F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > B58 Valve Cover Replacement
GetBMWParts

08-31-2021, 02:29 AM   #1
labitd
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Unhappy B58 Valve Cover Replacement

Can anyone share the process in replacing a valve cover on a B58 engine(2016 340i) including any torque settings and spots sealant is needed?

Background of my situation: I recently finished a move from one side of the country to the other around 3k miles total. My car is bootmod3 stage 2 93 octane, with an open air intake and catless downpipe. During my trip about half way through my car started smoking out of the exhaust. I had a diagnostic done and the tech said that my valve cover assembly had failed but he couldn't recreate the event and so it should be fine to continue with my trip. Which it was until about 40 miles from my new place. The smoke started again, and progressively got worse. I barely made it home, with my car starting to misfire about a mile away from my destination.

The misfiring I assume was caused by the oil that was entering in the cylinders and fouling up my spark plugs. After some research I have found that I am not alone in this situation and many other have had this happen.
Commonly people report that the diaphragm in the Crank case vent was the issue and to replace that. So I did and behold I found a cracked diaphragm. I also replaced the sparkplugs.. The car is still running rough and I am still getting tons of smoke coming out of the car when it warms up.

Follow on, does anyone have any advice to my situation? Do you think after running the engine with oil coming into the cylinders for 50 miles that I would need to replace more than just the valve cover? injector rings? injectors themselves?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 08:17 PM   #2
labitd
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by labitd View Post
Can anyone share the process in replacing a valve cover on a B58 engine(2016 340i) including any torque settings and spots sealant is needed?

Background of my situation: I recently finished a move from one side of the country to the other around 3k miles total. My car is bootmod3 stage 2 93 octane, with an open air intake and catless downpipe. During my trip about half way through my car started smoking out of the exhaust. I had a diagnostic done and the tech said that my valve cover assembly had failed but he couldn't recreate the event and so it should be fine to continue with my trip. Which it was until about 40 miles from my new place. The smoke started again, and progressively got worse. I barely made it home, with my car starting to misfire about a mile away from my destination.

The misfiring I assume was caused by the oil that was entering in the cylinders and fouling up my spark plugs. After some research I have found that I am not alone in this situation and many other have had this happen.
Commonly people report that the diaphragm in the Crank case vent was the issue and to replace that. So I did and behold I found a cracked diaphragm. I also replaced the sparkplugs.. The car is still running rough and I am still getting tons of smoke coming out of the car when it warms up.

Follow on, does anyone have any advice to my situation? Do you think after running the engine with oil coming into the cylinders for 50 miles that I would need to replace more than just the valve cover? injector rings? injectors themselves?
Bump. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 08:45 PM   #3
CoolATIGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 340i 6MT xDrive

Did you figure anything out here?
Appreciate 0