F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > New LCI X7 Ordered
proTUNING Freaks

08-18-2022, 07:55 AM   #1
NickP X7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

New LCI X7 Ordered

Hi all,

I didn't like to hijack Mr Burt's post about his new defender by posting about the X7 I have an order. So I thought I'd make a separate thread about it as it seemed to generate a little bit of interest. Plus the X7 forum is 99% members from over the states, and so thought posting in here might be of interest to UK members.

Full spec is 4.0D M Sport, Brooklyn Grey with Tartufo merino interior. The only option is privacy glass as the standard spec is pretty decent. I would have probably gone with the driving assistance plus option too but you can't have that without ordering the B&W sound system as well, and the total of those just blew the budget on the contract hire budget I'd set myself, so I look forward to seeing what the standard car is like to live with.

Why the X7? well I did originally have an X5 on order which was due for delivery next month to replace my current RR Velar but following the arrival of our baby son a couple of months ago we were worried that even a car the size of the X5 might not be big enough boot wise taking into account the 30kg labrador we have. This was proved right when we went to try the X5 a few weeks ago and realised the boot was too small for the pram and the dog.

I'd also speculatively ordered the new Range Rover Sport as we really wanted a hybrid model with a larger boot that the X5 offered, but that order is being cancelled due to the unknown delivery timescale and also because the price looks like it will change several times before delivery. Even though we have an agreed signed contract hire deal Land Rover will no longer price protect any deals and price rises (there's already been one since I ordered) will be reflected in an increased monthly payment once delivery takes place. So there's no telling what we would be paying when it finally arrived

Hence the X7 .... it gives us all the space we will ever need, and will be really useful transporting everyone when the in-laws fly over to visit. We luckily got to try one of the pre-lci versions for a week and yes it's huge, but actually when you're driving it doesn't feel unwieldy, it just feels so smooth. Only time it was an issue for us was multi storey parking spaces, it does have a bit of an overhang. The good thing about all the messing around with orders is that when we switched over to ordering the X7 a couple of weeks ago it means we're getting the new LCI version, with the updated front end and the new dashboard which I'm really looking forward to trying out. Delivery looks to be end of next month/start of October. We thought we'd have months to wait but the dealer amended an order already in the system so looks like it could be one of the first on the road in the country

Pics of the spec below (ours will have interior black headliner)

Appreciate 11
Tengocity8566.00
KRS_SN13510.50
D69GMB463.00
mikeoz2856.00
JustChris17485.50
Rbrown2765.50
Scoobyd1954.50
sahajesh2294.00
six377.00
Rathian153.50
      08-18-2022, 08:29 AM   #2
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Very nice Nick, and more importantly congratulations on the arrival of your baby son!

I came oh-so-close to X7 ownership, hence my interest in the car. I'd chosen a Discovery over a X5 in 2019, which was a fairly straightforward decision. When I rejected that first Disco, the X7 was now on the market and it was agonising choosing between the two. Cost identical and practicality similar so it largely came down to subjectives. In the end I got another Disco in 2020.

The X7 is still the BMW that appeals the most to me, I think that they really nailed the brief of a luxurious family transport.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
mikeoz2856.00
six377.00
      08-18-2022, 08:58 AM   #3
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I too like the X7, and a recent convert to the benefits of proper large SUVs!

We don't need 7 seats particularly, but having them has already priced useful in thr month we've had our Disco 4.

As you mentioned in the other thread, there is absolutely nothing on the market which offers this kind of size in a hybrid or BEV format, which feels like a bit of a gap in the market.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 11:42 AM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Great car and look forward to delivery pics.
      08-18-2022, 11:45 AM   #5
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Apart from the colour, very nice!
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2294.00
      08-18-2022, 02:23 PM   #6
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Looks nice - very lucky to get it next month as well in the current climate!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 03:13 PM   #7
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

That's a lovely spec. Do like the tartfuo leather. Look forward to seeing the real world pics once it arrives!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 06:41 PM   #8
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quite a radical lci especially the front end and the idrive with all touch screen. Would absolutely stand out on the road with great presence as the pre lci did look not that different from an x5 not so now.
Hope you don't mind me saying this but I would absolutely want DAP in a long distance family cruiser like the X7. My x5 doesn't have DAP.and i'd love to have it. Most pre LCI x7 models seemed to have this but bmw seem to have gotten greedy bundling it with other high cost options now.
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2294.00
      08-19-2022, 08:53 AM   #9
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Thanks for posting and congratulations on the X7, looks lovely! I'm looking to change my X5 and the X7 is an option. I too was sure I'd end up with the new RRS but I have to say the wait and price uncertainty is just too irritating TBH.

I don't really want a new X5 now as there will be an LCI next year so it does mean the X7 would be the way if I want something this year. It's all the same as the X5 apart from being a bit longer giving a bit more leg room for the second row as well as the bigger boot. Like you the BMW option packs are causing me a headache though. I really want driving assistant as I have it on my X5 and for the most part I've really appreciated it. Takes the stress out of traffic queues and so on. But why on earth must you have B&W to get it I have no interest in B&W, I really wish they'd ditch the option bundling or perhaps give the choice of individual options or a pack.

So last few weeks I've been looking at the Cayenne and while the pricing is pretty mad because Porsche allows individual options you can pick and choose only the bits you really want/need so bizarrely I can spec up a Cayenne to be ball park of what I'd pay for a new X5 similar to mine. Previously BMW would have given a nice discount, now almost nothing and over 5% APR makes the Cayenne look to be the stronger option
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2022, 11:57 AM   #10
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

New LCI X7 Ordered

Cheers Nick P - I'm considering one when my X5 goes back (or sooner if other things allow).

I'll go full spec as per my X5 and probably add Exec Drive as well - for me, the larger carrying capacity plus occasional 6-7 seat use (saves using two cars when we go out with other people) are the good features.

Is it any more luxurious than a well-specced X5 with Merino, I'm not sure.

If they're in the showrooms, I'll take a look at one there
Appreciate 1
mikeoz2856.00
      08-19-2022, 05:39 PM   #11
NickP X7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Apart from the colour, very nice!
😂 beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Plus Brooklyn grey is an exclusive colour to the m sport versions so I thought why the hell not
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 05:46 PM   #12
NickP X7
Private
Rep

The LR discovery was on my original list of car options back in February when I first ordered the X5 but at that point discoverys we’re being ordered without the interactive display and we’re coming with mechanical dials again, no HUD could be ordered etc etc plus the wait time was nearly 12 months so we discounted it. We discounted it again recently because of the lack of price protection and still long wait time.
Shame really as it really is a do everything car and we liked the especially high driving position.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 05:53 PM   #13
NickP X7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Quite a radical lci especially the front end and the idrive with all touch screen. Would absolutely stand out on the road with great presence as the pre lci did look not that different from an x5 not so now.
Hope you don't mind me saying this but I would absolutely want DAP in a long distance family cruiser like the X7. My x5 doesn't have DAP.and i'd love to have it. Most pre LCI x7 models seemed to have this but bmw seem to have gotten greedy bundling it with other high cost options now.
The DAP is one the thing I’ve spent most time considering, but the option price is just ridiculous, and my other concern was just how much I’d use it. The demo car I tried had it on, but I found myself constantly adjusting the distance as it just didn’t seem to flow right. Probably after an extended period of time I would have found the right settings but it just didn’t leap out to me and say I must have this. I would have liked the blind spot warning system though and frankly it should be standard nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 05:55 PM   #14
NickP X7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Thanks for posting and congratulations on the X7, looks lovely! I'm looking to change my X5 and the X7 is an option. I too was sure I'd end up with the new RRS but I have to say the wait and price uncertainty is just too irritating TBH.

I don't really want a new X5 now as there will be an LCI next year so it does mean the X7 would be the way if I want something this year. It's all the same as the X5 apart from being a bit longer giving a bit more leg room for the second row as well as the bigger boot. Like you the BMW option packs are causing me a headache though. I really want driving assistant as I have it on my X5 and for the most part I've really appreciated it. Takes the stress out of traffic queues and so on. But why on earth must you have B&W to get it I have no interest in B&W, I really wish they'd ditch the option bundling or perhaps give the choice of individual options or a pack.

So last few weeks I've been looking at the Cayenne and while the pricing is pretty mad because Porsche allows individual options you can pick and choose only the bits you really want/need so bizarrely I can spec up a Cayenne to be ball park of what I'd pay for a new X5 similar to mine. Previously BMW would have given a nice discount, now almost nothing and over 5% APR makes the Cayenne look to be the stronger option
Honestly this is almost 100% the converstions we’ve had in our household. We did consider the cayenne, but on contract hire the rates aren’t great especially with all the option packages etc. if I was buying then I think this would have had a much closer inspection. The new platinum edition looks good value.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 06:41 PM   #15
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP X7 View Post
The DAP is one the thing I’ve spent most time considering, but the option price is just ridiculous, and my other concern was just how much I’d use it. The demo car I tried had it on, but I found myself constantly adjusting the distance as it just didn’t seem to flow right. Probably after an extended period of time I would have found the right settings but it just didn’t leap out to me and say I must have this. I would have liked the blind spot warning system though and frankly it should be standard nowadays.

Re blind spot monitor many other brand cars have it so wonder why its not standard on x5/7 etc.
Re option cost of bundling DAP and B and W. Wonder if its greed or result of the semiconductor shortage.
With me having done just under 30k miles on the x5 in the 2 years since purchase do think maybe I'd have used DAP for a few thousand miles but then maybe I'd have never used it at all just like the reverse assistant/parking assistant etc which I don't use/scared to.
My friend has an x7 (20reg). He does frequent trips to London from Glasgow with his mrs and 4 kids to see family down there and DAP really helps him. I guess if the anticipated mileage is huge it has some significance.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 03:46 AM   #16
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:

Plus Brooklyn grey is an exclusive colour to the m sport versions so I thought why the hell not
You will get used to TouringPleb and his aversion to anything grey, its not personal!

As Grey's go, Brooklyn looks a good one and at least you have some colour inside!
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2022, 12:14 PM   #17
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

You will get used to TouringPleb and his aversion to anything grey, its not personal!

As Grey's go, Brooklyn looks a good one and at least you have some colour inside!
No such thing as a 'good' grey!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 12:45 PM   #18
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
No such thing as a 'good' grey!
He prefers Blue Lines...thin ones...
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2022, 09:29 AM   #19
SimonBMW1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series

I do like this LCI shape. I guess with all BMW designs you accept it. The big grills actually suit this one.
Good to see they have kept the idrive as a touch and button based system.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 10:29 AM   #20
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

A car of this size should only come in BLACK (says the guy that doesn't have 100K for a car - doh)

The X's are growing on me since having my first kid, but i'm keeping my mind busy with fast estates.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 05:33 PM   #21
NickP X7
Private
Rep

Well this happened today....

I've literally only had chance to do a couple of miles in it, but my instant reaction is BMW have nailed this one. The sheer level of comfort twinned with some great technology has me smiling like a Cheshire cat. iDrive 8 is a big leap forward.

I'll get some proper pics of the beast this weekend, and do a full review, but this is a cracking car BMW have built.
Appreciate 12
isleaiw18759.00
JustChris17485.50
Rathian153.50
mikeoz2856.00
KRS_SN13510.50
Scoobyd1954.50
dazzapb1050.00
G50954.50
sahajesh2294.00
allachie91334.00
      10-08-2022, 02:16 AM   #22
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Congrats Nick. Awesome looking vehicle there.