F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New 2016 340I owner ride quality question
proTUNING Freaks

07-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #23
Loki58
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
Agreed. Most of this retrofit is simply not feasible due to costs. Your quoted costs are a bit high because you've quoted Genuine BMW parts, but still...it's expensive and a lot of work. It'd be way cheaper to eat a small loss on the car and buy one that has everything they want.

OP this is a lesson anyone who starts getting into cars learns. You need to buy the car that has basically everything you want because certain things are just not feasible to change unless you're actually looking for the project. If track handling was important to you, you should've gotten a car with the package.

There are certain things that you can reasonably retrofit yourself. There are certain features that are so rare you really can't wait around for (LSD for example) so that's OK to retrofit later. But you never want to find yourself trying to retrofit an entire options package on a modern car. They're far too integrated nowadays.
Definitely new to this and if I had to do it over would just get what I wanted. Lesson learned, but also would have been hard to learn this lesson without making the mistake first, as my knowledge of what I really wanted was limited until I got this particular car. I'm happy to do the coil overs and the tires to get what I want but not regreting the purchase it is a great car for my first foray and I am loving it. Great to hear from you all and nice to learn! Here are better pics of the new ride....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 01:02 PM   #24
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki58 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
Agreed. Most of this retrofit is simply not feasible due to costs. Your quoted costs are a bit high because you've quoted Genuine BMW parts, but still...it's expensive and a lot of work. It'd be way cheaper to eat a small loss on the car and buy one that has everything they want.

OP this is a lesson anyone who starts getting into cars learns. You need to buy the car that has basically everything you want because certain things are just not feasible to change unless you're actually looking for the project. If track handling was important to you, you should've gotten a car with the package.

There are certain things that you can reasonably retrofit yourself. There are certain features that are so rare you really can't wait around for (LSD for example) so that's OK to retrofit later. But you never want to find yourself trying to retrofit an entire options package on a modern car. They're far too integrated nowadays.
Definitely new to this and if I had to do it over would just get what I wanted. Lesson learned, but also would have been hard to learn this lesson without making the mistake first, as my knowledge of what I really wanted was limited until I got this particular car. I'm happy to do the coil overs and the tires to get what I want but not regreting the purchase it is a great car for my first foray and I am loving it. Great to hear from you all and nice to learn! Here are better pics of the new ride....
Yep still a great car and some nice coil overs or performance struts and springs will be very satisfying.

I've personally made the mistake twice but the second time wasn't as bad. The first time me I didn't wait around for a good manual to be available for my E46. I enjoyed the car but the auto really sapped it's potential. Then on the E82 I got everything I wanted except the sport package. That was fine since I wanted the suspension project BUT I always regretted not having the sport seats.