F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Oil Temperature Gauge Not Working
Extreme Powerhouse

01-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #23
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Any update here? Curious to know the issues/solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #24
capocuoco
Rep
Drives: '12 335i (F30)

Update- I had a busy birthday weekend, so I'm back to problem solving.

I had it scanned at a local O'Reilly's and there was a code in there- P0128. Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature).
I did some researching about P0128. This means that the engine's powertrain control module (PCM) has detected that the engine has not reached the required temperature level within a specified amount of time after starting the engine. Often, the intent of the P0128 code is to indicate a faulty thermostat (likely stuck in the open condition).
A code P0128 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Low engine coolant level- I checked & it's fine
Leaking or stuck open thermostat (likely)- Could be
Faulty cooling fan (running too much)- I don't think so
Faulty coolant temperature (ECT) sensor- Could be
Faulty intake air temperature (IAT) sensor- ??

So is it feasible to replace the ECT first & then thermostat if that doesn't work? Has anyone done this repair or have any more info on replacing it & where it's located? I can't find exact instructions while researching.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 08:36 PM   #25
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Your approach seems logical/sensible, replace the coolant temp. sensor and go from there if necessary.

Look here https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...-unit/ITuwRrOr for instructions...but input your car's last 7 of VIN (I'm not sure I selected the correct model car).

Looks like pretty simple to do; if your unlocked instrument cluster reads properly you're probably w/new sensor you're good to go. But....I would not be
totally surprised if the thermostat is at fault/stuck open.

Let us know what transpires.
Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #26
capocuoco
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Your approach seems logical/sensible, replace the coolant temp. sensor and go from there if necessary.

Look here https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...-unit/ITuwRrOr for instructions...but input your car's last 7 of VIN (I'm not sure I selected the correct model car).

Looks like pretty simple to do; if your unlocked instrument cluster reads properly you're probably w/new sensor you're good to go. But....I would not be
totally surprised if the thermostat is at fault/stuck open.

Let us know what transpires.
Good luck/Bill

Thanks Bill. I was on that site & didn't choose the right section(s) for that repair. I guess I'm going to order an ECT sensor and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #27
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Any update in this temp gauge issue?
Thanks/Bill
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #28
Phoenix704
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermarket View Post
If the car thinks that the water temperature is too low, if anything, it’d keep the thermostat closed, not open. That means that you’d get no coolant flow through the radiator(s), even when the water’s up to temperature. There’s a pretty bad overheating hazard.

But I think that the N55 thermostat isn’t strictly electrically controlled. It does have an electrical connection, but I think the thermostat is primarily a mechanical device with electric input to tweak its operation. That makes a huge difference here. Probably no overheating risk. Probably.

The B58, which replaces the thermostat with a “heat management module,” would be a different story.
My point was that if it was malfunctioning and keeping the thermostat open, then he may have the symptoms described. If the thermostat failed in a closed position, he would likely start to overheat within a few minutes of driving, which, in this case is not happening.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #29
simonelwell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05) 30d M Sport

Does the hidden menu thing work on an F36? With digital dash...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #30
capocuoco
Rep

Hey Bill, I just got the ECT sensor in this afternoon. Going to try to do it tomorrow in my garage if I can. My garage is super small, so I might have to brave the 30 degree temps. I bought oil, oil filter, air filter & cabin filter too, so depending on time and/or weather, I have to go outside to change those anyway.
Doing some research as we speak. I'll give you a progress report tomorrow. (And most likely I'll have questions too.)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:47 PM   #31
capocuoco
Rep

[QUOTE=simonelwell;24244268]Does the hidden menu thing work on an F36? With digital dash..

Not sure about the F36, but I would assume so. It seems like a lot of BMW's have this feature. You could always try it and see if it works. I don't think you'll be hurting anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 09:01 PM   #32
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by capocuoco View Post
Hey Bill, I just got the ECT sensor in this afternoon. Going to try to do it tomorrow in my garage if I can. My garage is super small, so I might have to brave the 30 degree temps. I bought oil, oil filter, air filter & cabin filter too, so depending on time and/or weather, I have to go outside to change those anyway.
Doing some research as we speak. I'll give you a progress report tomorrow. (And most likely I'll have questions too.)
Ok good luck and stay warm!

Let's hope you don't end up have to install a new thermostat, that's not a real 'fun' job as I recall.

Bill
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #33
capocuoco
Rep

Well, I made a mistake & thought that the ECT sensor I bought was the one by the oil filter housing. I removed that sensor easily, but when I went to put the new one on, it didn't fit. I think I messed up and ordered the wrong part from FCP Euro. I checked the part# on realOEM.com and the part I ordered seems to be the oil temperature sensor.

In my defense, the part on FCP Euro says "Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor", so I thought it was the right part. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...or-13627580635 But I should have double checked the part#.

I'm off to change my oil, air filter & cabin filter, so I actually get something accomplished on my end. Then, I'm going to search more sites for this part and call around some parts stores to see if they have it. FCP doesn't carry that part for my car, which is strange...but
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #34
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've done something very similar couple years ago, oh well it happens-

Do the filters then recheck part numbers-maybe FCP will have it, if not perhaps local Dealer, tho it might be bigger bucks.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #35
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Well, I made a mistake & thought that the ECT sensor I bought was the one by the oil filter housing. I removed that sensor easily, but when I went to put the new one on, it didn't fit. I think I messed up and ordered the wrong part from FCP Euro. I checked the part# on realOEM.com and the part I ordered seems to be the oil temperature sensor.

In my defense, the part on FCP Euro says "Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor", so I thought it was the right part. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...or-13627580635 But I should have double checked the part#.
The Part No. 13627580635 is the coolant sensor. Double checked for my N55 engine and that is the part that is listed.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:28 PM   #36
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Are you trying to fit it where the oil pressure sensor is located?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:57 PM   #37
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Double check this on REAL OEM, TIS....I think you've got the OIL coolant temp. sensor which looks like it installs into the side of engine block, down below the head, on driver side....it's probably under the intake manifold.

You're having problems with the coolant water temperature reading being 'off'/stuck, am I correct?....if so you need the sensor that sends the water temp's signal to the car's brain.
Attached Images

Last edited by Wgosma; 01-16-2019 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:08 PM   #38
capocuoco
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The Part No. 13627580635 is the coolant sensor. Double checked for my N55 engine and that is the part that is listed.
That's where I think I made the mistake. I ordered it off of FCP Euro b/c it said "Engine Coolant Sensor" and it also stated that it fit my car, BUT the part I received is actually the "oil temperature sensor". I'm basing this on looking at part# on the diagrams for my model & VIN on realOEM.com.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_4451

Then, I checked newtis.com and under "Replacing coolant sensor", this is what's listed-
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...-unit/ITuwRrOr

I'm just frustrated with myself for maybe getting the wrong part. I'm confused b/c it might be the right part or not. From looking at multiple BMW parts sites, it seems that most of them label both parts "coolant temp sensor". But one is an oil temp sensor & one is a coolant temp sensor.

And/or it might be the thermostat being stuck open. I'm just trying to learn how to do some DIY repairs/maintenance myself & save a little $, but with that comes some impatience & self-inflicted aggravation. I wish there was a video somewhere that showed one and/or both of these on an N55 F30 platform.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'm probably going to have to make an appointment soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #39
capocuoco
Rep

Quote:
Double check this on REAL OEM, TIS....I think you've got the OIL coolant temp. sensor which looks like it installs into the side of engine block, down below the head, on driver side....it's probably under the intake manifold.

You're having problems with the coolant water temperature reading being 'off'/stuck, am I correct?....if so you need the sensor that sends the water temp's signal to the car's brain.
Thanks, Bill. Yes, this is the part I ordered, but I think I need the "other" sensor, part# 13621433076. At least I got the other maintenance stuff done- air filter, oil change & filter, cabin filter. I wish all repairs/maintenance were as easy as the air filter, that would be great!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #40
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Look here https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...outlet/XHoqvpd

I haven't dug up the p/n yet....but this looks like the sensor for water, it's located at the outlet of the radiator. You engine is bit more complex than my normally aspirated N52. I think look at the coolant hoses on REAL OEM....maybe that will lead you to the right part.

(We got confused as BMW now terms 'coolant temp' to mean the oil temperature, as they moved from having water temp gauges on the dash to Oil temp gauges)

Last edited by Wgosma; 01-16-2019 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:36 AM   #41
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, Bill. Yes, this is the part I ordered, but I think I need the "other" sensor, part# 13621433076. At least I got the other maintenance stuff done- air filter, oil change & filter, cabin filter. I wish all repairs/maintenance were as easy as the air filter, that would be great!
Revisiting this one, yes you are correct, you need the part you highlight.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #42
capocuoco
Rep

I think I ordered the right sensor now. Hopefully it works when it arrives. I wasted over a week by ordering the wrong part. Oh well, onward & upward.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #43
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think I ordered the right sensor now. Hopefully it works when it arrives. I wasted over a week by ordering the wrong part. Oh well, onward & upward.
So where does the sensor get installed? In radiator outlet hose or engine head/block?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 02:41 AM   #44
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So where does the sensor get installed? In radiator outlet hose or engine head/block?
It is an engine coolant sensor. Radiator temperature sensor has a different purpose.

It's fitted in the front of the cylinder head, (shown in the middle of the picture).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0