F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 328i Sport 8AT Review by Motortrend: 5.6 sec 0-60 mph!
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #111
ReevesBMW
ReevesBMW's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
564
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb0mike View Post
What they didn't mention is that it went into limp mode after those 2 laps haha.
Off topic but I like your sig. Any pics of your car?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #112
BLKBullet
BLK Bullet
United_States
2
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 328
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

doesn't really make sense to order the 35 anymore.

does anyone know more about this 340i? when it may be launched etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #113
BLKBullet
BLK Bullet
United_States
2
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 328
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

doesn't really make sense to order the 35 anymore.

does anyone know more about this 340i? when it may be launched etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #114
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
5633
Rep
18,547
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
this is all interesting talk ... especially since rumors floated around a few months ago about the upcoming MY13 Msport model having a power bump. BMW squashed the rumor in Detroit but i have to admit that would be expected even if they were to introduce a power bump come June.
As I recall, the rumor of a power increase for the MSport sedan were started by one of the larger magazines. It was never really believeable though, not least because the MSport trim will be available accross the lineup (which even includes cars like the 320d and 320i in some markets - but not Canada's 320i), so a power increase didn't make any sense. They aren't going to increase the power on every single engine. And even if the rumor had been limited just to the 335i, it would remain unconvincing since BMW does not traditionally include engine modifications with the MSport package (and yes I know the old E46 330i ZHP offered in the US did have more power than the standard model, but that predates the proper MSport package in the US).

A much more believeable scenario is a future M Performance model with more power.

Quote:
June is the start of production for the new coupe and the sedan Msport and thats just around the corner ... coincidence? not sure but definitely raises the antennas that they may be hiding something
If you mean the F32 coupe (which I assume you do - can't imagine what else you'd have been referring to), then you are jumping the gun. That car won't arrive until next year, probably in the late summer to be specific.

Now, it is true that at that time there will likely be a power increase. But just how they decide to play it remains a mystery. For one thing, I don't see the 328i getting more power or a name change to 330i at this time (though in the future that is a good possibility). So already, they will likely be bucking tradition in that regard. We'll have to wait and see what they do with the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #115
7or8
Private First Class
3
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: 09' 335i 6MT MSport
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: RI

iTrader: (2)

Yeah, something's up. I don't see much room for a car in between the 335 and the M3 as far as power and performance goes. For the a 340i to fit, something's got to give. If they make the 340i too close to the M3, it'll cannibalization the M3's sales. If the 335 is too close to the 340i, the same thing will happen to the 340i.

Bmw has made the 328 a better performer than the last car. They didn't make the 335 more powerful than the last one, it's actually very slightly less powerful than the last one it seems. Also, they didn't bother to modify the chassis and engine layout of the 335 to handle as well as the 328 around a track (which they knew mag reviewers would jump all over). Plus, they're pushing the 328 like no ones business. Bmw is setting us up for something.

I don't think that 335 lovers have anything to worry about. I think something is coming down the line that will make them very happy to trade in their e90 335s. Then they can get back to feeling that high and mightiness they got used to over 328 owners ..lol

Last edited by 7or8; 02-17-2012 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #116
Grande Oso
Captain
Grande Oso's Avatar
United_States
425
Rep
754
Posts

Drives: '14 X1
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: 91739

iTrader: (0)

with the capability of getting 290 hp from the n20 make the whole 28i line exciting!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #117
Rolitto
Second Lieutenant
Rolitto's Avatar
Lebanon
4
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Beirut and Canada

iTrader: (0)

I prefer the 328i over 335i since the power figures of that 3.0 liter turbo-charged engine is NOT by much higher than the smaller 2.0 liter unit.

Last edited by Rolitto; 02-17-2012 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: Correction
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #118
shoptb
Major
shoptb's Avatar
United_States
131
Rep
1,034
Posts

Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver Area

iTrader: (0)

Some of the anti-4-cylinder comments in this forum are humorous to me. Historically speaking, the 3-Series (and predecessor 2002) began with a 4-banger, and although the 6-cylinders have definitely played an exhilarating part of the line...I for one am pretty excited that the 328 is grabbing the positive praise and becoming a more integral part of the line. Performance numbers matching (or exceeding) the 335 with awesome fuel economy to boost....it's hard to knock. Just my $.02.

P.S. - seems like BMW is going to have to up the ante on the 335...kind of like they had to do with the E93 M3 compared to the E92 335...not enough differentiation for the $$
__________________
Delivered --> '19 G01 X3 m40i, 8SA, Glacier Silver with Mocha Vernasca, ZDA, ZDB, ZPK, ZPP w/ 4HA, ZPX, 3AC, 4K1, 688, 6NW, 5DF
Past --> '15 F33 328xi, 8SA, '13 F30 328i, '08 E92 335xi, '95 E34 530i, '88 E30 M3

Last edited by shoptb; 02-17-2012 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #119
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
5633
Rep
18,547
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Those are good points. And I agree with you - I think something is going to happen soon and it isn't going to be the normal power bump or what we might expect.

I am not ready to believe yet that the 335i will be replaced wholesale by an ///M340i model. And I think a regular series 340i isn't likely based on SCOTTs comment that they are reserving that name for the premium offerings (read 640i and 740i) for now.

It is hard to say how it will play out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7or8 View Post
Yeah, something's up. I don't see much room for a car in between the 335 and the M3 as far as power and performance goes. For the a 340i to fit, something's got to give. If they make the 340i too close to the M3, it'll cannibalization the M3's sales. If the 335 is too close to the 340i, the same thing will happen to the 340i.

Bmw has made the 328 a better performer than the last car. They didn't make the 335 more powerful than the last one, it's actually very slightly less powerful than the last one it seems. Also, they didn't bother to modify the chassis and engine layout of the 335 to handle as well as the 328 around a track (which they knew mag reviewers would jump all over). Plus, they're pushing the 328 like no ones business. Bmw is setting us up for something.

I don't think that 335 lovers have anything to worry about. I think something is coming down the line that will make them very happy to trade in their e90 335s. Then they can get back to feeling that high and mightiness they got used to over 328 owners ..lol
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #120
7or8
Private First Class
3
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: 09' 335i 6MT MSport
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: RI

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
.. I think something is going to happen soon and it isn't going to be the normal power bump or what we might expect.

I am not ready to believe yet that the 335i will be replaced wholesale by an ///M340i model..
I agree. Bmw made a move on the automotive chess board with the F30 line up. There'll probably be a few more before we see what they're really up to.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #121
catalyst
Private First Class
7
Rep
118
Posts

Drives: X1
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Really good points in this thread.

If you were to buy today, I think the 328i is the no-brainer choice compared to the 335i. That was not the case in the previous generation, and I think in 9-12 months the decision will also not be as simple. I do expect BMW to slot something in above the 335i via replacement.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #122
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
302
Rep
1,536
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: sD, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

If you mean the F32 coupe (which I assume you do - can't imagine what else you'd have been referring to), then you are jumping the gun. That car won't arrive until next year, probably in the late summer to be specific.
i am referring to the f32 and the reason i say that is because they stop production of the e92/e93 sometime around this June ... so then youre sayin that they wont be producing any coupes/conv for almost a yr? no. im predicting the original timeline people have been referring to is wrong. we will see a coupe the this calendar yr.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543372
__________________
Formerly addicted to e46fanatics
Formerly addicted to e90post
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #123
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
5633
Rep
18,547
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Ah, but they key to that thread was this "At Least June 2012". So yes, they will stop production of the MY2012 E92/E93 in June in order to... wait for it... start production of the MY2013 E92/E93.

In other words you've missed the memo. It has already been confirmed that there will indeed be an MY2013 E92/E93.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637125

Regarding seeing an F32 this year, you should take a look at the most recent spy shots and compare to the later F30 spy shots. The car is simply nowhere near ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
i am referring to the f32 and the reason i say that is because they stop production of the e92/e93 sometime around this June ... so then youre sayin that they wont be producing any coupes/conv for almost a yr? no. im predicting the original timeline people have been referring to is wrong. we will see a coupe the this calendar yr.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543372
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #124
ATX78703
Major
28
Rep
1,001
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7or8 View Post
Yeah, something's up. I don't see much room for a car in between the 335 and the M3 as far as power and performance goes. For the a 340i to fit, something's got to give. If they make the 340i too close to the M3, it'll cannibalization the M3's sales. If the 335 is too close to the 340i, the same thing will happen to the 340i.
Well, in the ideal world they would a 250 hp version, 350 hp version and a 450 hp version.... which is exactly what they would have if the 335i was uprated. so maybe they'll just leave it alone and make a ///M340i or something that cranks 350??

I can't imagine a uprated N55 or N55tu or whatever going all the way up to 350 hp, without charging an arm & a leg for it (read...///M performance model). The current _40i moniker is 315 hp, which isn't that much of a gain over the n55.
__________________
2014 335i RWD: ZMM, ZDA, ZDH, ZPP, ZTP, 2NH, 2TB, 5DL; Z4A MPPK; AW ext / VB int

2014 ML350: P01, R33, 297, 319, 846, 864, 889, 996; LB ext / AB int
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #125
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3485
Rep
8,444
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
I can't imagine a uprated N55 or N55tu or whatever going all the way up to 350 hp, without charging an arm & a leg for it (read...///M performance model). The current _40i moniker is 315 hp, which isn't that much of a gain over the n55.
I gather they can't keep using the N54 for emissions reasons, but the 335is, Z4 3.5is and 1M motor makes between 320 and 340 hp, and actually seems to dyno higher than that anyway. So they've proven they can fairly easily do this.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #126
e46e92love
Brigadier General
e46e92love's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
3,218
Posts

Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The East Side of Things

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
This kind of review reminds of why any type of 6-cylinder engine, inline or V, will provide the new ///M3 with many advantages over the current one (which I absolutely LOVE). Being able to get weight reduction up front while pushing it further back behind the front axle will provide a lot of benefits over a larger NA V-8. For sure I will miss the S65, but every day I come closer and closer to the side of the new ///M3 will be a magical car.

The argument of the 328i vs. 335i is similar to the argument of the 740 and 750 that C&D made and I can attest to it being SPOT ON......my father came from a 750Li and chose to go with the 740Li when his lease was up last summer. He had to order a 2012 because he wanted the ARS that many 740s that are on the lots seem to be missing, I guess because people assume ARS means the person wants a sportier car, so they must want the larger engine??? The 740Li Saved him 10k for equally equipped cars, and on a test drive the 740 felt just as powerful as his outgoing 750, and in many ways, a little more spirited. Throw in the fact that we could BOTH feel the extra weight on the 750, he said screw it, I will try it.....and the gas mileage has been a HUGE bonus. Almost 9-months later, we both love his car. Pretty much his 7-series and my ///M3 gives us both the best of both worlds (we live 15 min apart) and exhcange cards regularly. That N55 in that big car shouldn't work......but it does, and so well. You would never know when you drove the car there wasn't an 8 under the hood.

Now he is waiting for me to make my company car an ///M5......then forget it, he will be asking me to exchange every day

The 328i and 528i with the N20 are AWESOME cars....and more importantly, in many ways represent BMW's old philosophies more so than their more powerful brethren. More doesn't always mean better.....

Cheers,
e46e92
__________________

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.

Last edited by e46e92love; 02-17-2012 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #127
G328i
Access to any Bimmer
G328i's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i MSport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rockland NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
This kind of review reminds of why any type of 6-cylinder engine, inline or V, will provide the new ///M3 with many advantages over the current one (which I absolutely LOVE). Being able to get weight reduction up front while pushing it further back behind the front axle will provide a lot of benefits over a larger NA V-8. For sure I will miss the S65, but every day I come closer and closer to the side of the new ///M3 will be a magical car.

The argument of the 328i vs. 335i is similar to the argument of the 740 and 750 that C&D made and I can attest to it being SPOT ON......my father came from a 750Li and chose to go with the 740Li when his lease was up last summer. He had to order a 2012 because he wanted the ARS that many 740s that are on the lots seem to be missing, I guess because people assume ARS means the person wants a sportier car, so they must want the larger engine??? The 740Li Saved him 10k for equally equipped cars, and on a test drive the 740 felt just as powerful as his outgoing 750, and in many ways, a little more spirited. Throw in the fact that we could BOTH feel the extra weight on the 750, he said screw it, I will try it.....and the gas mileage has been a HUGE bonus. Almost 9-months later, we both love his car. Pretty much his 7-series and my ///M3 gives us both the best of both worlds (we live 15 min apart) and exhcange cards regularly. That N55 in that big car shouldn't work......but it does, and so well. You would never know when you drove the car there wasn't an 8 under the hood.

Now he is waiting for me to make my company car an ///M5......then forget it, he will be asking me to exchange every day

The 328i and 528i with the N20 are AWESOME cars....and more importantly, in many ways represent BMW old philosophies more so that their more powerful brethren. More doesn't always mean better.....

Cheers,
e46e92
great post
__________________
2015 MR 328i ZMP 6MT
2013 JB Z428si 6MT
2010 R56 Mini Cooper S
2008 BSM 328i ZSP 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #128
justinnum1
Major General
622
Rep
5,795
Posts

Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
This kind of review reminds of why any type of 6-cylinder engine, inline or V, will provide the new ///M3 with many advantages over the current one (which I absolutely LOVE). Being able to get weight reduction up front while pushing it further back behind the front axle will provide a lot of benefits over a larger NA V-8. For sure I will miss the S65, but every day I come closer and closer to the side of the new ///M3 will be a magical car.

The argument of the 328i vs. 335i is similar to the argument of the 740 and 750 that C&D made and I can attest to it being SPOT ON......my father came from a 750Li and chose to go with the 740Li when his lease was up last summer. He had to order a 2012 because he wanted the ARS that many 740s that are on the lots seem to be missing, I guess because people assume ARS means the person wants a sportier car, so they must want the larger engine??? The 740Li Saved him 10k for equally equipped cars, and on a test drive the 740 felt just as powerful as his outgoing 750, and in many ways, a little more spirited. Throw in the fact that we could BOTH feel the extra weight on the 750, he said screw it, I will try it.....and the gas mileage has been a HUGE bonus. Almost 9-months later, we both love his car. Pretty much his 7-series and my ///M3 gives us both the best of both worlds (we live 15 min apart) and exhcange cards regularly. That N55 in that big car shouldn't work......but it does, and so well. You would never know when you drove the car there wasn't an 8 under the hood.

Now he is waiting for me to make my company car an ///M5......then forget it, he will be asking me to exchange every day

The 328i and 528i with the N20 are AWESOME cars....and more importantly, in many ways represent BMW old philosophies more so that their more powerful brethren. More doesn't always mean better.....

Cheers,
e46e92
__________________
F30 330i Alpine white/Coral red Msport 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #129
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
Singletrack's Avatar
United_States
75
Rep
3,823
Posts

Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (3)

Looking forward to driving one of these...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #130
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
svache's Avatar
United_States
226
Rep
1,879
Posts

Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
In regards to the discussion what BMW is up to by making the 328i so good compared to the 335i, I read an article yesterday (forgot where exactly) which kind of said that it might be possible that they were pushing the 328i a lot harder because they want to have a bigger audience for the ActiveHybrid 3. They kind of speculated that it will be the future to have fuel efficient cars and that BMW wanted to be a big part in that, passing the Japanese competition.

I have no idea if it is likely, but I guess it is as good an explanation as any other. I guess, in the end, we'll have to find out what's really up.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #131
AlexM
First Lieutenant
AlexM's Avatar
Slovenia
25
Rep
322
Posts

Drives: F36 440i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Slovenia (EU)

iTrader: (0)


Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
...Now he is waiting for me to make my company car an ///M5...
F.ck me!!! awesome
__________________

F36 440i GC M Sport (LCI), Snapper Rocks Blue
F30 328i Sport/Melbourne Red/19"/8spd Sport //sold
E92 335i/Space Grey/Saddle/19"/6MT //sold
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #132
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
MKE_M3's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
1,705
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (0)

They'll probably come out with a higher perfuming "big" engine choice after the e9X m3 is discontinued. The N55 want really an improvement on the N54, so they are due. After that, should be no comparison between base and "big" engine.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2012 3 series review, 2012 3 series reviews, 2012 328i review, 2012 328i reviews, 2012 328i track video, 2012 f30 review, 2012 f30 reviews, 3 series f30, 3 series f30 forum, 3 series f30 review, 3 series f30 reviews, 3 series forum, 3 series reviews, 3-series review, 328i 0-60, 328i 0-60mph, 328i f30, 328i f30 review, 328i f30 video, 328i review, 328i reviews, bmw 3 series first drive, bmw 3 series forum, bmw 3-series f30, bmw 328i review, bmw 328i reviews, bmw f30, bmw f30 3 series forum, bmw f30 3 series review, bmw f30 3-series, bmw f30 forum, bmw f30 review, f30 0-60, f30 0-60mph, f30 3 series review, f30 3 series reviews, f30 3 series track video, f30 3-series, f30 3-series forum, f30 328i, f30 328i 0-60, f30 328i 0-60mph, f30 328i quarter mile, f30 328i review, f30 328i track video, f30 328i video, f30 forum, f30 forums, f30 review, f30 reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST