F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Issues registering car to connected drive
GetBMWParts

03-23-2019, 05:38 AM   #1
Scottishcammy
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D TOURING M SPORT

Issues registering car to connected drive

Hi folks,

loving my new 320D but my god.....what a nightmare trying to register my car to connected services! Argh! I've just sent an email to BMW customer services, which I'll paste below and explains the issues.

I would be really grateful if anyone on here has experienced the same problems could maybe let me know? Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I am having an issue with trying to connect my car to BMW connected driver services and being told conflicting information from my dealer and BMW connected services / customer services:

I recently bought the following car as my first BMW

BMW 320D Touring M Sport

(I passed the reg here, but its a 2013 car with the professional sat nav / media package)

VIN: xxxxxx

I wanted to connect my car to connected services so I could update the maps, download apps, etc. and use the full range of services. However, when I tried to register my car online with connected services I received a message saying I couldn't and to send a copy of my V5 to connected services.

I did so and subsequently received an email from a BMW customer support executive (attached as a PDF) saying to try and connect my sim, but if this did not work, to:

"...please contact your preferred retailer so that they can inspect your vehicle and look into this matter for you and have your vehicle set up. This would be at no cost unless any issues are found that need rectifying."

I phoned BMW connected services as this was confusing, and was told the process of sending the V5 to them no longer is used, and shouldn't be on the website (it still is), and the new process is that customers wishing to add a car to connected services need to pop in to a dealership, who would perform this free of charge.

I then arranged for a telephone appointment with BMW geniuses at Peter Vardy Edinburgh to talk this through and arrange an apointment, but they failed to contact me at the allotted time (Friday 22nd March 1000 - 1100) and I've never heard from them.

I then contacted my local retailer, BMW Peter Vardy Edinburgh, and spoke with Brian Boyd, their technical services manager.

I explained the foregoing and Brian was very helpful, suggesting to bring my car in.

However, when I went to make an appointment I was told there would be a charge of £165 to do this, which was contrary to the email I had received from BMW customer support, and the phone calls I had made to them.

I then phoned connected services and explained the foregoing. I was told that it was definitely a free service and to contact the dealership again, forwarding the attached email, where it mentioned it was a free service. Should there be further problems, they should phone connected services who would explain

I did so, but was told by Peter Vardy that, as far as they were concerned, it was not free and would be a diagnostic charge of £165.

I then phoned BMW customer services (0870 505 0160) and explained the foregoing. The person I spoke to spent some time phoning various BMW departments, and eventually told me that all I had to do was pop in to my dealership, tell them it was most definitely free to do, and give them the following telephone number (0800 561 0555), ask them to phone it and they would be told it was free and guided through the process to add my car to connected services.

Brian Boyd then phoned me back and I explained the foregoing. He kindly phoned the 0800 number and then phoned me back again. He explained the person he spoke told him it was not free and would cost £165!

I am sure, if you are still awake after reading all that, you will appreciate my frustration, fatigue and general lack of positive experience in dealing with BMW and trying to get this sorted.

I am constantly being told by BMW customer services / connected drive services this is a free service (unless there is something wrong with my car obviously), to then be told by the dealership in no way is it free and I will have to pay £165 for them to have a look at the car and check if there is a fault before they do anything else.

Brian Boyd suggested I email you explaining the circumstances, and to include him as a point of reference for you in resolving this matter (brian.boyd@petervardy.com).

I would ask the following.....I, as the customer, do not wish to, and should not have to, phone back and forward between different parts of BMW in a never ending cycle of opposing information. This has been an extremely disappointing and frustrating experience.

I would ask that you (BMW customer services) liaise with Brian Boyd (brian.boyd@petervardy.com) at BMW Peter Vardy Edinburgh, agree a course of action and resolve this matter.

Clearly my personal opinion is, all I want to do is connect my car to BMW connected drive, I do not agree that this should cost me £165. Surely it would make sense for Peter Vardy to at least attempt to register my car in consultation with instructions from BMW connected services, then, if this does not work, then I can make a decision as to whether or not I would like to pay £165 for them to begin a fault diagnosis? To me, it makes sense to at least try the simple step first before a fault diagnosis (when there may well be no fault at all)?

The sim card must work in my car, as I made a test emergency call in the car (without my phone present) and it worked perfectly.

I cannot understand why I have been told repeatedly this is free if it is not? Is it free or not!

In reading BMW forums online this would seem to be a common problem, and a source of constant frustration in being bounced back and forth between different parts of BMW.

Please, can you liaise with Brian Boyd at Peter Vardy at you earliest opportunity, both agree what the course of action (is it free or not) then contact with with the outcome and what I am to do next?

Thank you,

Cameron
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #2
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Connected Drive sucks. It's been on and offline and back again for the last few months. One week, everything will work, and the next week it won't.

You're not alone.

03-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

First, get it in writing from BMW. Then present it to the dealer. If he still refuses go to a different dealer. The service is not free, nothing in this world is. When BMW says it's no charge that means no charge to the customer, the dealer is still reimbursed for his time by BMW. If this dealer is determined to screw you over by having you pay for the service as well as being paid by BMW they do not deserve your business. For that matter they do not deserve a BMW franchise, so what ever happens put it in writing and send it to BMW customer relations.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
Scottishcammy
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D TOURING M SPORT

Thanks guys, appreciate your feedback
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 01:41 PM   #5
Sale333
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F30

Hey guys, I'm new here and I have one question, please answer. Thank you.

My question is: I'm from Germany and I bought a BMW 320d F30. I was in a car and car was turned OFF and while I was turning ON headlights (car was still OFF) my BMW tried like to start itself!? I mean speed cursor on dashboard started to move up a little while I turned headlights ON. Why is that!?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 01:59 PM   #6
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
I bought my car second hand and all my ConnectedDrive services were active and still are, not counting the premium paid services.

Aside from RTT, Im not interested in the paid services anyway. Everything else works fine...
Appreciate 0