F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > How much slower is the 6MT?
GetBMWParts

03-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #45
Stopsign32v
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mach 1

Oh...And if I go 8AT, I'll be getting a B58. Sorry N55 guys!
Appreciate 1
pkiledj46.00
      03-20-2019, 04:06 PM   #46
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
You don't think a better option would be a LSD in a RWD and just put some light weight 15-17" wheels (whatever would clear the brakes) on the rear with some Hoosiers?

I've heard horror stories about the xdrive!
RWD with the LSD is certainly a more enjoyable driving experience overall. Assuming you're wanting to run a tune/DP and around 100whp/wtq than stock along with slicks, I'd worry that you'd snap an expensive half shaft. You can't get the half-shafts from NAPA. As far as I've read, you've got to source it from BMW.

The B58 is a solid choice and a better performing motor out of the box than the N55, but keep in mind both the N55 and B58 are pretty equal once you do the typical mods and both run out of fuel in the 400whp range. To get more power, you're talking meth/ethanol and other fueling mods to make that work. Once you cross that bridge, you're often then stuck in a cycle of troubleshooting weird driveability gremlins, ghost CELs, etc.

The S55, N54, and N55 motors can make huge power with turbo swaps and fueling mods, but don't kid yourself into thinking they're daily driver reliable.

The verdict is still out on the B58. There are no turbo swaps out for it yet. I'm a bit spooked by the rear mounted timing chain and VANOs and really spooked by the air/liquid intercooler mounted right up to the head. The S55 uses a very similar setup and some older M3/M4s are now having coolant leaking from the intercooler into the head/intake ports. Frightening. BMW's history with cooling systems and gaskets is dismal. The B58 also has a documented history of coolant disappearing from the intercooler coolant tank. The new S58 M motor has it's air/water intercooler vertically mounted on the side of the motor now. Really makes you think why they did that.
      03-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #47
Stopsign32v
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I'm a bit spooked by the rear mounted timing chain and VANOs and really spooked by the air/liquid intercooler mounted right up to the head. The S55 uses a very similar setup and some older M3/M4s are now having coolant leaking from the intercooler into the head/intake ports. Frightening. BMW's history with cooling systems and gaskets is dismal. The B58 also has a documented history of coolant disappearing from the intercooler coolant tank. The new S58 M motor has it's air/water intercooler vertically mounted on the side of the motor now. Really makes you think why they did that.
You make good points and all are points that I am also scared of the B58. I might still go N55 with PS2 but I for sure will be going meth with a trunk mount tank where the trunk floor tub goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 02:19 AM   #48
TEST DRYVER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
Dude, you already posted exactly that on the first page...
Oops! Sorry, and thanks for the heads up. I woke up the next morning and saw my text as if I had written it, but not posted... My bad...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #49
ncrodelle
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
If you are semi proficient with a 6MT you won't notice anything. If you are asking this question the manual is probably not a must for you in which case it doesn't really matter what you get. for a lot of us on here the experience of a 6MT especially with it being a dying breed makes it that much more engaging and valuable. If you suck at shifting or want to be able to go WOT with a coffee mug in your hand the 8AT is for you.
Agreed, there something about a manual BMW that makes the driving experience feel even more special.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #50
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post

The following cars use the ZF 8HP tranny (in various specs)

Jaguar XE
Alfa Romeo Giulia, Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Range Rover Sport (2012), Rolls-Royce Phantom, Maserati Quattroporte (2013–)
Aston Martin Vanquish (2015), Aston Martin Rapide S (2015
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio, Aston Martin DB11, Aston Martin V8 Vantage (2019)
Rolls-Royce Ghost,[17] Rolls-Royce Wraith (2013), Bentley Mulsanne, Bentley Continental GT, Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat, Bentley Bentayga, Audi RS 6, Audi SQ7
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT Trackhawk, Rolls-Royce Ghost Black Badge, Rolls-Royce Wraith Black Badge, Rolls-Royce Dawn Black Badge, Aston Martin DBS Superleggera

I don't care what you say, I think its pretty cool the 20k car I drive everyday is trusted by these premium product offerings as well. Pretty solid company to be in.

I think alot of the reason our cars are so surprisingly fast to 60 is the tranny, because all kinds of cars have 300hp and are not sub 5 second cars...not even close.

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #51
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

I own a 6MT. Traffic light to light the 8 speed is faster. But I'm tuned so it's mitigated that. There's rev hang, sometimes it won't go into 1st and the highway revs and fuel Economy are shit. But I wouldn't take the 8 speed if it was given to me. 6MT all day baby
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 12:20 AM   #52
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT/e46 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
I own a 6MT. Traffic light to light the 8 speed is faster. But I'm tuned so it's mitigated that. There's rev hang, sometimes it won't go into 1st and the highway revs and fuel Economy are shit. But I wouldn't take the 8 speed if it was given to me. 6MT all day baby
Interesting. Sometimes it's difficult getting into first for me also. Only on occasion and no rhyme or reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 06:41 AM   #53
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonnblack View Post
Quote:
Interesting. Sometimes it's difficult getting into first for me also. Only on occasion and no rhyme or reason.
Some claim it's a synchro issue. The solution I've found is if you're alone (like at a red light, and therefore not holding a line of cars up) I usually go into second then neutral again and sometimes first will work for me. If I'm in front of someone and first gives me an issue I just pop into second and take off from second.

People have been reporting this issues on brand new cars and old cars so I'm not sure what to make of it. It's strange that 2nd works fine for me always considering they share the same selecting fork but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #54
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by codestar View Post
I have a 6MT and wouldn't change it for anything. Yes, I do have a few gripes about this particular transmission, namely:

- Bad 1-2 synchro so had to get a new transmission under warranty (lucky)
- New transmission sometimes gets....stuck... halfway between N-1 and won't push into gear. I usually have to pump the clutch again and try the whole motion again. I've gotten used to it, but it's still annoying. Approx 10-20% of N-1 shifts. I tend to hold in gear when stopped now to not deal with it
- Definitely not as fast as the 8AT. Buddy has an 340i MP edition with the MPPSK, and even when I only had MPPK and nothing else it he still walked away from me like nothing. (Aware it was a combo of having B58 and also the 8AT but still)
- I can literally shift the gear lever faster than the entire clutch motion which is annoying and not smooth when I'm not focusing on it. My old K20 civic Si was the complete opposite, the faster I could move the lever the better

But the positives?

- One of the last BMW manuals, get it and enjoy it!!
- Theft deterrent (lol)
- The sweet sweet connection to the car
- At least in my area it's really quite unique to have a new 6MT Bimmer so that's nice
- 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 shifts are excellent
- Doing some twisty mountain/canyon driving and exectuing perfect timing on shifts to not be one-handing hairpin turns

All in all I've owned 6 manuals to date and loved every one of them, even with their quirks
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #55
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Some claim it's a synchro issue. The solution I've found is if you're alone (like at a red light, and therefore not holding a line of cars up) I usually go into second then neutral again and sometimes first will work for me. If I'm in front of someone and first gives me an issue I just pop into second and take off from second.

People have been reporting this issues on brand new cars and old cars so I'm not sure what to make of it. It's strange that 2nd works fine for me always considering they share the same selecting fork but who knows.
Happens to me, like 10% or less of the time. I took it to the dealer under warranty and they couldn’t replicate the issue. But I’m glad to know it’s not just me.

I usually start just pull out, pump the clutch and it works.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #56
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post
Quote:

Happens to me, like 10% or less of the time. I took it to the dealer under warranty and they couldn’t replicate the issue. But I’m glad to know it’s not just me.

Yeah the clutch pump works as well.

Other than that I love it tho. 1-2 is kinda notchy and unfortunately we can't do a PCV delete like e46s and e90s, which would solve that issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #57
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Happens to me, like 10% or less of the time. I took it to the dealer under warranty and they couldn't replicate the issue. But I'm glad to know it's not just me.

Other than that I love it tho. 1-2 is kinda notchy and unfortunately we can't do a PCV delete like e46s and e90s, which would solve that issue.
You're gonna be happy when you read this thread.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1486773
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #58
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Happens to me, like 10% or less of the time. I took it to the dealer under warranty and they couldn't replicate the issue. But I'm glad to know it's not just me.

You're gonna be happy when you read this thread.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1486773
My mistake, should've been more clear. I meant easily. I believe this involves drilling and I'm not too confident in my abilities lol. But thank you for the reference.
Appreciate 0