F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Software update impossible
Studio RSR

03-11-2019, 04:45 AM   #1
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Software update impossible

Hello people

I have a question. 2 weeks ago on the highway i received an engine warnining light + drivetrain error.

So i went to BMW to check it out and they said the software need to be updated. They did this but they received an error code. They say they can't update the car, cause the car has some some coding work done not by BMW. Now they suggest the whole module must be replaced and it will cost me 1000€. I have still warranty but they refuse to replace it on their costs. The coding work can't be the problem of this since it's already 3 years ago it has been coded

What are your opinions on this? I have the feeling they want to rip me off
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 04:59 AM   #2
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

I think only coding will not block the software update.
But a change in the VO could cause problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 05:47 AM   #3
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
I think only coding will not block the software update.
But a change in the VO could cause problems.
They said it's the coding work who are causing this problem
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #4
Ibo24
New BMW owner
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 316d, BMW F40 116d

Garage List
Put everything on default with esys.

Has the FA been changed?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #5
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibo24 View Post
Put everything on default with esys.

Has the FA been changed?
No the only thing has been changed to my knowledge is different coding work (Bmw, logo, rolls royce chime,...) since it's a premium selection
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriske92 View Post
So i went to BMW to check it out and they said the software need to be updated.
Did the old software cause the drive train error? I think not. If it was a problem it would have been seen three years ago. Unless the original software caused the problem there's no 'need' to update it.
Quote:
a change in the VO could cause problems.
+1. Changes to CAFD shouldn't prevent a software update, changes to VO probably would. People who've done coding who did not change the VO get software updates all the time. When they do the CAFDs are all returned to default, so they lose their coding changes and have to code them again.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #7
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Quote:
So i went to BMW to check it out and they said the software need to be updated.
Did the old software cause the drive train error? I think not. If it was a problem it would have been seen three years ago. Unless the original software caused the problem there's no 'need' to update it.
Quote:
a change in the VO could cause problems.
+1. Changes to CAFD shouldn't prevent a software update, changes to VO probably would. People who've done coding who did not change the VO get software updates all the time. When they do the CAFDs are all returned to default, so they lose their coding changes and have to code them again.
They said the old software caused the problem and that's why they will update it. But they can't cause some coding work prevents them to donit. He gave the example of the M performance logo in the dash. Sound like they are searching a black goat to blame me after all.

I asked them why they couldn't foresee this problem. Since i'm regular customer and goes on maintenance always there. They said, we don't at software if it's not needed.

Besides the coding work i only upgraded the center panel of the F30 to the one with ambient light on.

I'm sorry to ask the question, sounds stupid but VO what does it mean? Is it Vehicule orderong coded? Because then no this has been untouched

Thx everybody for the help already
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
Ibo24
New BMW owner
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
Yes the Vehicle Order is the one with the codes like 3AG, 205, ...

If this has not been touched by you, then it’s impossible that they can’t update it.

Perhaps the previous owner did it?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They said the old software caused the problem and that's why they will update it.
It didn't cause a problem for the first three years.

VO is vehicle order, which you'd only change to allow use of equipment not originally on the car. You have to take anything a dealer says about coding with a grain of salt. Dealers don't do coding, so they're not familiar with what it is.
In any event get your own OBD diagnostic tool and you can diagnose the problem yourself. My experience on that:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2#post23288222
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #10
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibo24 View Post
Yes the Vehicle Order is the one with the codes like 3AG, 205, ...

If this has not been touched by you, then it's impossible that they can't update it.

Perhaps the previous owner did it?
So BMW called me back and apparently someone coded the VO 6NK into my interface. I said to them that i don't even own bluetooth audio and it's impossible to play audio through bluetooth.
Now they will call BMW München to solve this problem, because without autorisation they don't want to touch it. They will see if the coding was done before or after i bought it.
They say if BMW don't want to carry the cost they should switch the unit on my cost of 1000€. Sounds ridiculous no?

Since it's a premium selection and have warranty i feel so fucked.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #11
Ibo24
New BMW owner
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
Then let it change it back.

If you are from Belgium, I’dd be glad to help you out.
I see that you are also from Belgium.

I'm from Beringen- Limburg.

Search for BIMCoded on Facebook, I'll help you with this. For no charge.

Last edited by Ibo24; 03-11-2019 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Sounds ridiculous yes. You don't need to replace a module to change the VO back to stock, you just need to know what you're doing. Everything they've told you so far leads me to believe that they don't.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #13
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sounds ridiculous yes. You don't need to replace a module to change the VO back to stock, you just need to know what you're doing. Everything they've told you so far leads me to believe that they don't.
Yeah but i need them to change it back so they could do a software update. Otherwise my car will give me always turbo pressure (drivetrain) error

Even the mechanic of BMW said this coding will not be the cause of the problem. But it's BMW's policy. So i will wait untill tmrw what they will say
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I don't believe the software is the cause of the turbo pressure error. If it was then all the F30 BMWs driving about without having that update would have the same error. I'm aware that BMW will 'upgrade' software as a matter of policy when they work on the car. That's one reason why now that my warranty has ended my car will never see a BMW garage again.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #15
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don't believe the software is the cause of the turbo pressure error. If it was then all the F30 BMWs driving about without having that update would have the same error. I'm aware that BMW will 'upgrade' software as a matter of policy when they work on the car. That's one reason why now that my warranty has ended my car will never see a BMW garage again.
Actually they never gave me a cause. They just say that this fault code will dissapear when they update software. But imagine i pay theirs new module and after this update, the problem is still there.

It's so weird they can't say what causes this problem. One would think that BMW mechanics should know what triggers these kind of error codes.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #16
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

That's why I recommend that everyone own an OBD diagnostic tool. Even if you lack the mechanical skills to fix problems you can at least identify what the problems are without paying a diagnostic fee to a dealer. If the codes are not related to ongoing issues you can clear them yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #17
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's why I recommend that everyone own an OBD diagnostic tool. Even if you lack the mechanical skills to fix problems you can at least identify what the problems are without paying a diagnostic fee to a dealer. If the codes are not related to ongoing issues you can clear them yourself.
I went to a mechanic (not bmw) and he read the codes. The codes that the car threw me were turbo pressure related. Bmw says its just a software problem that causes these turbo errors.

But tmrw they will sya me more
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #18
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Sorry to thread jack but does all VO coding make it impossible for BMW to update the software?

I ask because I added TPMS which if I recall is 2VS.

I did this thinking that if my software was updated again then I would not have to redo all of the coding required for the TPMS.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #19
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bmw says its just a software problem that causes these turbo errors.
The why don't I get them? My software has never been updated.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #20
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Bmw says its just a software problem that causes these turbo errors.
The why don't I get them? My software has never been updated.
Until now car is almost 2 weeks in garage. Last monday they fixed the exhaust. But the software update is complicated, they can't receive a solid connection from Münich to update it. It looks like they are taking my car hostage

I call everyday to ask when the problem is going to be fixed, but everytime i receive the same answer. No connection to Múnich, so they still can't update the software
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #21
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

As the French would say, merde de taureau.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #22
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 F40 M135iX

Quote:
Until now car is almost 2 weeks in garage. Last monday they fixed the exhaust. But the software update is complicated, they can't receive a solid connection from Münich to update it. It looks like they are taking my car hostage

I call everyday to ask when the problem is going to be fixed, but everytime i receive the same answer. No connection to Múnich, so they still can't update the software
Why not march in to your dealer and demand the return of the car as it is.

Take it away and find a helpful (local) person on this forum to VO code the car for you, bringing the FA into line with the VIN by deleting any spurious codes.

Then take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix whatever problem is causing error codes.
Appreciate 0