50

      01-15-2020, 04:06 PM   #519
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
2812
Rep
904
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
...
If they ask do you know why you were stopped, you probably know the answer....
One time a cop stopped me and asked that, and the follow-up question was "Why were you going so fast?" I replied straight-faced "Because I didn't see you."

He didn't find it amusing, as far as I could tell. I can't recall whether or not I got a receipt for my superior car handling on that particular occasion.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 04:13 PM   #520
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4272
Rep
15,601
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBO8 View Post
What are your thoughts on cops that act like the cop that ran away in this situation?

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kKnXb_1578877300
"Police on Miami's South Beach shot and killed a man after he stabbed one of their officers"
Are you referring to the heavy set woman? As far as I'm concerned she didn't really run away, but rather stepped away considering she didn't have the same vantage point as the other officers. There was nothing she could've done from where she was standing based on where the suspect was laying.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #521
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4272
Rep
15,601
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middy2000 View Post
Just found this thread after the recent post.

I'm happy to offer my expert opinion based on my 20 odd years service.

Difference being is that I'm in the UK so we do things a little differently here.
I would love for you to share your insight(s) Sir!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 04:22 PM   #522
infinitekidM2C
Brigadier General
infinitekidM2C's Avatar
United_States
1642
Rep
4,984
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middy2000 View Post
Just found this thread after the recent post.

I'm happy to offer my expert opinion based on my 20 odd years service.

Difference being is that I'm in the UK so we do things a little differently here.
Ever get involved in some Football hooliganism?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:00 PM   #523
Salty Dog
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
3499
Rep
886
Posts

Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I would love for you to share your insight(s) Sir!
Stop or I'll toot. Sorry, no offence. I worked with a bunch of ex Met guys in Toronto. Good old school coppers.
Appreciate 2
UncleWede9038.00
Sedan_Clan4271.50

      01-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #524
vreihen16
Lieutenant
United_States
1508
Rep
446
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middy2000 View Post
Difference being is that I'm in the UK so we do things a little differently here.
Is it really true that you do not carry pistols as side arms while on duty over on the other side of the pond? If so, would you want to carry one if it were permitted?????
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 18K miles
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 06:23 AM   #525
Middy2000
Middy2000
United Kingdom
17
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: 218d Sport
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Lincolnshire, England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Is it really true that you do not carry pistols as side arms while on duty over on the other side of the pond? If so, would you want to carry one if it were permitted?????
We do have armed officers but it's a specialist post. Most frontline officers carry TASER these days.

Would I like to be armed? No, not at this stage. We don't have a firearms issues like you guys and I feel that if we become compulsory armed then the criminals will up the ante.
Sure I've been assaulted plenty of times on duty but mostly by flailing elbows etc...
Appreciate 1
vreihen161507.50

      01-16-2020, 06:26 AM   #526
Middy2000
Middy2000
United Kingdom
17
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: 218d Sport
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Lincolnshire, England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Ever get involved in some Football hooliganism?

Off Duty? Not anymore. LOL.

Yes I've policed many a football (soccer to you guys) match.

It's not what it used to be. In the 80's hooligansism was a major thing. These days you are looking at a relatively small minority that spoil it for the majority. You're talking 40 people from a crowd of 40,000.

Most of it is all about cat and mouse for them. We usually stand in the middle whilst they gesticulate and threaten each other. One day I'd love for us to step out the middle and say "crack on lads". They'd shit themselves and run away for sure.

Last edited by Middy2000; 02-07-2020 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 07:00 AM   #527
Salty Dog
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
3499
Rep
886
Posts

Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middy2000 View Post
We do have armed officers but it's a specialist post. Most frontline officers carry TASER these days.

Would I like to be armed? No, not at this stage. We don't have a firearms issues like you guys and I feel that if we become compulsory armed then the criminals will up the ante.
Sure I've been assaulted plenty of times on duty but mostly by flailing elbows etc...
We hear a lot about knives being a real issue in the UK, from my point of view the appropriate response to edged weapons is a firearm.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 07:42 AM   #528
CTinline-six
Welcome to Jurassic Park
CTinline-six's Avatar
United_States
3569
Rep
2,070
Posts

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Your behaviour has likely had your desired effect when you get stopped. Be polite, don't lie to the police. If they ask do you know why you were stopped, you probably know the answer. Say so, apologize and you can ask for a break. That and what you do goes a long way.
Yup, police are human like everyone else.

I did an internship with a local PD in college, and I could see clearly why they do everything they do when stopping someone. They want to go home to their families. Many of the officers I was with said they usually just gave warnings to the town residents unless they were assholes or were definitely way over the speed limit or had some other issue. Many, many people talked their way into a ticket or even court just because of their attitude. The worst were the brotruck drivers. Every single one had a macho attitude and wanted to basically fight the cop before he even got to their window. Not sure what they thought pretending to be a macho guy to someone who can legally drag them out of their vehicle and take them to jail will do for them. Their girlfriends never seemed impressed when they had to drive the dude's truck home.
__________________
Josh
Appreciate 3
Rmtt3571.50
Sedan_Clan4271.50
Salty Dog3499.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST