F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > BMW Sterling B L O W S
proTUNING Freaks

05-03-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
airfish
Private
Rep
Drives: Gray

BMW Sterling B L O W S

The latest of my follies with these clowns.

Car under warranty (15') they recorded I refused to have brake pads changed on the service ??

Then they said (on the phone) it was done but just a paperwork mistake. However, they refused to confirm this in an email or to correct the record and send me a new service record entry.

Super shady hucksters.

After 20 years of BMW ownership.. this dealership singlehandedly changed my mind on the value proposition of buying a BMW. Never again.

"Caveat Emptor"
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 07:23 AM   #2
waxwing_f31
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive MSport Wagon

Garage List
2014 F31  [0.00]
I agree. They suck!! Tried to charge me almost $500 to just remove TWO stuck wheel bolts! After telling me on the phone, "Come on out, charge should be minimal if not free". Never going there again.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #3
emfollin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-sport

Purchased my 335i from them. Not a very good sale experience. Definitely git that big city feeling and I was just a dumb countryman. I knew more about the car then they did.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
So, apparently bmw of sterling got bought by some other company. Wonder if they'll get better or even worse.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 09:20 PM   #5
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Lying, cheating cunts. My experience with BMW dealers as well. Two specifically rattled my cage. Trust is completely lost from here on out.

BMW of Melbourne (Florida)
East Bay BMW (California)

Full disclosure:

Niello BMW (California) has treated me alright.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #6
joesid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

Is there a recommended dealer in the area? I recently picked up a 340i and live in DC.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
Tomo366
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D

Garage List
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
I have had great service at BMW of Silver Spring treated me well Warranty is done now though so next time will tell
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 03:33 PM   #8
JNMNL52
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440ix 2018 X5 35i

Ditto on BMW of Silver Spring. Just purchased MPBBK and installed by their Service Department. This was my first experience with them. Service Manager, Joe Diss, treated me well with professional install and coding by the techs at reasonable price. I will be going back.
      01-19-2021, 05:55 PM   #9
davewes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo366 View Post
I have had great service at BMW of Silver Spring treated me well Warranty is done now though so next time will tell
I go to Silver Springs as well. Went to Annapolis originally and wasn't impressed. Silver Springs was a night and day difference. Definitely recommend them.
      04-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #10
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo366 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
Ditto on BMW of Silver Spring. Just purchased MPBBK and installed by their Service Department. This was my first experience with them. Service Manager, Joe Diss, treated me well with professional install and coding by the techs at reasonable price. I will be going back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davewes View Post
I go to Silver Springs as well. Went to Annapolis originally and wasn't impressed. Silver Springs was a night and day difference. Definitely recommend them.
I've actually had quite the opposite experience. BMW of Annapolis sponsors NCC DIY events.

Silver Spring shies away from big warranty jobs ie. transmission replacements, engine replacements, etc. They've refused to replace my transmission under warranty when Annapolis had no problem in doing so.

Annapolis has far more lifts (~36 lifts) than techs so they are more willing to do bigger jobs because they don't mind leaving the car on a lift if they need to wait on a part. In fact, they have enough lifts that we can run club events there and not impact their service department on the weekends.
Silver Spring doesn't have nearly as many lifts so they can't afford to do bigger jobs that might tie up a lift. They prefer to do more of the maintenance jobs/services.

Also, Annapolis does collision and body repairs. Silver Spring does not do them in-house. They don't have the equipment to do so. Silver Spring is more of a sales volume dealership than a service dealership.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #11
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Tack another failure on to bmw of sterling.

I have been avoiding then for a long time, but due to complications working on my suspension, I couldn't get my car aligned at my normal shop yesterday. So I had to get it done today and the dealers are open on Saturday.

I figured, they can handle a simple alignment, right?

Nope. They told me there was some play in my bilstein front left strut, and that they couldn't get the camber perfect because of that. The rest of it looked great on the sheet. I figured I would get a second opinion on the strut, no big deal.

I drive off, and immediately notice the steering wheel is cocked to the right, almost to the 1 o'clock position. I turn around and drive it right back into the service bay. I approach the service advisor and explain, and he tells me that the tech told him that was because of my strut.

WHAT?? The strut has *nothing* to do with the steering wheel being misaligned. That's the tie rods. The advisor asks the tech on the phone to come talk to me, and straight up says no. No explanation. Advisor tells me I need to come back on Monday to fix it. Not an option for me, because I have a 6am flight across the country. Not returning until friday night, and I have an autocross next Saturday morning.

He tells me that's the only option, and I went full Karen and asked if the service manager was there. Surprise surprise, not there until Monday.

I leave in a huff and head home to check my strut. It's rock solid. Call BMW of fairfax, they have time to look at it immediately.

The fairfax shop foreman says, "I can't believe they let you leave with it like this."

They got it squared away, straighten wheel and reset toe and confirm there is nothing wrong with my suspension, especially the strut.

Guess who is going to be asking the bmw sterling service manager for their money back next week?
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2021, 11:07 AM   #12
starkfu
Josef
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3 JB DCT

service advisor there once told me the cold start on my M3 was the car running rough and that it needed service..... when I explained the cold start procedure to her she argued with me.....
      06-25-2021, 02:16 PM   #13
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My story ends as well as it probably could, I talked to the service manager Jessica, and she was very nice and apologetic and gave me my money back. Hopefully something happens with the service advisor who refused to even look at how bad they messed up the steering wheel angle.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0