F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Autowatch Ghost
ARMA SPEED

07-29-2018, 04:24 AM   #67
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I'm mulling over additional security for my new car, and quite keen on the Ghost system. I'm reading that it now has additional functionality where an app on your phone that is paired with it can be used instead of PIN entry.

Has anyone got this part of the system and care to share how they find it?

I'm in the camp that would like to add a little extra protection over standard, and i'd rather something like this which should stop it happening, rather than a tracker. Recovering the car once it's gone, when you've got insurance and a gap policy doesn't make that much sense when it costs a fair bit, plus a subscription.
Tengo the BT feature is bs. It uses low energy and is vulnerable to attack:

https://thehackernews.com/2018/07/bl...erability.html

You don't need the app to hack it. In layman's terms a roll jam or 'man in the middle' attack could be implemented.

Atop that it could be exploited while the car is powering down. Unless it is permanently in low energy state in which case a proximity attack is always possible.

By making their product more convenient they have actually made it worse. If you can get one without BT then do it.
Appreciate 2
      07-29-2018, 05:28 AM   #68
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBitz View Post
Quote:
I'm mulling over additional security for my new car, and quite keen on the Ghost system. I'm reading that it now has additional functionality where an app on your phone that is paired with it can be used instead of PIN entry.

I'm in the camp that would like to add a little extra protection over standard, and i'd rather something like this which should stop it happening, rather than a tracker. Recovering the car once it's gone, when you've got insurance and a gap policy doesn't make that much sense when it costs a fair bit, plus a subscription.
I did have the secure Bluetooth on when I first had it installed but later deleted the app.

Mark from SAS who installed the ghost advised not to use the Bluetooth. If the phone is close enough to the car and you forget to close the app the car will start up and drive normally.
This. It's the exact reason I didn't my use the App and BT.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2018, 05:46 AM   #69
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Terry - just use a PIN. It takes a second or two and becomes human nature as part of the start-up routine.

You can have the Ghost set to allow the engine to be started without the PIN and the car will shut down if the transmission is put into D. Good for cold mornings if you want to warm the engine with the car locked.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 05:47 AM   #70
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Agree with what's been said .. don't use the App.. get the ghost installed with the button pin only as it's the most secure.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 05:55 AM   #71
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Terry - just use a PIN. It takes a second or two and becomes human nature as part of the start-up routine.

You can have the Ghost set to allow the engine to be started without the PIN and the car will shut down if the transmission is put into D. Good for cold mornings if you want to warm the engine with the car locked.
The only downside I can see to having it set that way is if the thieves break into your house to steal the keys while your sleeping they are more likely to work out it's a ghost installed when the engine keeps shutting down every time they put it in gear and come back in and wake you for the code. If the car just won't start at all it's a lot more believable that there's just a fault/problem with the car starting

Last edited by Hooded; 07-29-2018 at 06:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00
      07-29-2018, 06:35 AM   #72
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Quote:

The only downside I can see to having it set that way is if the thieves break into your house to steal the keys while your sleeping they are more likely to work out it's a ghost installed when the engine keeps shutting down every time they put it in gear and come back in and wake you for the code. If the car just won't start at all it's a lot more believable that there's just a fault/problem with the car starting
I think we're into the realm of the extremely unlikely.

The engine can only be started once without the PIN. Engaging D without the PIN causes the Ghost to send a signal to the ECU that the cat has been in a serious collision and to shut down the vehicle systems as a safety precaution.

The engine cannot be restarted until the PIN has been entered.

On the basis that my house is fully alarmed I think it's almost impossible that the keys could be stolen in the first place while I was asleep. If the car was already running in the drive, I'm already awake.
Appreciate 1
Hooded1669.00
      07-29-2018, 07:45 AM   #73
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:

The engine can only be started once without the PIN. Engaging D without the PIN causes the Ghost to send a signal to the ECU that the cat has been in a serious collision and to shut down the vehicle systems as a safety precaution.

On the basis that my house is fully alarmed I think it's almost impossible that the keys could be stolen in the first place while I was asleep. If the car was already running in the drive, I'm already awake.
Ahh, that's better then .. I was assuming the engine would cut out every time the car was put into gear making it too obvious there's something like the ghost installed.

I meant in general with regard to them coming back into the house, not your own personal circumstances
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #74
Hugrov
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI

Quote:

I've got the Ghost fitted and had it on my previous F30 too, I've got no complaints whatsoever about the system and it has performed faultlessly on both cars. There are those for whom GAP is the (only) answer, this is the reason I have always disagreed with that train of thought:

I highly doubt that this car is going to be written off. Instead, it's going to be recovered, forensically tested for who knows how long, assessed by the insurance company and in all likelihood deemed economically repairable (as most of the parts appeared to be with the car in the lock-up still), repaired and finally returned to the owner............to be swiftly sold or part exchanged by said owner (at his/her own considerable cost) because his pride and joy has been driven by some scrote who's possibly/probably driven it hard then taken a shit on the front seat for good measure

This is why I'd rather prevent the car going in the first place and things like Ghost go a long way to helping with that aim, GAP is gonna be no use to you whatsoever when the car gets recovered and returned.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #75
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How do BMW take to a stored code -serious collision disabled function? It must surely log a code as serious as that?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #76
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugrov View Post
I've got the Ghost fitted and had it on my previous F30 too, I've got no complaints whatsoever about the system and it has performed faultlessly on both cars. There are those for whom GAP is the (only) answer, this is the reason I have always disagreed with that train of thought:

I highly doubt that this car is going to be written off. Instead, it's going to be recovered, forensically tested for who knows how long, assessed by the insurance company and in all likelihood deemed economically repairable (as most of the parts appeared to be with the car in the lock-up still), repaired and finally returned to the owner............to be swiftly sold or part exchanged by said owner (at his/her own considerable cost) because his pride and joy has been driven by some scrote who's possibly/probably driven it hard then taken a shit on the front seat for good measure

This is why I'd rather prevent the car going in the first place and things like Ghost go a long way to helping with that aim, GAP is gonna be no use to you whatsoever when the car gets recovered and returned.
Actually the car is being written off. BMW apparently offered to re-assemble the car for free!? .. but the recovery people lost some of the car parts so the owner is getting paid out by the insurance instead.

I'm with you though .. while gap is good to have and I've taken it out myself, I would prefer not to have my car taken at all, so the ghost is about the best option.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #77
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Yes agree with that thinking, in that I'd rather prevent it being taken in the first place, than try to recover once it's gone. The ghost install is not too expensive, and no ongoing costs like a good tracker.

I've got GAP, and that's there for peace of mind for much more than theft. You could easily be involved in an expensive collision for example.

Current insurer hasn't mentioned needing a tracker, so I'm fairly settled on going for the Ghost system.

Next job is to think about dashcams!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #78
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes agree with that thinking, in that I'd rather prevent it being taken in the first place, than try to recover once it's gone. The ghost install is not too expensive, and no ongoing costs like a good tracker.

I've got GAP, and that's there for peace of mind for much more than theft. You could easily be involved in an expensive collision for example.

Current insurer hasn't mentioned needing a tracker, so I'm fairly settled on going for the Ghost system.

Easy one that. Thinkware F800 Pro.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #79
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg_Capt_R View Post
Quote:

Really? User reviews on Amazon seemed to give it a bit of a pasting.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #80
Hugrov
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Actually the car is being written off. BMW apparently offered to re-assemble the car for free!? .. but the recovery people lost some of the car parts so the owner is getting paid out by the insurance instead.

I'm with you though .. while gap is good to have and I've taken it out myself, I would prefer not to have my car taken at all, so the ghost is about the best option.
lol, I wonder how much the owner had to pay the recovery company to "lose" some of the more expensive parts in order to get a pay out.........seems decidedly iffy!!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #81
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
How do BMW take to a stored code -serious collision disabled function? It must surely log a code as serious as that?
Good question, and I don't know the answer !

I occasionally forget the PIN before selecting D and the engine cuts out, as it should. Enter the PIN and the car can be started. As the Ghost is on the CAN bus it is interacting with the ECU, and the engine can be started after the PIN has been entered, - perhaps the code received by the ECU is temporary.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #82
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol, I wonder how much the owner had to pay the recovery company to "lose" some of the more expensive parts in order to get a pay out.........seems decidedly iffy!!
I might know the owner, if it is the same car. The car and all the bits were moved at least two times by the police. During that process, good parts were damaged as they were 'stuffed' into the car, whilst other parts were not picked up. When the owner finally saw the car after the authorities and authorities nominated storage yard were finished with it, the car was in much worse condition than when they found it. It was even left out in the rain with no doors, bootlid, etc, which wrote off what was left of the interior. Disgraceful conduct, but hey it's a stolen car so they treat it like the typical 10 year old Corsa theft.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 11:20 PM   #83
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg_Capt_R View Post
Quote:

Really? User reviews on Amazon seemed to give it a bit of a pasting.
It's not much of an upgrade to the F770 but more of an enhancement. It has a slightly better camera and cloud recording. Otherwise pretty much the same internals as the F770. The F770 has come down in price massively so I bought one.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 11:52 PM   #84
Hugrov
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I might know the owner, if it is the same car. The car and all the bits were moved at least two times by the police. During that process, good parts were damaged as they were 'stuffed' into the car, whilst other parts were not picked up. When the owner finally saw the car after the authorities and authorities nominated storage yard were finished with it, the car was in much worse condition than when they found it. It was even left out in the rain with no doors, bootlid, etc, which wrote off what was left of the interior. Disgraceful conduct, but hey it's a stolen car so they treat it like the typical 10 year old Corsa theft.
Disgraceful conduct indeed, you'd think they would act with a little more professionalism wouldn't you. Good news for the owner in the long run I suppose but I can't help thinking that it's exactly that type of fuckwittedness on the part of the recovery "specialists" that will ultimately lead to increased premiums for us all as the costs are passed on
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 02:40 AM   #85
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Disgraceful conduct indeed, you'd think they would act with a little more professionalism wouldn't you. Good news for the owner in the long run I suppose but I can't help thinking that it's exactly that type of fuckwittedness on the part of the recovery "specialists" that will ultimately lead to increased premiums for us all as the costs are passed on
The owner saw the car in the location it was being stripped in. He said although the thieves had taken lots off it already, he was hopeful to get it back as the parts had been carefully handled at that stage.

I guess 'recovery' have only one method that they use, and it isn't suitable for a car that could be resurrected. I.e. low loader and we'll stuff the loose parts into the interior for transport.

Car was stolen via comfort access by the way, which could make a difference in how the car is processed. As they don't have the keys, the park it up and come back for it method is not an option. They drive them straight to a lock up with possibly a BMW tracking disablement en route.

Good advert for the tracking device, as the thieves had tracker detection gear. Apparently, the tracker wakes up and pings then goes to sleep, so almost impossible to detect as it is not giving off signals constantly. It also has its own power source. Once the company know it has been stolen, they can escalate the pings frequency remotely and turn on RF. Clever stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 04:00 AM   #86
Hugrov
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The owner saw the car in the location it was being stripped in. He said although the thieves had taken lots off it already, he was hopeful to get it back as the parts had been carefully handled at that stage.

I guess 'recovery' have only one method that they use, and it isn't suitable for a car that could be resurrected. I.e. low loader and we'll stuff the loose parts into the interior for transport.

Car was stolen via comfort access by the way, which could make a difference in how the car is processed. As they don't have the keys, the park it up and come back for it method is not an option. They drive them straight to a lock up with possibly a BMW tracking disablement en route.

Good advert for the tracking device, as the thieves had tracker detection gear. Apparently, the tracker wakes up and pings then goes to sleep, so almost impossible to detect as it is not giving off signals constantly. It also has its own power source. Once the company know it has been stolen, they can escalate the pings frequency remotely and turn on RF. Clever stuff.
Yes that particular tracking company seems to get some good recovery results, I was looking at one of their battery operated trackers which had a battery life in excess of 12-months, I like the idea of being able to really tuck it somewhere out of the way without any tell tale wiring leading a thief to it's hiding place. The question for me is just how far do you go to protect your car, I've already got Ghost, use a Stoplok Pro and hide my keys away in a metal box............the next step for me is probably to disable CA but I do like the convenience of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 06:31 AM   #87
richardhurst
Private
Rep
Drives: April '10 525DSE

I've heard you can also get the Ghost fitted if you have a key start car as well, not just push start ones
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #88
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 340i W/MPPSK

Been considering this for a while.
Anyone been able to find a good installed for less than the standard £399?
Any group buy's maybe?
Appreciate 0