F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dorch Stage 2+ BM3 issue
proTUNING Freaks

11-02-2020, 04:17 AM   #1
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Dorch Stage 2+ BM3 issue

Hi Lads,

Got a bit of of an issue I'd really appreciate some help with. I usually lurk in the X3 forum talking tow bars, MPG, heated seats and how to clean up ice cream stains, but not today

My car is a 2018 X3 M40i, I've recently flashed stage 1 93, then completed an XHP trans flash - all good so far, the whole thing went amazingly smoothly, massive improvement too.

Today I had a down pipe installed and a Dorch stage 2, however since I flashed the Stage 2+ 93 map (selected Dorch stage 2 in fuel pump configuration) it's running like crap, rough idle really obvious.

I'm getting a message "You can continue driving, road assistance not required - Drive power reduced" on the BMW screen now.

I've tried hooking the laptop back up and doing some logging / diagnostics but I've got no idea what I am doing. It's running so badly that the "logging" is just me sitting in one spot giving it a few revs.

I flashed twice just in case this was the issue, but made no difference.

A competent mechanic installed the pump (kinda wish I had done it myself now) but it all looks good from what I can see, had the instructions printed. Pump has no leaks or anything obvious wrong, but geez it makes a bit of noise. Apparently this is normal with the engine cover off.

Basically, if someone can give me the heads up on how to tell if this is a HPFP issue, ie faulty pump or bad install that would be great. Not sure how to use BM3 to look for these faults.

Alternatively, if someone thinks they know what the issue could be (and its something else entirely) I'm all ears.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 07:35 AM   #2
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Hook up to the car, go to "Diagnostics" in the menu on the right side, and select "READ" at the top, under DTC-Diagnostic Trouble Codes
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #3
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Almost sounds like a coding problem. Have you tried re-flashing the tune?

also definitely look up what your DTC codes are
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 11:03 AM   #4
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Double check your coils. I had the same problem after installing the Dorch pump and kept looking at the pump. Turned out one of the coil connectors wasn’t clicked in all the way.
      11-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #5
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Thanks alot for the tip, crisis averted, turns out an injector plug on cylinder 4 had just popped off.

I ran the diagnostics and about 6 faults came up, almost all related to cylinder 4 so we just popped the bonnet and the problem was in front of us .

Seems like I dodged a bullet there, was not looking forward to trying to diagnose and trace an issue with the Dorch.
Appreciate 2
kern4174449.50
      11-02-2020, 09:11 PM   #6
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBen View Post
Thanks alot for the tip, crisis averted, turns out an injector plug on cylinder 4 had just popped off.

I ran the diagnostics and about 6 faults came up, almost all related to cylinder 4 so we just popped the bonnet and the problem was in front of us .

Seems like I dodged a bullet there, was not looking forward to trying to diagnose and trace an issue with the Dorch.
Glad you found this.

Altho, I will say that Chris at Dorch is incredibly helpful and quick to respond if you have any questions or issues later. Enjoy the pump!
Appreciate 2
      11-03-2020, 09:22 AM   #7
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBen View Post

Glad you figured it out
Appreciate 0