F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > K&N Air Filter Opinions
proTUNING Freaks

08-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #67
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34dean View Post
From everything I have read and researched, a $49 investment in this seems like a decent one. I'm moving forward.
I just wonder where you read THAT
I think you read what you wanted to read on first place... not what is written all over this thread (waste of money).
      08-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #68
DonVito
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
For the record... I absolutely NEVER said that a drop in filter will provide a noticeable increase in power. Neither will an aftermarket intake system (on our cars anyway). The reason I chose a K&N is because it FLOWS better than paper. This is one hundred percent proven. As a DEFAULT... there is a cost savings over the life of the vehicle.

Also - there are proven oil sampling tests that PROVE that they oil is no dirtier when using this filter as opposed to a paper filter. The oil acts as a tacking agent and actually helps the filter catch MORE dirt than a dry aftermarket filter.

Its amazing how ignorant people will twist and turn statements to fit what they want to hear. Like everyone harping on the cost savings point.... YES - I will save approximately $500 over the life of my vehicle but this is not the primary reason that I decided to use this filter. For christ sake, I spend that for a good night out in Tahoe at least once per month.
You seem to think these K&N engineers are Tony Starks and the actual BMW engineers are designing the car in a cave somewhere.

Just because it "flows" better doesn't mean it's performing better. Input is only good if the engine can utilize it. Anyone with experience with modding knows that any drop-in or bolt-on needs to be accompanied by a tune to actually make a difference.

Most people buy CAI and drop-in filters for sound. The performance argument is dubious at best.
Appreciate 1
JamesWWIII2932.00
      08-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #69
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVito View Post
You seem to think these K&N engineers are Tony Starks and the actual BMW engineers are designing the car in a cave somewhere.

Just because it "flows" better doesn't mean it's performing better. Input is only good if the engine can utilize it. Anyone with experience with modding knows that any drop-in or bolt-on needs to be accompanied by a tune to actually make a difference.

Most people buy CAI and drop-in filters for sound. The performance argument is dubious at best.
Again... never said anything about a performance increase? Not sure where you guys are getting that from?!

I understand and agree with your tune comment. Most people who opt for an aftermarket intake set up are tuned or are planning to get tuned like myself. I have a couple more items I need to get taken care of, to compliment what I have already done - before installing my flash tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #70
DonVito
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport

So why does "flow" matter then, if not for performance increase? It doesn't increase reliability. The mileage increase is negligible at best.
Appreciate 2
JamesWWIII2932.00
Skyhigh1882.00
      08-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #71
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVito View Post
So why does "flow" matter then, if not for performance increase? It doesn't increase reliability. The mileage increase is negligible at best.
This appears to be the question that can’t be answered by those drunk on the K&N Kool-Aid.

For obvious reasons.
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1882.00
      08-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #72
tpliquid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 330i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
I have no issues with my car in general , had a TPMS issue but that’s it.
Took car in to dealer for service, no problem with K&N filter. Been using these filters on all my cars for over 20 years. I do not do it for performance gains. I did dyno test on another car of mine and did get 7hp over stock with K&N. Dyno owner said he has seen cars that got negitive results... less hp with K&N. 320i is a great car, but it does need all the help it can get ! I actually get better mileage over stock. I just do road trips in my 320.
Curious was the stock filter brand new or has already been on car for many miles?
Appreciate 0