F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > F30/F32/F33 Classifieds (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Members Classifieds > Cars for Sale / Lease Takeover > Edmund’s Appraisal tool is very good
Extreme Powerhouse

09-05-2023, 10:57 PM   #1
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Edmund’s Appraisal tool is very good

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
Edmund’s appraisal tool by far gives the most realistic valuations. You have to pay close attention and read everything to be sure you get to their value appraisal, because they first present you with offers from CarMax and other local dealers that are basically wholesale offers, but their actual private party appraisal values are the most realistic of any of the online sites, such as KBB (which is usually high) or NADA. https://www.edmunds.com/appraisal/

I’m sharing this because there have been some very nice cars posted for sale recently that have had asking prices that are just not based in reality. I know you guys love your well equipped, well cared for cars, but your potential buyers don’t love them like you do. I’m just sayin’.

member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

09-06-2023, 12:52 PM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
yeah my fully loaded 6MT Xdrive 340 was appraised at $21,600... real world value my ass.
Post a screenshot. 10 to 1 you didn’t look at the actual Edmund’s appraisal.

Edit:
I looked at your post listing the details of your car and I used 65,000 for the mileage just as an estimate based on the 40k miles you said it had when you bought it.
Attached Images

Last edited by tturedraider; 09-06-2023 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 01:36 PM   #3
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It was the trade-in value, I changed it to private party value and I still don't think the price makes any sense. FYI, I've just had a friend in Mid-Atlantic sell a non m-sport 2018 6MT Xdrive 340 for 35k with no issues. I can easily get 37k for my car, and at the very least the 35k that he got. that's more than a 20% delta from real-world to edmunds. I don't mind that this is what Edmunds lists, but in terms of sellers using it as a basis for their car prices, I wouldn't agree with the recommendation.

I'm also attaching the initial trade-in value report with the price i first quoted.
$37k or $35k? You think? I just bought my 2018 340i M Sport with about 46,700 miles for $32,000. Premium pkg, Executive pkg (includes adaptive full LED headlights and parking assist), driving assistance pkg.
Attached Images

09-06-2023, 01:53 PM   #4
440i6MT
Brother
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i, soon E60 M5 Manual

I find the Edmunds price tool quite nice. Favorite on the market.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2023, 01:54 PM   #5
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
wasn't your car in an accident and damaged? I've seen you make these diminishing value comments about 6MT cars before, ZF8s are dime a dozen and there are more enthusiastic buyers looking for 6MT cars. X-Drive is also an upgrade over RWD.

also if your point is that my car is actually worth 28k, then you're just insanely off-key.
I actually gave $30,000 for my car to compensate for me spending the $2000 for a new front bumper.

I’m not sure how many people see xDrive as an upgrade on an F30. I would not consider an xDrive F30, because the 704 sport suspension is not available with xDrive on the F30, even if you have the adaptive suspension. xDrive has the standard suspension, which is raised by 10mm even with the adaptive suspension.

Here’s the current Edmund’s value on my car with the mileage I bought it at.
Attached Images

09-06-2023, 02:12 PM   #6
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
lmao ok guy:

damaged car, yeah no hit on value, just as good as an un-damaged car in terms of value.

awd? who needs that? i don't, so no one else does.

i'm done arguing with you.
I didn’t say any of those things, idiot. Unscrewing a bumper that got a tear in it and screwing on a new one at a first rate body shop doesn’t phase me one bit. I will absolutely submit the majority of F3x buyers who prefer a manual transmission also prefer a rwd with the sport suspension over an awd with a non-sport suspension. Especially on any 3 Series prior to the G20. So, now, how about you put me on your ignore list and that’s exactly what I’m going to do with you.

09-06-2023, 04:23 PM   #7
ssandman
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Coupe M-Sport MPPSK

Garage List
2018 440i  [0.00]
Guessing you could be referring to mine..

I'd prob take the amount I paid for it 29 months ago just fine. I just figured I'd start high since there is no others available to compare it to. This gives me a little wiggle room. It is a rare combo of options after all.

I sent an email to Edmunds asking if they do more detailed assessments since alot of the packages were missing from their 'appraised value'.

They said:

Quote:
Although our appraisal tool does not include every option, please be assured that selecting all the options listed for your vehicle will provide the most accurate appraisal value. Occasionally, certain packages, particularly those for brands like BMW, may not be listed. However, if, for instance, the Executive Package includes adaptive headlights, HUD, and a number of other options, selecting the options that you do see listed on the appraisal tool will enable the tool to consider the entire package comprehensively, even if we don't list all of that package's features.
BS. MPPSK, Track, color, and carplay add value.

See image below from Autotrader/KBB.com
Attached Images

Last edited by ssandman; 09-06-2023 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 05:13 PM   #8
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssandman View Post
Guessing you could be referring to mine..

I'd prob take the amount I paid for it 29 months ago just fine. I just figured I'd start high since there is no others available to compare it to. This gives me a little wiggle room. It is a rare combo of options after all.

I sent an email to Edmunds asking if they do more detailed assessments since alot of the packages were missing from their 'appraised value'.

They said:

BS. MPPSK, Track, color, and carplay add value.

See image below from Autotrader/KBB.com
I’m referring to a lot of cars that get posted here. In my opinion pricing a car correctly is a lot like pricing real estate correctly and every real estate agent will tell you overpricing your house will hurt your sale in the long run.

The main issue with the price you’re asking right now is the mileage on your car. But, you are correct that the MPPSK adds value to your car that a website isn’t going to account for and the fact is none of them will, because the MPPSK is an uncommon feature and it’s not a factory option, but instead a port installed option. MPPSK might add about $2,000 in value to just the right buyer, but a more realistic expectation would be about $1,000. Regarding the Track pkg, as Edmund’s notes, you can choose the adjustable suspension option individually and the fact is VSS adds no real value and the M Sport brakes MIGHT add $100 on a good day. CarPlay adds $25 - $50 of value to a used car. Estoril Blue is not the most common color for sure, but if you just look around on this forum you can see it’s not a rare color and it might add $50 - $100 in value. In the used market buyers are less picky about color than they are in the new market and folks in the U.S. take whatever is on the dealer’s lot more often than not.

So, whether you like it or not Edmund’s response to you is pretty much exactly the way it is. Edmund’s generally has more option choices than any other online valuation site.

In February I sold my 2018 F30 340i M Sport for almost $2,000 more than I paid 21 months prior. In July I sold my 2020 G20 M340i for $900 more than I paid four months earlier, but that included a $1,500 set of new tires.

I didn’t make my assessment of Edmund’s after using them two or three times. I’ve been using Edmund’s since they were a quarterly paperback in the 1970s.

Last edited by tturedraider; 09-06-2023 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2023, 01:26 PM   #9
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i 6MT

Quote:
lmao ok guy:

damaged car, yeah no hit on value, just as good as an un-damaged car in terms of value.

awd? who needs that? i don't, so no one else does.

i'm done arguing with you.
Yeah, sorry man, but xDrive definitely is a hit on the open market. Take a look at E90's, for example - 6MT xDrive's are far more common and go for less typically than the equivalent RWD model. More than half the country doesn't need AWD at all, and the half that does doesn't always want it. I live in Chicago and specifically sought out RWD.

Especially in the F30 where the ride height is above even the BASE suspension - xDrive is not an upgrade. I hate to burst the bubble but the market proves this is the case.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 10:19 AM   #10
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
yeah my fully loaded 6MT Xdrive 340 was appraised at $21,600... real world value my ass.
That seems about right... if not a little high...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 03:59 PM   #11
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just gonna bump this up, ‘cause a lot of listers here could benefit from this. I know the vast majority don’t believe this post, but it doesn’t take a lot of looking through the unsold listings here and in the G20 forum to confirm it’s accurate.

10-30-2023, 08:47 PM   #12
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Just gonna bump this up, ‘cause a lot of listers here could benefit from this. I know the vast majority don’t believe this post, but it doesn’t take a lot of looking through the unsold listings here and in the G20 forum to confirm it’s accurate.
Yea people are high asking for these prices. Makes it so difficult to get into one of these right now. Thanks for recommending Edmunds appraisal tool, been using it ever since you mentioned it
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2023, 02:18 AM   #13
CoopersF15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 Xdrive 40e Performance

For sure, there are some on the classifieds here that are asking far too much - and are either delusional, or need to scare off BS low ballers and tire kickers to get to more realistic selling price.

However - anyone saying Edmunds are a true and accurate independent source of vehicle pricing - you’re either not very smart, or work for Carmax. Wait…Y’all know who owns Edmunds…right???

I’ve done the appraisal for several cars using the “tool” and it’s so wrong it’s not even funny - in fact it’s willfully deceitful.

I’d pose a more realistic scenario that they are trying to lever people out of their cars at bullshit prices to create a nice pipeline to their overlord- Carmax. Who will turn around and flog it for a nice chunk higher than even their own most optimistic “outstanding” appraisal for dealer pricing, because …you guessed it…they “don’t negotiate on price”.

You can spot check it yourself. Take a few cars off car max, run their vin to get option codes and see what it spits out of its turd-machine.

CarMunds can EABOD.
      11-01-2023, 08:35 AM   #14
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopersF15 View Post
For sure, there are some on the classifieds here that are asking far too much - and are either delusional, or need to scare off BS low ballers and tire kickers to get to more realistic selling price.

However - anyone saying Edmunds are a true and accurate independent source of vehicle pricing - you’re either not very smart, or work for Carmax. Wait…Y’all know who owns Edmunds…right???

I’ve done the appraisal for several cars using the “tool” and it’s so wrong it’s not even funny - in fact it’s willfully deceitful.

I’d pose a more realistic scenario that they are trying to lever people out of their cars at bullshit prices to create a nice pipeline to their overlord- Carmax. Who will turn around and flog it for a nice chunk higher than even their own most optimistic “outstanding” appraisal for dealer pricing, because …you guessed it…they “don’t negotiate on price”.

You can spot check it yourself. Take a few cars off car max, run their vin to get option codes and see what it spits out of its turd-machine.

CarMunds can EABOD.
Apparently you’re the one who is not very smart, because you don’t seem to be able to go past the CarMax offer and get to the actual Edmund’s appraisal which is wholly unrelated to the CarMax offer and Edmund’s even tells you to compare their appraisal to the CarMax offer. Edmund’s appraisal is pretty much universally several thousand dollars more than the CarMax offer, just as it is in the screenshot I posted if you’d bothered to read all the posts in the thread rather than just posting out of your ass.

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-01-2023 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 08:05 PM   #15
CoopersF15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 Xdrive 40e Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Apparently you’re the one who is not very smart, because you don’t seem to be able to go past the CarMax offer and get to the actual Edmund’s appraisal which is wholly unrelated to the CarMax offer and Edmund’s even tells you to compare their appraisal to the CarMax offer. Edmund’s appraisal is pretty much universally several thousand dollars more than the CarMax offer, just as it is in the screenshot I posted if you’d bothered to read all the posts in the thread rather than just posting out of your ass.
Lol you’ve no idea you bell end - I’ve gone through the edmunds tool including their own appraisal, and compared to Carmax own cars on the carmax app. They’re so skewed from accurate it’s pathetic, and you’re a sucker if you think it’s accurate or unbiased. I don’t give much of a damn to take screen shots. It doesn’t matter.

You’re slaty no one wants to give you their car at stupidly low prices, and the whole thread and all your posts thereafter is pure hopium that cars you can’t afford will magically be cheaper just because you point limply at a flawed and biased pricing tool.

Get your head out of your ass, smell reality instead of shit, and get better credit. Clearly you’re blocked as you’re as much fun as cancer and I could care less about your opinion.
      11-01-2023, 09:20 PM   #16
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Trust me the feeling is mutual. What you just wrote clearly demonstrates you lack the ability to gather, process, and understand information effectively. I’m totally comfortable with my reputation for providing useful and helpful information on this forum to many members for many years. I even understand how to put someone on “ignore” rather than follow them when I don’t mean to and have to undo what I did. Ignored.