F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > 56 degrees of dry
Extreme Powerhouse

07-09-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
agentorange
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

56 degrees of dry

If there is something I don't miss about the UK, it's the humidity when it gets hot. Watching the UK news the last few years and it is evident that it is a hotter place than when I left over 20 years ago. I can only guess what it is like when it is 30C with 70% humidity for a few days with no A/C.

Here in Vegas we've had the opposite problem just lately. Today we hit 41C with 2% humidity and a gusty wind up to 35 mph. It's like being assaulted by an industrial strength blow drier. Your corneas shrivel as you step outside, your skin gets prickly after five minutes and everything in the house is charged to 30 kV with static electricity.

We already have "degrees of frost" or how many degrees below 0C, so I've decided to invent a new term, degrees of dry. It is the difference between the temperature and the dew point. Today, the dew point was -15C, giving us 56 degrees of dry. Yeah, I know, we already have relative humidity, but small numbers don't convey the horror of this level of dry.

Off upstairs to see if my eyes will release my contacts, or are they now integrated into my corneas.

Last edited by agentorange; 07-09-2020 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
mcoops1504.00
      07-10-2020, 12:58 AM   #2
JustChris
General
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: Car

Definitely hitting up here and bring it on. Finally a bonus of global warming will be our Spain like climate. Spain sadly will become the new Sahara and we will make a fortune shipping water across Europe. Maybe.

Vegas is different gravy though. 19 years ago now on our honeymoon I still recall how searing that 41C felt!

Good luck with the contacts.
      07-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d MSport+

I'm supposed to be in Vegas middle of Sept. what's it looking like over there with the virus situation?
      07-10-2020, 01:31 PM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

That's what you get for living in a desert!

I've heard Vegas is going to be in serious trouble regarding water in the near future, quite a problem to solve apparently?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 01:47 PM   #5
JustChris
General
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post

I've heard Vegas is going to be in serious trouble regarding water in the near future, quite a problem to solve apparently?
https://www.waterworld.com/drinking-...h-water-supply

Reckon you and the Mrs should get out there Teaston for a long weekend with the stamp duty money saved
      07-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
https://www.waterworld.com/drinking-...h-water-supply

Reckon you and the Mrs should get out there Teaston for a long weekend with the stamp duty money saved
Been to Vegas, only thing worth doing there is the Cirque Du Soleil shows, and it looks like they won’t be around anymore!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
agentorange
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dMSport+ View Post
I'm supposed to be in Vegas middle of Sept. what's it looking like over there with the virus situation?
Piss poor right now. Infections and hospitalizations are up so the governor ordered Vegas and Reno back to Stage 2 and closed the bars. Even the big airbase here has wound back its COVID recovery plans.

https://news3lv.com/news/local/today...nevada-capitol

https://news3lv.com/news/local/nelli...onavirus-cases
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:43 PM   #8
agentorange
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

Vegas is different gravy though. 19 years ago now on our honeymoon I still recall how searing that 41C felt!

Good luck with the contacts.
Got the contacts out.

One of the weather girls is predicting 45C on Sunday...

That's 113F for the metrically challenged.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #9
agentorange
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It's not just Vegas. All eyes of the Colorado fed water suppliers are on the level of Lake Mead. If the Western drought continues and the water level there falls below a certain value, then there is a chance that the US Department of the Interior will step in and tell all the states on the Colorado to drastically cut extraction. Nevada is actually running a good bit short of out current allocation, so it might not impact us too badly except for blunting housing growth. Arizona and especially California are the states that will scream blue murder.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 07:59 AM   #10
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Quote:

It's not just Vegas. All eyes of the Colorado fed water suppliers are on the level of Lake Mead. If the Western drought continues and the water level there falls below a certain value, then there is a chance that the US Department of the Interior will step in and tell all the states on the Colorado to drastically cut extraction. Nevada is actually running a good bit short of out current allocation, so it might not impact us too badly except for blunting housing growth. Arizona and especially California are the states that will scream blue murder.
It has always struck me as rather strange building a city in the middle of the desert which is dependent on one major water source, the Colorado.

I was reading the other day that Texas is predicted to turn to desert and become uninhabitable by the end of the century if global warming continues as is.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2020, 08:25 AM   #11
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Quote:
Quote:

It has always struck me as rather strange building a city in the middle of the desert which is dependent on one major water source, the Colorado.

I was reading the other day that Texas is predicted to turn to desert and become inhabitable by the end of the century if global warming continues as is.
Become inhabitable? Not a fan of the current Texans then?

(Yes, I knew what you really meant)

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 09:19 AM   #12
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was reading the other day that Texas is predicted to turn to desert and become inhabitable by the end of the century if global warming continues as is.
Become inhabitable? Not a fan of the current Texans then?

(Yes, I knew what you really meant)
Oops!
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2020, 11:36 PM   #13
agentorange
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The original purpose of Las Vegas was a watering hole, first for the Native Americans and then on the Spanish Trail. Las Vegas means "The Meadows" in Spanish, and there was indeed a spring fed by an aquifer that had a riparian habitat around it. Then the railways came, and steam trains need water, so Vegas was put on the route.

The city's growth really took off after the legalization of gambling, and eventually the aquifer that fed the spring began to fail. Lucky for Vegas the Hoover dam had been built, so the city could then tap into the Colorado. Sadly, it's been growth upon more growth sold on the lie that growth pays for itself. In the 20+ years I've lived here, the city has outgrown its utility. Mind you, old hands said the same to me when I arrived.
Appreciate 1