F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Valve Cover Gasket Replacement
ARMA SPEED

03-11-2021, 09:24 AM   #45
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
So my valve cover (I assume) seems to be leaking. It seems like the oil leak is towards the rear of the valve cover, by the firewall, and is dripping down onto the underbody cover. From doing some research it seems like the gasket almost always leaks off to the side and makes it's way onto the downpipe where it will smoke and smell.

Has anyone ever experienced a leak towards the back of the valve cover with no signs of smoke/smell? I'm just trying to make sure this is where the leak seems to be coming from before I place my order from FCP for a new valve cover kit...

My list is:

- New Valve Cover. Comes with all bolts and gaskets.
- BMW Valvetronic Actuator Seal with new self tapping screws
- New PCV Vent Hose

I recently replaced my coolant overflow hose, so that's new. I believe I have all the tools necesarry to do the job except for some crowfeet wrench adapters to torque the gas lines down. Anything I'm missing?
I'm so lazy - I have to do this because mine is leaking, and to install the MILVS. I'm just not motivated lol
      03-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #46
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
So my valve cover (I assume) seems to be leaking. It seems like the oil leak is towards the rear of the valve cover, by the firewall, and is dripping down onto the underbody cover. From doing some research it seems like the gasket almost always leaks off to the side and makes it's way onto the downpipe where it will smoke and smell.

Has anyone ever experienced a leak towards the back of the valve cover with no signs of smoke/smell? I'm just trying to make sure this is where the leak seems to be coming from before I place my order from FCP for a new valve cover kit...

My list is:

- New Valve Cover. Comes with all bolts and gaskets.
- BMW Valvetronic Actuator Seal with new self tapping screws
- New PCV Vent Hose

I recently replaced my coolant overflow hose, so that's new. I believe I have all the tools necesarry to do the job except for some crowfeet wrench adapters to torque the gas lines down. Anything I'm missing?
I'm so lazy - I have to do this because mine is leaking, and to install the MILVS. I'm just not motivated lol
Nothing to it. I was weary also, it's not hard at all.
      03-11-2021, 10:50 PM   #47
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

I finished mine, reading the forum it looked scary but there isn't much to it.
Take your time and remember... there are 26 screws, there is one you can't see at the bottom left. (remember 26!!!)
- Clean the gasket surface on the valve cover, degrease and then spray some tacky gasket spray at the back of the new one, it will hold in place in reassembly.
- Torque the bolts in proper sequence.
- Buy the vent tube (the one you will break trying to remove the 4 tabs or break when someone will help you push it out of the way) or make sure that your BMW dealer has it in stock.
- Buy the valvetronic plug gasket. Cheap and easy to change.

Watch a couple of videos on how to do it.
Best time to do it with the OFHG because all the injectors will be disconnected for the priming procedure.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 09:19 AM   #48
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD [Portimao Blue]

My VC just tapped out at 47k too. Think the gasket went long before. Fwiw, Tried using the liqui moly motor oil saver at an oil change around 45k but guess it didnt help much.

What other parts, if any should, should be changed out while in there? (Besides the PCV vent hose)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #49
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

You can change the plugs and coils if you want. You can also buy a brand new valve cover.
I did my plugs as the coils don't seem to have an issue on my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 09:11 PM   #50
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD [Portimao Blue]

Quote:
Originally Posted by frchdragon View Post
You can change the plugs and coils if you want. You can also buy a brand new valve cover.
Yea, im gonna do plugs, accessory belt, tensioner, idler pully, VC + VCG...

Anything else in that area ?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #51
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKH 5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frchdragon View Post
Yea, im gonna do plugs, accessory belt, tensioner, idler pully, VC + VCG...

Anything else in that area ?
nope. It's annoying that you're so far away from 60k miles because that's the interval for the plugs. Ignition coils are 100k miles. You don't "need" to replace them.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 02:45 PM   #52
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
nope. It's annoying that you're so far away from 60k miles because that's the interval for the plugs. Ignition coils are 100k miles. You don't "need" to replace them.
I wouldn't go 60k on plugs with a tuned car. I mean you probably could, but why? I changed mine at almost exactly the same mileage, around 45k IIRC, and the gap was already increased on the original plugs due to wear. New OEM were about 0.030'' going in and ones coming out were 0.035'' or so.
Appreciate 0