F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 motor and aftermarket intakes
ARMA SPEED

02-25-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
svartorn
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i M-Sport (F31)

N20 motor and aftermarket intakes

Shopping for mods for my '14 328 wagon and a friend said he heard about intakes leading to more carbon buildup. I did some searching and I didn't see anything about that so I figured I'd make a thread and ask. Anyone heard anything about this?

svartorn | '14 F31 // '18 i3
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Short answer, no.

You are paying for sound. Not worth it. Use the search to get more info.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 01:18 AM   #3
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by svartorn View Post
Shopping for mods for my '14 328 wagon and a friend said he heard about intakes leading to more carbon buildup. I did some searching and I didn't see anything about that so I figured I'd make a thread and ask. Anyone heard anything about this?
you are buying for swooshh sound under the hood

watch youtube, there's a channel that compared stock intake, pod intake, drop in filter, etc. Showed a little to none improvement, even some are causing performance drop on certain rpm compared to stock
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #4
svartorn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
Short answer, no.

You are paying for sound. Not worth it. Use the search to get more info.
Yeah I’m aware it’s mostly for noise. Had one on my R56 Cooper S and a few other cars. Not convinced I even really 100% want one on the F31 yet.

I was just concerned about increased carbon buildup due to one.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The main source of carbon build up on the intake valves and manifold is oil that gets there via the PCV. It doesn't get cleaned by detergent in the fuel because the fuel doesn't go through the intake manifold or valves in a direct injected engine. The fix is an oil catch can between the crankcase and PCV that, as the name implies, catches the oil. The air intake has nothing to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 03:13 PM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

I recently installed a MST intake in my 328i M-Sport. When combining all the performance mods together - and my car has lots of scope to add more - it becomes a very engaging car to drive, not because all mods add performance, but the aural sensation increase also value adds to the driving experience.

The 'whoosh' of the intake (best in sport setting) may be an expensive 'upgrade', but it sure adds to the overall driving package. It's a LOT of fun to hear.

You don't go buying 328i, 330, 335, 340 to keep them stock. You buy them to add some FUN to them. Oh, and while you're at it, replace the turbo inlet pipe with a solid MST intake pipe.

Go for it and enjoy modding your car.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #7
svartorn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
I recently installed a MST intake in my 328i M-Sport. When combining all the performance mods together - and my car has lots of scope to add more - it becomes a very engaging car to drive, not because all mods add performance, but the aural sensation increase also value adds to the driving experience.

The 'whoosh' of the intake (best in sport setting) may be an expensive 'upgrade', but it sure adds to the overall driving package. It's a LOT of fun to hear.

You don't go buying 328i, 330, 335, 340 to keep them stock. You buy them to add some FUN to them. Oh, and while you're at it, replace the turbo inlet pipe with a solid MST intake pipe.

Yep, my inner ricer enjoyed the WOOOSH and crackle burbles on the R56.

I think my wagon doing the same thing would be hilariously fun. Gonna do charge pipe, down pipe, BM3, and some other goodies.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:59 AM   #8
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post

I wonder how the MST compares to the FTP inlet pipe, since the FTP is metal vs rubber?

Also my nxt mod is gonna be the Injen Evo intake, Bimmerworld has already proven it can make up to +15hp & 16tq...
      02-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #9
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzBmer_N2o View Post
I wonder how the MST compares to the FTP inlet pipe, since the FTP is metal vs rubber?
the aluminum FTP should transmit more turbo whine while the silcone MST will have an advantage from heatsoak. however the air is moving quickly through the short tubing so i suspect the difference in performance between the two are negligible. i don't know of any third party dyno comparisons between the two.

i have FTP charge and TIC pipes and am impressed with their quality and fitment. i'm thinking of adding the FTP myself as it looks nicer and more thought out. for me, the MST looks a bit ungainly, heavier and more of an afterthought. you'll barely see it anyhow and they're both around the same cost. so, get whichever one appeals to you more.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      02-27-2020, 02:13 PM   #10
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
Quote:
the aluminum FTP should transmit more turbo whine while the silcone MST will have an advantage from heatsoak. however the air is moving quickly through the short tubing so i suspect the difference in performance between the two are negligible. i don't know of any third party dyno comparisons between the two.

i have FTP charge and TIC pipes and am impressed with their quality and fitment. i'm thinking of adding the FTP myself as it looks nicer and more thought out. for me, the MST looks a bit ungainly, heavier and more of an afterthought. you'll barely see it anyhow and they're both around the same cost. so, get whichever one appeals to you more.
Intresting, thanks for your input and review. I did find out the FTP parts are i believe made in Taiwan and not China, which rumors mill that China has the worst metal parts quality issues. Also the FTP does allow you to custom color your pipes, including TIC, CP, BP's and can buy them in a set which i might end up doing since i most likely will be going the Stage 2 route in the near future.
      02-27-2020, 02:41 PM   #11
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Intresting, thanks for your input and review. I did find out the FTP parts are i believe made in Taiwan and not China, which rumors mill that China has the worst metal parts quality issues. Also the FTP does allow you to custom color your pipes, including TIC, CP, BP's and can buy them in a set which i might end up doing since i most likely will be going the Stage 2 route in the near future.
FTP is indeed made in Taiwan and they make a great product. you might as well add the Turbo inlet/intake pipe leading into the turbo as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 06:20 PM   #12
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
i use the FPT charge pipe and intake pipe, and it was great product. I recommend to purchase the charge pipe and intake pipe, rather than buying a cold air intake system if you on limited budget.

i'm also choosing red color option for the charge pipe, which improve the visual of the engine
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2020, 07:27 PM   #13
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luverse View Post
Quote:
i use the FPT charge pipe and intake pipe, and it was great product. I recommend to purchase the charge pipe and intake pipe, rather than buying a cold air intake system if you on limited budget.

i'm also choosing red color option for the charge pipe, which improve the visual of the engine
Quote:
Quote:

I can Affirm the payments on the Injen Intake w/ $0 interest payments lol..
      02-27-2020, 07:30 PM   #14
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
wow that's a deal
on my previous N20 engine, i also use the injen evolution, and bro, i can feel the different since low torque with stage 2 BM3
That's the best day of my N20, before it blow
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:51 PM   #15
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

you can get the FTP pipes custom color for extra fee. here are custom blue pipes for a 340i, looks awesome.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1628506
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 10:01 PM   #16
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
you can get the FTP pipes custom color for extra fee. here are custom blue pipes for a 340i, looks awesome.

mine is red, and its free
but the blue is great too
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #17
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
wow that's a deal
on my previous N20 engine, i also use the injen evolution, and bro, i can feel the different since low torque with stage 2 BM3
Quote:

Those are a beauty, can't wait till i get these ornaments lol for X-mas...

Man if i didn't buy a house recently, i would be spending all my money on this slow-old-mans F30 Project. But the flip side is, in about 6-7yrs from now, i can do a Refi and get cash back of about $100k, hopefully the Misses won't see half of that missing hehe...
      02-28-2020, 03:27 PM   #18
svartorn
Rep

Quote:

I am now fully erect. 🤣

Appreciate 1
      02-28-2020, 03:30 PM   #19
svartorn
Rep

Quote:
wow that's a deal
😳 What all mods were you running to make it blow?

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:16 PM   #20
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
stage 2 AGG BM3
Decat straight pipe exhaust
GFB DV+
Injen Evolution CAI
FTP Charge Pipe
FTP TIC
Wagner competition FMIC
36k miles
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #21
NZf30
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 328i sportline

Recently installed a GFB diverter valve on my 328i f30, what mission getting the screws in place.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      02-29-2020, 08:01 AM   #22
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
stage 2 AGG BM3
Decat straight pipe exhaust
GFB DV+
Injen Evolution CAI
FTP Charge Pipe
FTP TIC
Wagner competition FMIC
36k miles
I think that Stge 2 AGG might have made things speed up the process, whatcha think?