F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suspension help on 340i M Performance
ARMA SPEED

03-13-2021, 12:46 AM   #1
Morder
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Suspension help on 340i M Performance

I went for a wheel alignment at a fairly decent independent shop, the mechanic warned me I would waste money since my front left shock is leaking. I'm not one to trust mechanics, but the damn thing has been doing a squish sound, so I'm almost glad to hear that, cause I was about to change all my rotors to get rid of the sound.

Anyway, the guy quoted me 4200$ CAD for all 4 shocks as well as sway bar link kit, brackets. Job not included. I'm no expert but it sounds a little over the top for a suspension and there's no guarantee they are not worse than what I have currently.

I looked around a bit, I could get a set of aftermarket coilovers for 1200$ or else cheap out a little bit and just go for a set of front M sport struts paired with H&R springs for 750$.

It leaves me with a lot of questions though. I have no clue how suspensions work and what my car has right now. I have a 340 with the M performance package which includes steering wheel, M performance door sill, large grey caliper, 19inch wheels and many other things I can't see visually. No fender badges, no MPE. I reckon I have M sport suspension or maybe M performance? In either case, I don't think I have the adaptive one, I don't think I felt the difference between each driving mode, but in sport, the steering wheel changes dramatically.

I'm looking for help and suggestion for parts. The guy offered to install my own stuff if I bring it to him. Not really sure what I need and what would be best. Best case scenario, the ride quality is equal or better and the ride height is dropped a little to get that aggressive look without needing a protractor too often.

Last edited by Morder; 03-13-2021 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 04:43 AM   #2
Foriegnmonkey1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i RWD

You dont have m performance suspension, you have the regular m sport suspension. Since your suspension is static and non adaptive. Id recommend getting the M Performance suspension as it will be a night and day difference. DO NOT get springs it will ruin your struts. My best suggestion to you, coming from a 340i adaptive m suspension owner is get the M performance suspension with Dinan anti roll bars, your car will drastically. You dont need to drop it, or do anything else further.

I currently have the adaptive m suspension with Dinan anti roll bars and the f80 control arm upgrade and the car is bolted to the ground, super planted, corners great.

so for your car MPS+ Dinan anti roll bar + maybe f80 control arm upgrade if you want to do that.

MPS is around 1500 USD, Dinan anti roll kit is 800-900 USD. but after this you wont need anything else its about as solid as it gets
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #3
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

it is unlikely that you have m-performance suspension, your springs will be red, if you do. you most likely have the 704 sport suspension which sportline or m-sport line cars came equipped with. a vin decoder will show you exactly what you have.

if you are going to swap out your springs and dampers, i suggest going with eibach pro-kit rwd springs and koni SA dampers. this offers a compliant ride for the daily, but also sporty and composed during spirited driving, with the right amount of lowering to improve appearance.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 01:32 PM   #4
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

I'm very happy with my KW v1 coilovers. If you have to replace the struts anyways might as well get coils imho.

Why get a spring and strut combo when you can get coils and get the height adjustability.
      03-16-2021, 10:19 PM   #5
Morder
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
I'm very happy with my KW v1 coilovers. If you have to replace the struts anyways might as well get coils imho.

Why get a spring and strut combo when you can get coils and get the height adjustability.
I was thinking coil, especially for the height adjustability but I read they are very stiff even at the softest setting. It got me very hesitant, my other car is a mustang with race suspension and I can feel even the smallest bump all the way into my soul, it's so bad that I get anxious I might eventually phase through the ground into a different dimension. Don't get me wrong, the experience is amazing but I'd rather avoid my daily to be that way.

I was looking at Bilsteins, h&r springs, maybe coilovers if the difference between them and oem isn't too big. I have the springs already so coilovers are nice but I'm also looking for a replacement of the damaged suspension so a "cheap" fix would help greatly without compromising the original performance of the oem package.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 10:27 PM   #6
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

4200$ CAD for all 4 shocks... WOW!!!

This is way too expensive, I ordered my adaptive (Bilstein B4 Damptronic) shocks from Rockauto and got them shipped to Canada. I installed them myself.

If you don't have adaptive suspension, your shocks will be even cheaper.
What I suggest is to read the forum but at the end it is a matter of taste, what one person find stiff doesn't mean that the other won't find too soft.
I am very happy with bilsteins B4 and stock springs. Maybe Eibach springs in the future if I get tired of the fender gap.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 10:19 AM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I suggest to contact Chris at http://www.strutmonkey.com/ since your mechanic is willing to install whatever parts you select.

If your vehicle doesn't have M Adaptive suspension, there are many choices to improve suspension behavior.

I also echo what others said earlier: coilovers are worth considering especially KW Street Comfort coilovers.
Appreciate 0