F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New owner of a 2013 335i Sedan w/ 70k miles
Extreme Powerhouse

11-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #1
Str8ghtSix
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

New owner of a 2013 335i Sedan w/ 70k miles

Hello everyone. I've been lurking around these forums for a while, and I just purchased a 2013 Black Sapphire Metallic 335i two weeks ago. See pics attached below.

This is my first BMW. I come from an Infiniti G37 sport package sedan. So far I really like my 335i, and I plan to keep it for many years way past 100k miles. I'm not much of a DIY guy, but I am big on preventative maintenance. I already found an independent bmw shop in my area that I like. This car hasn't been in any accidents and has had regular oil changes, and service at the dealer. There are no oil leaks. This car is fully loaded with the heads up display, Harmon kardon system, cameras, etc, except it's missing the paddle shifters and the sport seats w/ the thigh extensions which I really wish I found. But this car does have the black interior I wanted.

Apparently my car has the M sport blacked out kidney grill, and 18" M sport wheels which is cool. I'm not sure if the previous owner put these on or they were done at the factory.

The previous owner already had the plastic oem charge pipe replaced with an aluminum charge pipe at a very reputable independent bmw shop so I don't have to worry about that.

So far I've replaced the battery with a new AGM battery, fuse #66 to fix no power coming from the front socket power outlet, and I've changed the engine oil and filter with LIQUI MOLY SPECIAL TEC LL 5W-30 & a Mann Filter.

My plans for the car include the following;

*iDrive, Map, and vehicle software update*

*Trans fluid drain and refill (new ZF Lifeguard 8 fluid, trans oil pan, and filter)*

*Rear differential fluid drain and refill (Liqui Moly 75W90 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil)*

*Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires*

*Hoen H8 yellow endurance fog lights*

*BMW floating wheel center caps*

I was debating between getting a Audi A4, MercedesC class, Lexus IS 350, 335i or an Infiniti Q50.

Everyone, what are your tips and advice for a first time BMW / Euro car owner??? Again I come from the world of Infiniti, Acura, and Lexus.

What's the best way to get my vehicle software updated???

What are the best bmw parts websites for discount genuine oem parts????

Will I destroy transmission by doing the drain & refill @ 70k miles using the ZF trans service kit. Pic attached below.
Attached Images

Last edited by Str8ghtSix; 11-01-2019 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
obert1781.00
      11-01-2019, 11:35 PM   #2
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MY2017

so far, i see all the preventative maintenance had been done including charge pipe. car should last long..

for software update, I'm sure there is a bmw website that you can put your VIN down and download it. put it into usb and plug into the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:41 AM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8ghtSix View Post
Hello everyone. I've been lurking around these forums for a while, and I just purchased a 2013 Black Sapphire Metallic 335i two weeks ago. See pics attached below.

This is my first BMW. I come from an Infiniti G37 sport package sedan. So far I really like my 335i, and I plan to keep it for many years way past 100k miles. I'm not much of a DIY guy, but I am big on preventative maintenance. I already found an independent bmw shop in my area that I like. This car hasn't been in any accidents and has had regular oil changes, and service at the dealer. There are no oil leaks. This car is fully loaded with the heads up display, Harmon kardon system, cameras, etc, except it's missing the paddle shifters and the sport seats w/ the thigh extensions which I really wish I found. But this car does have the black interior I wanted.

Apparently my car has the M sport blacked out kidney grill, and 18" M sport wheels which is cool. I'm not sure if the previous owner put these on or they were done at the factory.

The previous owner already had the plastic oem charge pipe replaced with an aluminum charge pipe at a very reputable independent bmw shop so I don't have to worry about that.

So far I've replaced the battery with a new AGM battery, fuse #66 to fix no power coming from the front socket power outlet, and I've changed the engine oil and filter with LIQUI MOLY SPECIAL TEC LL 5W-30 & a Mann Filter.

My plans for the car include the following;

*iDrive, Map, and vehicle software update*

*Trans fluid drain and refill (new ZF Lifeguard 8 fluid, trans oil pan, and filter)*

*Rear differential fluid drain and refill (Liqui Moly 75W90 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil)*

*Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires*

*Hoen H8 yellow endurance fog lights*

*BMW floating wheel center caps*

I was debating between getting a Audi A4, MercedesC class, Lexus IS 350, 335i or an Infiniti Q50.

Everyone, what are your tips and advice for a first time BMW / Euro car owner??? Again I come from the world of Infiniti, Acura, and Lexus.

What's the best way to get my vehicle software updated???

What are the best bmw parts websites for discount genuine oem parts????

Will I destroy transmission by doing the drain & refill @ 70k miles using the ZF trans service kit. Pic attached below.
Congrats on your car! Great choice! I've got a 2015.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Definitely do the trans service with the ZF kit from FCP Euro. They have best price on it. Have someone experienced do it. It's not difficult but it's a very specific temperature sensitive procedure that a novice could screw up.

FCP Euro is fine for replacement parts or google part number and see who comes up. I use GetBMWParts website (a discount dealer in MD) to keep my rip-off local dealer honest on very specific dealer only type parts. Kies Motorsports videos on YouTube will teach you a lot.

Your CP is done so top maintenance issue taken care of. For #2, keep an eye on gasket for oil filter casting at front of engine. Replace immediately at any sign of oil leak to prevent potential damage later.

Change spark plugs every 60k. Stock Bosch w stock gap is fine. NGKs only if you ever do Stage2 tune and mods. I'd probably change coolant every 60k too.

Change brake fluid every two years for safety. At next change have them install StopTech stainless steel brake lines, about $106. Much better brake pedal feel. When you need pads, Hawk 5.0 are better than stock pads in every way. Rotors, go with Zimmermann- German made better than BMW because they are also zinc coated against rust at a fraction of dealer price.

You don't say where u r from for tire climate. If you are going to ditch runflats then don't go halfway with all seasons. They are decent in all categories but great in none. Go with Summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Amazing dry and wet. For winter/under 40 degree Fahrenheit seasons go with Michelin X-Ice i3 for excellent handling cold compound in dry or wet and excellent in snow. Quieter than Blizzak. For heavy snow areas, Blizzak WS90 are best.

Assuming a stock square setup with 18x8.0" wheels, stock 225/45-18 size is fine for winter tires because wider tend to float over snow instead of digging through it controllably. But for summer go with either 245/40-18 for best handling or 245/45-18 for best comfort plus fills up wheel wells a little more for a dropped look.

Same thing when shocks need changing. Koni Special Actives are a good choice. Also Bilstein. A mild drop spring (~3/4") like Eibach can replace worn out stock springs for a better ride combined with the new shocks but without the added harshness/stiffness of most spring kits.

That's my advice for maintenance oriented stuff as you requested. Plenty of other ideas if you decide to get into mods. See Kies videos for lots of ideas too!

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2019, 04:22 AM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Just curios if any on here have experienced a transmission failure. I hear about charge pipe failures and hpfp failures on stock cars but never transmission which bmw says is lifetime fill weather people did that or left it alone since it is sealed. Though apparently zf says it should be serviced.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Just curios if any on here have experienced a transmission failure. I hear about charge pipe failures and hpfp failures on stock cars but never transmission which bmw says is lifetime fill weather people did that or left it alone since it is sealed. Though apparently zf says it should be serviced.
I'll let you know if mine blows. It's been 2 months since the drain/refill.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #6
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Transmissions don't just suddenly fail without a clue. The problem is most people don't realize their transmission is slowly shifting poorly until it's too late. Changing the fluid is vital to keep it operating well. The manufacturer recommends it. Every other transmission ever made has require transmission service. The ZF 8HP is more advanced, but still uses the same basic principles as any automatic transmission requiring some type of transmission fluid that loses its properties as it wears. I've had one older automatic BMW with a ZF 6HP which was actually the direct predecessor and very similar to the ZF 8HP. Regular fluid changes on that makes a world of difference in shifting feel. If you drive a car with a new tranny and a car with a 'lifetime' fluid tranny, you'll notice how much worse the old one shifts.
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2019, 11:25 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
That lifetime fill will probably get the transmission to 100k miles before catastrophic failure. But doing the transmission pan/filter/fluid service every 50k-60k miles would probably make the transmission last 2x-3x as long. But then again BMW is in the business of selling cars that last at least through the warranty period and not in the business of setting automotive longevity records. Hence the "lifetime" fluids. All depends on how the word "lifetime" is defined
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 02:42 AM   #8
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
That lifetime fill will probably get the transmission to 100k miles before catastrophic failure. But doing the transmission pan/filter/fluid service every 50k-60k miles would probably make the transmission last 2x-3x as long. But then again BMW is in the business of selling cars that last at least through the warranty period and not in the business of setting automotive longevity records. Hence the "lifetime" fluids. All depends on how the word "lifetime" is defined
I just haven't seen any posts of anyone having to replace a failed transmission at all and how much that costed them. I've seen plenty of posts of other things breaking. And these are cars that are often driven hard and not grannied. So you would think that would be something that would happen often. Also, is the 6MT also a sealed unit with lifetime fill? Haven't heard much of either transmission failing even in highly modified cars with stock transmission, or even ones with bootmod transmission.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #9
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My car has had the transmission replaced under warranty. No idea why it was replaced and was done under the previous ownership.
Appreciate 0