F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > 340i Vs 340i XDrive Differences?
ARMA SPEED

01-14-2016, 09:29 PM   #23
NOITALL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
To be honest, it's where you live, and how much snow/ice you're getting.

If you live in an area where you get destroyed by snow (50cm+, temps drop below -20) every winter, and ice, it would be ideal to get the xDrive model as you have full traction on the ground with winter tires (mandatory in Quebec) as they are completely different from all seasons in terms of grip and stopping distance.

Where I live, it's forecasted to go between -10C to -35C and snows about 15-20cm a week. RWD is just too unpractical and you will get stuck as the snowplows here can't keep up with the amount of snow that falls, not to mention I work at a storage building around a airfield where the track is full ice and snow (so much fun drifting hehe)

It's more or less people getting stuck in parking lots, or side streets. I never have that problem in the morning as I just easily roll out, so I'm usually never late for work unless people drive below the limit because of the snow.

If it didn't snow as much here, I would be driving a E92 M3 or a C63 AMG at this moment, but unfortunately, Canada is called the True North for a reason.
I have both AWD and RWD.

It gets colder here than where you live, and icy. I never got stuck.

You're missing out on your life if you think that you'd have problems with RWD and have to have a car that you don't truly want because of it. An M3 would actually be better than a regular RWD or some 4WD around...

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 09:41 PM   #24
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
This is exactly correct.

Xdrive BMWs:

1. Don't have sport suspension (though can have adaptive dampers)
2. Sit higher / ride more like a crossover SUV
3. Sound a little difference because of the extra transfercase
4. Have steering that is more numb and less communicative
5. Weigh more
6. Are more common, because they're easier to sell in the northern parts of the country (average car buyers are brain washed and believe AWD does more than it really does)
7. Are a little bit more practical

Most, but not all car enthusiasts who value the classic BMW driving dynamic more than absolute practicality opt for rwd models and/or snow tires. Personally, I am fine with all-seasons (Continental DWS).
To be honest, it's where you live, and how much snow/ice you're getting.

If you live in an area where you get destroyed by snow (50cm+, temps drop below -20) every winter, and ice, it would be ideal to get the xDrive model as you have full traction on the ground with winter tires (mandatory in Quebec) as they are completely different from all seasons in terms of grip and stopping distance.

Where I live, it's forecasted to go between -10C to -35C and snows about 15-20cm a week. RWD is just too unpractical and you will get stuck as the snowplows here can't keep up with the amount of snow that falls, not to mention I work at a storage building around a airfield where the track is full ice and snow (so much fun drifting hehe)

It's more or less people getting stuck in parking lots, or side streets. I never have that problem in the morning as I just easily roll out, so I'm usually never late for work unless people drive below the limit because of the snow.

If it didn't snow as much here, I would be driving a E92 M3 or a C63 AMG at this moment, but unfortunately, Canada is called the True North for a reason.
I can totally understand xdrive in Canada. In urban/suburban PA where everything is salted and plowed quickly, it makes sense, but it's far from necessary. I'm just bitter because you can't find RWD BMWs on dealer lots, and it's a shame because they are quite different. A 335 xdrive 6mt is still a sweet car.
      01-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #25
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
I can totally understand xdrive in Canada. In urban/suburban PA where everything is salted and plowed quickly, it makes sense, but it's far from necessary. I'm just bitter because you can't find RWD BMWs on dealer lots, and it's a shame because they are quite different. A 335 xdrive 6mt is still a sweet car.
I feel your pain, I have a couple friends who are looking for a RWD EBII 335i 6MT (Lol, I made them want to get one after riding in my 335i) and they haven't been able to find one, or the car has too high mileage.

If it didn't snow as much here (Less than 20cm a winter) then I would have probably special ordered a RWD, or gotten one of the cars mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm wrong View Post
I have both AWD and RWD.

It gets colder here than where you live, and icy. I never got stuck.

You're missing out on your life if you think that you'd have problems with RWD and have to have a car that you don't truly want because of it. An M3 would actually be better than a regular RWD or some 4WD around...

Cheers
I'm not missing anything, I've seen people run M3s and C63s on the road and they get stuck all the time, especially in a parking lot, they needed to be either flatbedded or towed out.

I've also seen a C63 plow front bumper first into a bridge wall as he was accelerating from a light.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 12:19 AM   #26
PBureno
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'm thinking if x-drive is needed in the suburbs of Vancouver(In the higher elevated areas and not in the city) or would I be fine with RWD + snowies. Hmm..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 06:29 AM   #27
NOITALL
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
I feel your pain, I have a couple friends who are looking for a RWD EBII 335i 6MT (Lol, I made them want to get one after riding in my 335i) and they haven't been able to find one, or the car has too high mileage.

If it didn't snow as much here (Less than 20cm a winter) then I would have probably special ordered a RWD, or gotten one of the cars mentioned.

I'm not missing anything, I've seen people run M3s and C63s on the road and they get stuck all the time, especially in a parking lot, they needed to be either flatbedded or towed out.

I've also seen a C63 plow front bumper first into a bridge wall as he was accelerating from a light.
Doesn't mean much as my wife was not able to leave the parking pad the other day and had to call me for rescue (I was already on the move with my RWD, she was on the X3).

I can send you thousands of pictures that I took myself of several Mazda CX-5 "parked" on a sidewalk stopped by a hydrant, trucks, Hummers in ditches...

I'll just leave this here just in case: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1210663

Again, I never got stuck and never hit anything. I daily drive, ESPECIALLY when there's a storm (I like driving so much I just take my car out when I see inclement weather, even on a Sunday night).

cheers

Last edited by NOITALL; 01-15-2016 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 06:30 AM   #28
NOITALL
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBureno View Post
I'm thinking if x-drive is needed in the suburbs of Vancouver(In the higher elevated areas and not in the city) or would I be fine with RWD + snowies. Hmm..
I'm biased...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #29
Evangelo2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 m sport Coupe 6-speed

All this was helpful and confirmed what I thought was the case guys, thanks!

I think I will end up going 340i RWD 6MT. Ill buy some winter shoes for her and am considering the M Perf LSD installed at port...

-Evangelo2
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #30
radm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT ordered, AR 4C Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post
All this was helpful and confirmed what I thought was the case guys, thanks!

I think I will end up going 340i RWD 6MT. Ill buy some winter shoes for her and am considering the M Perf LSD installed at port...

-Evangelo2
I would get the LSD, it will double the power delivery and then you will be fine with snows. I wish they didn't force non-awd cars to have chains here in CA when you go to the mountains. Then I would have done RWD with LSD myself, too.

That said, I have my car longer now and I actually enjoy being able to power through the corners just at the limit of traction or beyond just before the nanny kicks in. It almost feels like the nanny's are letting me slowly do more and more over time. It also feels to me that I could go faster through the corners I know well than in my E92. Hmm, maybe it is just a feeling since the car is bigger or the suspension was too jittery in E92? I have the adaptive suspension in sport.

Last edited by radm; 01-15-2016 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 01:16 PM   #31
NOITALL
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radm View Post
I would get the LSD, it will double the power delivery and then you will be fine with snows. I wish they didn't force non-awd cars to have chains here in CA when you go to the mountains. Then I would do RWD with LSD myself, too.
This.

LSD will be great.
I don't have an LSD so my car is a 1-wheel drive in the winter... LOL. 2-wheel drive will be much better.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 03:16 PM   #32
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBureno View Post
For the 0 to 5 days that we get snow here in Vancouver you will be fine with rear wheel drive and good snow tires unless you have to drive up extremely steep unplowed roads. The last time we had snowfall on the ground in Vancouver that was more than 4" was 7 years ago and as you know this year so far we have haven't had snow on the roads more than 1/2" deep. The forecast for the next 2 weeks..........more rain
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #33
strumbringer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radm View Post
I would get the LSD, it will double the power delivery and then you will be fine with snows. I wish they didn't force non-awd cars to have chains here in CA when you go to the mountains. Then I would have done RWD with LSD myself, too.

That said, I have my car longer now and I actually enjoy being able to power through the corners just at the limit of traction or beyond just before the nanny kicks in. It almost feels like the nanny's are letting me slowly do more and more over time. It also feels to me that I could go faster through the corners I know well than in my E92. Hmm, maybe it is just a feeling since the car is bigger or the suspension was too jittery in E92? I have the adaptive suspension in sport.
This is a really interesting observation. My experience was similar but more surprising (to me): I test drove an M3 and a 340i xDrive with the Track Package back to back and I felt like I was better able to manage traction in the 340 than the M3, and in the conditions that day (cool, rainy), the 340i was able to handle turns at a higher speed. Both cars had summer tires.
Appreciate 0