F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Post your 2012 F30 328i and 335i Lease Deal Here
Studio RSR

07-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #111
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy86 View Post
Hi Im new to the BMW world coming from an Infiniti G35 and I'm axiously awaiting my 335i order. I was questioning this protection because of tire wear factor. I will be leasing my car at 12k miles per year for 36 months. How do the stock tires hold up if I am not burning rubber all the time? I know the run flats can be upwards of $300 per tire and the dealer is offering this protection plan for about $10/month.
Sorry to be respond so late, I just saw your post.

I live in the Chicago area so I can't run summer performance tires year round.
So I have to get new tires every time I lease.
I didn't want the sub standard all season tire option. I went for the summer performance tires on my Msport.

But I can't use them. I get the highest performing all season I can get.
It usually costs me between $700 to $900 for a full set taxed and mounted at Tire Rack.
I store the OEM tires for the duration of the lease, and enjoy and get the full use of the tires I actually want.
When the lease is up, I remount the OEM tires, which have very little use and look brand new.
BMW gets the car back with the exact tires they put on with plenty of tread.

If you use the OEM tires, chances are you'll be at the tread limit at the end of your lease, and at 36K miles per year you're likely looking at buying a whole set at those crazy RFT prices.

I don't believe the tire protection protects you from wear. It protects in case of damage. If the tire is not repairable, then you get a new tire.
If the tires wear is below acceptable limit, which it likely will be, the warranty won't get you a new set. That is just normal wear not damage.
Make sure you clearly ask if they will give you a new set, if that is what they claim.

I know some people don't want to risk driving with non RFTs with no spare.
The concern is real and understandable.
For me, I accept the risk of having a flat with no spare. If it happens I'll call BMW road side assistance to get me home or to the tire shop.
I accept this because I'm not a fan of RFT's and how they ride.
I much prefer standard ultra high performance tires.
Also, I've been doing my method of getting new tires right away since I got my 2003 325i. Luckily, and knock on my wooden head, I've not had a puncture or blow out in any of may cars since then, and that's 3 different cars. I've been lucky.

I'm planning a long trip next year, possibly out to Arizona, and I'll be in spots where help will be a long time in coming.
My plan is to buy a mini spare, small jack, and wrench. If I get a flat, I'll be able to get to a shop. For extended local driving there are plenty of road side assistance places to come get me.

If you want to keep the RFT's, one suggestion is to find a full set of slightly used RFT's from a forum member who has swapped tires and wheels.
You should be able to get them really cheap. As long as they have light wear, and have more than the acceptable limit, then just store them.
When your OEM RFT's are below limit and you need to return the car, just put the used tires on and you're good to go at a much lower cost.

There should be OEM RFT's popping up in the for sale section very soon, if there aren't some already there. Prices should drop once more F30 owners swap out their wheels/tires. It's an enthusiast site, so a lot of owners will swap.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #112
itguy86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Thanks for the info. I will be picking up my car hopefully this week so that was good timing. I will buy another set of tires that are non-run flat.
Appreciate 0