F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Reliability mods for stage 1
ARMA SPEED

08-19-2022, 05:31 AM   #1
GA/\/\/\/\A_CT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘20 m340ix

Reliability mods for stage 1

This forum has been a wealth of information. Love you guys.

What mods do you recommend for longevity of the turbo and motor when running stage 1?

For example, I have 59k miles and run BM3 stage 1 and also installed a catted downpipe to relieve some backpressure on the turbo, hoping it would run a little cooler. I changed spark plugs (OEM) and upgraded to 550i clutch (6spd), too.

I am next planning:

Coil packs
Injectors
Vanos solenoids
B58TU pump

Are there other mods or maintenance that can be done outside of oil changes?

For example, would a bigger heat exchanger help longevity of the motor? Dinan intake or turbo inlet?

I want this motor to last me at least 120k miles!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 06:36 AM   #2
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

A B58TU pump is certainly not a "longevity upgrade" - just the opposite - it introduces another potential safety risk due to the increased safety valve pressure (you can read about it or watch Kevin's HPFP comparison video). You should not do that unless you plan to run Stage 2+.

In my opinion you have already done #1 hardware upgrade - upgraded (high-flow) DP.

IMO the best way to protect your tune engine is to select a map which runs comfortably and with plenty of safety margins with your fuel and engine. Meaning - log, log, log! Pushing the tune close to the edge of what the fuel can offer is not a good idea in the long run, no matter what hardware changes you make and how well you maintain.

Also make sure you never push your car hard whilst still warming up and avoid heat-soaking.

Just my 2 cents.
      08-19-2022, 09:44 AM   #3
Bootboot340
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i 6mt Stage 1

My 2016 340i 6mt is at 109k miles. I've done almost 70k in 2.5 years. Only issue has been the emergency call malfunction, a common issue i hear. BM3 stage one for about 50k with no other upgrades or issues. Get an occasional clutch error, usually when on throttle and hitting a bump in the road. I have a catted downpipe, TU pump and plugs to go on soon. Then I'll go stage 2+ 91. Maybe try e for fun. I will go with the 550 clutch when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 05:01 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

None of the mods mentioned is a must, to be honest, especially if the stock ones aren't causing any issues.

But a bigger heat exchanger will reduce the temps, which is always a good thing; larger inlets will improve airflow, reducing the stress on your turbo. Both mods will help with reliability on higher mileage cars.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0