F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Project M340i (Photos inside)
Extreme Powerhouse

08-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
tobefair-idontcare
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Project M340i (Photos inside)

Thought some of you might like to see the project I’ve been working on. Going for something a little original, but nothing too crazy. I wanted to make a fictional version of my 340i. I know in a few years this model is coming out just like the M135i, M140i, M235i, M240i and M550i. I went to IND to help me get the right lettering to go with the car. It’s high gloss black M3 lettering with the “40i” from the X3 40i. Anyways, the plan is to design an interior like the stock M3 and exterior like a “m340i” would come like from the factory if they had made one. Nothing fancy.

Up next is a carbon spoiler and Stage 2 Tune from Mission Performance.
Attached Images

08-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Whyyyyyyyy. The M340 is literally coming out in 19', this just makes you look like a poser. You have a nice car, don't do it a disservice. (My opinion)
K737.50
Insane435476.50
IK6SPEED4481.50
      08-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
GMV Auto
Banned
Rep
Drives: G80 CompXdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
Whyyyyyyyy. The M340 is literally coming out in 19', this just makes you look like a poser. You have a nice car, don't do it a disservice. (My opinion)
👆
This
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
tobefair-idontcare
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I’m not concerned with how others view me through my car. I have a nice car that I like working on. People for decades have taken cars and changed them into different models. These models already exist in every other bmw series platform. Also, would I care about being a poser? Anyways, you’re entitled to your opinion. Thanks for taking a look.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

are you looking for opinions and input (like you are in another post regarding a rear spoiler) or are you just sharing pics today with this post?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
tobefair-idontcare
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I was going for both. You can share opinions even if you don’t like what I’m doing.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #7
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobefair-idontcare View Post
I was going for both. You can share opinions even if you don’t like what I’m doing.
are you a big carbon fan or is gloss black an option for you? I fully understand your MPPSK will remain carbon
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #8
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

My opinion

Continuity is king and less is more – I don’t personally think you can pull off a more aggrieve CS lip spoiler unless the rest of the car follows suit (and that includes wheels). Especially with a lighter colored car I think dark accents (whether they be gloss black or carbon) need to be consistent around the car (diffuse, blades?, front lip, rear lip, roof?) otherwise you end up with a bit of a hodgepodge look. Kinda like you have to go all in or not at all – I’m big fan of gloss black because it’s easier to execute and I simply like it better than carbon – but I’m older than you (trust me I am) – so maybe carbon is your thing.

That’s my 2-cents – as for your badging – not for me (I don’t like the font) – but so what – I get what you are trying to accomplish, and I applaud you for the effort.

Sh*t we wouldn’t get anything done around here or anywhere else for that matter if we needed consensus to move forward.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #9
tobefair-idontcare
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
My opinion

Continuity is king and less is more – I don’t personally think you can pull off a more aggrieve CS lip spoiler unless the rest of the car follows suit (and that includes wheels). Especially with a lighter colored car I think dark accents (whether they be gloss black or carbon) need to be consistent around the car (diffuse, blades?, front lip, rear lip, roof?) otherwise you end up with a bit of a hodgepodge look. Kinda like you have to go all in or not at all – I’m big fan of gloss black because it’s easier to execute and I simply like it better than carbon – but I’m older than you (trust me I am) – so maybe carbon is your thing.

That’s my 2-cents – as for your badging – not for me (I don’t like the font) – but so what – I get what you are trying to accomplish, and I applaud you for the effort.

Sh*t we wouldn’t get anything done around here or anywhere else for that matter if we needed consensus to move forward.
Thanks, man. Yeah, I am probably just going with an OEM M3 Carbon spoiler. I went to my local BMW dealership and there staff have a ton of 3 series and M3s and they all look great with the OEM carbon spoiler. They all have gloss black rear lettering too and it goes really well together.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #10
x328x
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

Quote:
I’m not concerned with how others view me through my car. I have a nice car that I like working on. People for decades have taken cars and changed them into different models. These models already exist in every other bmw series platform. Also, would I care about being a poser? Anyways, you’re entitled to your opinion. Thanks for taking a look.
Dont agree with messing with the model name. Why dont you put a m3 badge on.

may i ask why you want to make it a M340i. its got no no function. it doesnt make it look any better. so why?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 10:00 PM   #11
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

IND should be shot for aiding and abetting on this
its not a G20 so its a fake
there will be an M340i coming but your misrepresenting yours as a legit M340i
not only that
you are making all our 340s looks bad
cause you are saying our 340s cant stand on their own merit and need some stupid "M" in front of it
Appreciate 2
IK6SPEED4481.50
mbanks211266.00
      08-17-2018, 07:31 AM   #12
tobefair-idontcare
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
IND should be shot for aiding and abetting on this
its not a G20 so its a fake
there will be an M340i coming but your misrepresenting yours as a legit M340i
not only that
you are making all our 340s looks bad
cause you are saying our 340s cant stand on their own merit and need some stupid "M" in front of it
Cool.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 12:22 AM   #13
DonVito
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport

You're not working on your car. You're just slapping an M badge on it for no reason. What is with people and their obsession with the M badge? Either you have it from the factory or you don't.
Appreciate 3
      08-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #14
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

Might aswell remove the 40i.
Appreciate 2
Insane435476.50
wdeerfield2743.50
      08-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #15
jlorenzo125
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sportline

At least get wheels with the m sticker on it...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #16
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Excellent use of $170. I know in some countries the M3 costs like $300k or something but here, one could buy a lightly used one for the same price as a 340i nay pardon a ///M340i.

And congratulations you've made in on this thread:
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23615155
Appreciate 1
DonVito16.50
      08-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #17
tobefair-idontcare
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a group of grown adults act like such snobs in my entire life. Opinions are one thing, but to use this platform to try ridicule others for a material possession, that I don’t need to justify to anyone, is insane. Do guys don’t think I care do you? Is that what you guys do? Judge people’s cars because they put an “M” on it? People have been modding cars since the beginning of cars. People turned old three series into M3s for years, old v6 camaros into Z28s and so on. I’ve been on corvette forums for years and no acts like this. No one on this thread is cool for “speaking out” about the guy who made a fictional vehicle because he added a letter to his car. You guys are so cool. Carry on!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #18
jlorenzo125
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sportline

Quote:
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a group of grown adults act like such snobs in my entire life. Opinions are one thing, but to use this platform to try ridicule others for a material possession, that I don’t need to justify to anyone, is insane. Do guys don’t think I care do you? Is that what you guys do? Judge people’s cars because they put an “M” on it? People have been modding cars since the beginning of cars. People turned old three series into M3s for years, old v6 camaros into Z28s and so on. I’ve been on corvette forums for years and no acts like this. No one on this thread is cool for “speaking out” about the guy who made a fictional vehicle because he added a letter to his car. You guys are so cool. Carry on!
It's an open forum. Just like u can post anything ud like, anyone can respond as they see fit. You even said so, - - - >"I was going for both. You can share opinions even if you don’t like what I’m doing."<- - - Welcome to the internet.

Last edited by jlorenzo125; 08-20-2018 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #19
x328x
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

Quote:
you are right. you shouldn't be ridiculed. Apoligies

BUT its not about being a snob. just because "People" do it doesn't make it right

I have a 328i and wish i had a 340i, but just because i put a 340i badge there doesnt make my car any more special or 340i like.

people rebadge their cars to be posers and make them look better in the eyes of other people

If you are not doing it for others (like you state) and you are doing it for yourself, then my question is can you easily fool yourself like that. what do you see, or feel when you look at that? I dont get it

rather than making up a model name or trying to be another model, take off the 340i and just keep the M. I dont condone it but definitely better than being something that its not

At the end of the day that is just my opinion and obviously its your car and you can do what you want. Each to there own. I am sure you will have some nice mods planned for this anyway which you will get a lot of positive feedback
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #20
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

Clean looking work, I also have a 17 ZTR with MPPSK.
It's your car, do whatever makes you happy.

Quote:
Thought some of you might like to see the project I’ve been working on. Going for something a little original, but nothing too crazy. I wanted to make a fictional version of my 340i. I know in a few years this model is coming out just like the M135i, M140i, M235i, M240i and M550i. I went to IND to help me get the right lettering to go with the car. It’s high gloss black M3 lettering with the “40i” from the X3 40i. Anyways, the plan is to design an interior like the stock M3 and exterior like a “m340i” would come like from the factory if they had made one. Nothing fancy.

Up next is a carbon spoiler and Stage 2 Tune from Mission Performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #21
DonVito
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
That's because Corvette guys know better than to badge a non-Z0X car as a Z0X car. If someone did that and posted it on the 'Vette board, I guarantee you they'd be ripped to shreds.

Why are you bent out of shape if you don't care what people think? Better question, why did you post this if you don't care what people think?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #22
tpliquid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 330i wagon

i think the badge is too big. They dont make smaller badges? All the "MXXXi" badges on sedans are smaller in size.
Appreciate 0