F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M4 vs 435i
Studio RSR

08-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #45
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Good point, up to a point. The M4 is indeed great for track and a fun drive, but as a smoother DD with power it aint. IMHO it boils down to feel and performance, and what overall experience you want from your car. i totally get thew whole M thing, yet a loud high-ish strung car is not always what someone is seeking. BMW's M4 steering 'feel' was the HUGE deal breaker for me. Could simply not get past how badly it 'felt' at providing proper driver feedback.

But hey, the great news is that we have soooo many choices. What you prefer may be different than what another driver does. So it's great BMW has so many choices on offer, as do aftermarket tuners and their products.

Enjoy the M4, she is a great performance car by the numbers for a BMW car.
Indeed, it's all about what you are looking for in a car. The lack of steering feedback isn't just exclusive to the new M models, but rather BMW's in general in the current gen.

The M will be a little harsher for a daily, sure...but that's kind of the beauty of the M as having the capability to be a comfortable daily driver while also being able to fill a dual purpose as a weekend track car as well.

Honestly I find the M very comfortable as a daily with a proper setting. That's the thing, there are tons of ways to adjust the feel/drive of the car and you can make it as comfortable or as smooth of a ride as you want, or sporty as you want with full traction off and sport+ with D3 settings. Comp pack makes it even more refined and what I feel is a perfect balance to the car.

At the end of the day you have options and choices always, and it's a good thing. Not everyone will see the value in the M or the experience. But if you are one to tune/mod, and value performance...the //M will always be the better platform as it just has that much more potential as well as being a better basis to start with.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #46
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

I had a 2016 M4, then after a brief stint with Audi, I'm back with a 2019 440i Gran Coupe with M Sport. I can't believe how much better the steering feel is in the 440i versus my old M4. BMW fixed this somehow. Chassis feels very sorted and much less jarring than M4. Transmission does not have the urgency of the DCT but other things like creep mode are much easier to live with. As a street car, I could not be happier.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #47
oregondonor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spain_MSport View Post
...and I love my 435i M Sport... but secretly I think I would prefer an M4

My 435i is the top one in each photo. They are great cars!
What color is this? I've started another M vs non M and stumbled on this thread. Lot's of good stuff here. I would settle for the 435... the combo is perfect!
2016 435i MSport ZHP #85

Last edited by oregondonor; 02-12-2019 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 12:00 AM   #48
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blschaefer1 View Post
I had a 2016 M4, then after a brief stint with Audi, I'm back with a 2019 440i Gran Coupe with M Sport. I can't believe how much better the steering feel is in the 440i versus my old M4. BMW fixed this somehow. Chassis feels very sorted and much less jarring than M4. Transmission does not have the urgency of the DCT but other things like creep mode are much easier to live with. As a street car, I could not be happier.
BMW dropped the ball on my old 2016 M3 and your 2016 M3. Sport + steering mode was way too stiff and therefore numb. Numerous HPDE instructors including 2 M Schools and several track days cant be wrong: comfort mode is the way to go. It's got the most feedback and the best to manipulate steering angle. It was much better than my 340i. The only way you can tell me that the 440i had better steering feel is if the car as significantly heavier than a 340i or M car. Or maybe you are comparing it with Sport + steering, which isn't nearly as artificial in the 440i simply because they didn't add as much stiffness (which adds that artificial feeling)

Now with the M3 CS I can tell that something has changed since. Sport + isn't as numb as it used to be. I'm still breaking the car in, then it will hit the track to see if comfort mode is still king.

Back to the topic at hand, I've now owned 2 F30's and 2 F80's. I can't say if the F8X is for everyone, but I know when I look at a nice 340i or 440i driving down the road, I can admire it, but I have yet to regret moving to a M car.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0