F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Mixed coolants - OAT/HOAT
Studio RSR

03-06-2024, 09:13 AM   #1
Wressell95
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 320i M Sport

Exclamation Mixed coolants - OAT/HOAT

I recently purchased a used f30 320i, 2019 b48 engine, 45k miles, full-service history.

After a couple of weeks, I got a notification saying the coolant was low so bought some HOAT coolant to top it up with, as that is the spec for the car.

After putting 2/3rd Liter into the main coolant reservoir I noticed the colour didn't quite look right to me that was inside, I took a syringe and pulled out what was in. The previous owner has put OAT coolant into my car!

So, two things, is this going to be a really big issue right now, and should it be flushed immediately, or can I wait until my service which is booked in for around a months time and ask them to flush it then?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 11:31 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Either OAT or HOAT will work, but they shouldn't be mixed. I doubt that 2/3 liter would be catastrophic, but if it was me I'd do a flush and refill with HOAT. I wouldn't pay a dealer to do it, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 08:07 PM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wressell95 View Post
I recently purchased a used f30 320i, 2019 b48 engine, 45k miles, full-service history.

After a couple of weeks, I got a notification saying the coolant was low so bought some HOAT coolant to top it up with, as that is the spec for the car.

After putting 2/3rd Liter into the main coolant reservoir I noticed the colour didn't quite look right to me that was inside, I took a syringe and pulled out what was in. The previous owner has put OAT coolant into my car!

So, two things, is this going to be a really big issue right now, and should it be flushed immediately, or can I wait until my service which is booked in for around a months time and ask them to flush it then?

Thanks!
It's fine. You can mix blue G48 with green HT12.
Attached Images

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0