F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Spring's with M sport suspension on 335i RWD
ARMA SPEED

02-06-2021, 10:21 PM   #1
SAMI1820
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Dinan Spring's with M sport suspension on 335i RWD

Is anyone here have replace their M sport spring with Dinan springs. How is the ride and do I need to install spacers on wheel if I do does anyone knows what size of spacers would I need
      02-07-2021, 11:28 AM   #2
JWoody
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi M-Package

I swapped in the Dinan springs a few years ago on my '14 F30 335i with the staggered wheels, 403M. Didn't use spacers. I'm also on the Adaptive Suspension.

If your stock setup wheel/tire wise you should be fine.

-J
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI1820 View Post
Is anyone here have replace their M sport spring with Dinan springs. How is the ride and do I need to install spacers on wheel if I do does anyone knows what size of spacers would I need
I would do Eibach springs rather than Dinan for two reasons. Dinan are about 30% stiffer than stock so they will stiffen the ride considerably and make it less comfortable unless that's what you want. And Dinan usually drop the same amount all around so they don't improve reverse rake.

Eibach springs are usually about 10% stiffer so they are closer to stock comfort. And Eibach drop front more than the rear so they look better.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
cfm56d7b5886.00
      02-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #4
SAMI1820
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWoody View Post
I swapped in the Dinan springs a few years ago on my '14 F30 335i with the staggered wheels, 403M. Didn't use spacers. I'm also on the Adaptive Suspension.

If your stock setup wheel/tire wise you should be fine.

-J
Thank you yes I am running a stock setup with 19" staggered and M sport suspension so I should be good thanks.
      02-07-2021, 04:04 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I would do Eibach springs rather than Dinan for two reasons. Dinan are about 30% stiffer than stock so they will stiffen the ride considerably and make it less comfortable unless that's what you want. And Dinan usually drop the same amount all around so they don't improve reverse rake.

Eibach springs are usually about 10% stiffer so they are closer to stock comfort. And Eibach drop front more than the rear so they look better.
Another vote for Eibach springs if the vehicle is a daily driver.
Appreciate 2
johnung4528.00
      02-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #6
daxtor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 335i

I am on Dinan springs with stock adaptive dampers (but with Shockware flash). The ride is definitely firmer, but I wouldn't call it harsh. My wife and my daughter don't complain about it at all.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2021, 12:43 PM   #7
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI1820 View Post
If you search around on the forums you will find a listing of spring load (in pounds) for about half a dozen makes of spring including BMW, Dinan, Eibach. The numbers vary a little but are close enough to call them equivalent (e.g. 500 lbs vs 528 lbs). One frustrating aspect of the BMW ratings was that it was not clear if the lowest rated spring was for 'Regular' or 'Sport'. Performance springs are usually listed separately. Anyway, the list (which includes Dinan) will give you an absolute load rating. How that translates into ride is going to be subjective so try to get as many opinions as you can, for your car, and, even better, your roads.

Initially I was leaning toward the Dinan + bumpstop combo but there were two aspects that have me re-thinking the solution. 1. For xDrive, it seems the Dinan spring will give the car a reverse rake. This seems counter intuitive for performance springs or for springs in general. A car is either flat or the nose dips a bit. Nose in the air and a$$ down? There has to be more to the story. 2. As mentioned, opinions on product X on local roads is ideal. I drive in a city with street car tracks, and while I don't intentionally seek them out, I do encounter them at some point in a downtown journey. Some Dinan users mentioned the springs can feel harsh driving in this environment. I'm not taking Dinans off my list just yet but have spent considerable time looking at dampers.
Appreciate 1