F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMS Stage 1 Question - Boost Leak?
Studio RSR

12-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #1
Rolynyari620
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335I N55

BMS Stage 1 Question - Boost Leak?

Hi Everyone! I drive a 2014 EB 335i EWG - ER Charge Pipe, Megan Supremo Exhaust, AFE drop in filter, BMS Stage 1 Tune.

I'm not a street racer by any means, but last night I got gaped by a few cars length by a GTI at about an 80-120 mph roll on the highway (it was late, highway was empty). He was obviously not stock and I know those things can make killer power... but still.

I wondered if maybe by tune wasn't working? I connected by OBDII dongle this morning and used the OBD Fusion app for IOS to check my boost. The highest I made this morning at WOT in Sport + was 7lbs. Isn't that suppsoed to be stock boost?

Is my BMS Stage 1 not working? How can I tell?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Get the bms data cable and datalog boost

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolynyari620 View Post
Hi Everyone! I drive a 2014 EB 335i EWG - ER Charge Pipe, Megan Supremo Exhaust, AFE drop in filter, BMS Stage 1 Tune.

I'm not a street racer by any means, but last night I got gaped by a few cars length by a GTI at about an 80-120 mph roll on the highway (it was late, highway was empty). He was obviously not stock and I know those things can make killer power... but still.

I wondered if maybe by tune wasn't working? I connected by OBDII dongle this morning and used the OBD Fusion app for IOS to check my boost. The highest I made this morning at WOT in Sport + was 7lbs. Isn't that suppsoed to be stock boost?

As mentioned, you really need a datalog. I am not super familar with the BMS stage 1, so i am not sure if it works by "tricking" the ECU into running more boost, in which case you may only see stock boost levels using the method you did to monitor boost. Stock boost is in the 7-10psi range, depending on atmospheric conditions, IAT, RPM, etc.

You need to be able to see boost target and manifold boost at a minimum. Also useful would be throttle position and pre-throttle boost to see if throttle closures are responsible for lack of power.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
Rolynyari620
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335I N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
As mentioned, you really need a datalog. I am not super familar with the BMS stage 1, so i am not sure if it works by "tricking" the ECU into running more boost, in which case you may only see stock boost levels using the method you did to monitor boost. Stock boost is in the 7-10psi range, depending on atmospheric conditions, IAT, RPM, etc.

You need to be able to see boost target and manifold boost at a minimum. Also useful would be throttle position and pre-throttle boost to see if throttle closures are responsible for lack of power.
Thank you very much, that exactly what BMS told me. Only stock boost showing, so if I'm boosting 7 lbs stock on the OBDII dongle then i must be at 10LBS total if BMS Stage 1 is +3.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #5
SimpleJack
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 C

Quote:

Sounds like you need a DP and FMIC for Stage 2!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Thank you very much, that exactly what BMS told me. Only stock boost showing, so if I'm boosting 7 lbs stock on the OBDII dongle then i must be at 10LBS total if BMS Stage 1 is +3.

Thank you!
yes exactly

Mike
Appreciate 0