F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DINANTRONICS tune now available for 335i, 435i, 535i Electronic Wastegate
GetBMWParts

09-09-2014, 05:15 AM   #23
tiber
Poland
Rep
Drives: 435xi

Can I install it to EU spec cars or this works only with NA spec cars?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #24
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
The price is exclusive of installation - and you are supposed to have it done at a Dinan dealer or BMW Dealership that is Dinan-affiliated or friendly. Probably 1 hour's labor.

Like a previous poster, I'm quite a ways from the closest Dinan dealership here in NC, so until they have their MPPK-friendly version, I won't be tempted to add this, although my previous E92 was Dinan S3-equipped and I was really pleased with the results.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #25
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiber View Post
Can I install it to EU spec cars or this works only with NA spec cars?
It has not been tested on an EU spec car. Steve expressed interest in trying it out but that opportunity has never come to fruition. If anyone in the bay area has a Euro Spec car they want to test it out on let us know and we can help each other.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #26
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
Does the price on the website include installation, or is that an extra cost? If it is included, then the price is pretty close to the MPPK so definitely helps in the decision. I've never worked with a Dinan dealer before so not sure how they work.

I do not have a Dinan dealer anywhere I can take my car (Hawaii). Is this something that I can do myself? Or am I just out of luck?
Price is not inclusive of installation which through an authorized dealer would be an hour and a half.

Since you do not have an authorized dealer in Hawaii you certainly could have a local BMW shop install it for you as long as you are comfortable with that. Or you could install it yourself if you are feeling up to it. We supply detailed instructions on how to install the unit/harness so as long as you are comfortable with doing that, that is also a solution. Installation mostly requires simple hand tools but you will also need to have the ability to clear codes during one phase of installation in order for the unit to run correctly. Please feel free to call one of our sales reps for any further information if this is something you wish to pursue.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #27
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
How much longer until the MPPK-compatible version is available?

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #28
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
The goal is to have it available in the next 60 days. What the actual timetable is, is yet to be determined. Perhaps everything goes smoothly and very little tweaking is needed and it will be available in 30 days or the complete opposite could happen and a major snag/problem occurs and that 60 days turns into 90 days. Sorry about the vague response but the engineering side of the building has always been a fickle bunch and the engineer credo of "it's done when it's done" doesn't lend itself to hard dates.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #29
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
The goal is to have it available in the next 60 days. What the actual timetable is, is yet to be determined. Perhaps everything goes smoothly and very little tweaking is needed and it will be available in 30 days or the complete opposite could happen and a major snag/problem occurs and that 60 days turns into 90 days. Sorry about the vague response but the engineering side of the building has always been a fickle bunch and the engineer credo of "it's done when it's done" doesn't lend itself to hard dates.
Better than shipping a product that is not ready just to meet an abstract time table. Thanks for the great information.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #30
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
If you're like me, you're only going to want it if it's "stackable" with the PPK. The Youtube vid from last year showed Steve dynoing an old (320 hp) PPK on a 335i N55 that resulted in 336 hp (15% drivetrain loss) and 377 tq. Our new (335 hp) PPK yields even higher figures, I'm sure.

Let' hope for a 60 hp bump with Dinan on top of our 335 (really about 350) hp cars!
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #31
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsche View Post
If you're like me, you're only going to want it if it's "stackable" with the PPK. The Youtube vid from last year showed Steve dynoing an old (320 hp) PPK on a 335i N55 that resulted in 336 hp (15% drivetrain loss) and 377 tq. Our new (335 hp) PPK yields even higher figures, I'm sure.

Let' hope for a 60 hp bump with Dinan on top of our 335 (really about 350) hp cars!
Can someone provide clarification (and an engineering explanation) as to why these two mods have the potential to "stack" gains?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #32
Webic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

My 435GC is at the port in the US waiting to get shipped to the dealer. This thread allowed me to switch from getting the MPPK to the Dinan Stage 1 kit, so thanks for that.

My question, once installed, how does a driver validate that it has been installed properly and is active? Is there any documentation that the dealer will provide me once it is installed? Any light or dash indication that it is working?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #33
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

i am pretty skeptical that you can stack this, if you could stack it dinan would just do it from the get go on their product. if i am not mistaken they are manipulating boost, timing, etc to have the car push it past stock values all while the stock ecu thinks its within normal operating values. i think the only reason dinan doesnt go further is that at some point they dont think its safe with stock components.

take the jb4, the different maps are based around the fact that you need to start changing out hardware to take advantage of them. if you didnt need a dp for map 2 we would see the same values set for map 1...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #34
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webic View Post
My question, once installed, how does a driver validate that it has been installed properly and is active? Is there any documentation that the dealer will provide me once it is installed? Any light or dash indication that it is working?
I would encourage you to contact your dealer and have them let you know when they take the vehicle in (DINANTRONICS will not be installed at the port but at the dealer). That way you can do 2 things if desired. Get a quick drive in your stock car to compare to and secondly you can observe the device being installed / the tech can show you that it is installed. There will be a blue light on the box itself within the engine bay when it is installed but other than that there is no real indicator. Once the app's are released you will have a more definitive way of checking but that is a ways out yet.

Ideally a comparison before and after drive I think is really what you should be looking for. The butt dyno is important. Even if they don't let you do your car beforehand for whatever reason you could still request a test drive of another stock 435 on the lot to compare to. The tech more often than not does this same test anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #35
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
but you will also need to have the ability to clear codes during one phase of installation .
Can't the unit clear codes?

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #36
Webic
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
There will be a blue light on the box itself within the engine bay when it is installed but other than that there is no real indicator. Once the app's are released you will have a more definitive way of checking but that is a ways out yet.
Have any pictures of it installed that you can include on your website on in this thread, so we know what to look for after the units are installed?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #37
Overshotgolem
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328! 2013

Thanks for the info , I can wait for the end of the year to see results. For the n20 engine , been waiting for sometime now for upgrades
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #38
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webic View Post
Have any pictures of it installed that you can include on your website on in this thread, so we know what to look for after the units are installed?
The picture really won't help you all that much though as the thing disguises into the rest of the BMW OE cabling and parts extremely well (it is after all made of the same OE stuff. The box itself differs in location on every vehicle depending on how the harness routing is accomplished. Typically however it is right next to the factory ECU. In general you would never really notice it unless you knew what you were looking for.

Don't have a 3354 image handy but as an example here is the engine bay of an F10 M5

Can you tell where the thing is? Doubtful. In this particular cars case it is in the upper left corner where the hood and windshield meet.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:20 PM   #39
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Can't the unit clear codes?
Short answer is no.

Long answer is it wasn't designed to clear codes. One of the largest differences between a Dinan tune and most others is we don't create faults/codes so there is no reason to integrate the functionality to clear them. Just like software in previous generations we are after factory like drivability just with more 'oomph' and full integration with BMW parts and software is paramount in accomplishing that. Most other tunes rely on targeting specific signals related to boost pressure and alter those specific signals ONLY, thereby setting off codes/faults and letting the factory ECU adjust every other related parameter accordingly. We would argue that this 'reactive' adjustment hinders the drivability of a BMW that they are known for. While drivability is a subjective term a smooth delivery of increased power throughout the RPM range is nearly always the first comment someone who drives a Dinan vehicle mentions and in essence is what drivability is all about. Usable power with no hiccups, stutters, lurches or anything of that sort; just smooth power that seemingly keeps going. While the 'reactive' method works the fact remains that we see drivability suffering in addition to codes/faults constantly being set and then cleared so no CEL is given even though there is one. This is unacceptable to Dinan as it is basically skirting factory safeguards that has been put in place by BMW. Dinan on the other hand takes a 'proactive' approach and looks at / or interfaces with all related signals so no faults/codes are ever set so that the previously mentioned drivability can be given. This also ensures no CEL's will be given (visible or hidden) and the factory safeguards are still in place and usable.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #40
Webic
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The picture really won't help you all that much though as the thing disguises into the rest of the BMW OE cabling and parts extremely well (it is after all made of the same OE stuff. The box itself differs in location on every vehicle depending on how the harness routing is accomplished. Typically however it is right next to the factory ECU. In general you would never really notice it unless you knew what you were looking for.
Thanks for the response. I look forward to getting your product installed whenever BMW remembers to actually ship my car from the VPC to the dealer.

...and of course I'll report in with my butt dyno impressions over stock once I get it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #41
GuidoDoc
GuidoDoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler JKU

Garage List
E90?

Will this option become available for e90 with n55 engine?

Why did you guys go this method (piggyback) vs the stage 2&3 DME flash you offer for previous models?
      09-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #42
335ddd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D SE

Quote:
We're really happy to be back on the Bimmerpost forum and also are excited to announce new applications for the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner, with the goal of having the majority of the BMW lineup covered by year's end.

Our latest releases are the DINANTRONICS for the F32/F33/F36 435i and the wastegate compatible versions for the F30 335i and the F10 535i. These applications join the growing list of vehicles already in the DINANTRONICS compatible stable that include the F22 M235i, F30 335i, F07/10 550i, F06/12/13 650i, F01/02 750i, F10 M5 (STD & Competition Package), and the F06/12/13 M6 (STD & Competition Package).

You can find more info along with horsepower and torque numbers here: http://dinancars.com/product/d440-16...ries&mid=1205/

Please let us know if you have any questions!
No DIESEL love from Dinan as always?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #43
burrito007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Will this work with an E70 X5?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #44
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by liborio View Post
Will this option become available for e90 with n55 engine?

Why did you guys go this method (piggyback) vs the stage 2&3 DME flash you offer for previous models?
This option will not be available for the older E9X's with the N55 engines. The solution for those cars will remain being a straight software tune.

We went to the piggyback tune due to the fact that the new factory ECU on the "F" cars is impossible to crack (or very close to it). We figured this out early in development and for awhile were pursuing a flash tune in conjunction with developing a piggyback box as another possibility. When it became evident that the hours it would take to crack the ECU would mean additional years of time lost to development the idea for a flash tune had to be tabled. Being a for profit business made that the only realistic choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ddd View Post
No DIESEL love from Dinan as always?
You will be pleased to know that diesel has finally been accepted as a developing market here at Dinan and is at least on the radar for future developments. However, the directive is still that the gasoline powered vehicles need to be done first since that is the vast majority of the vehicles out there (bigger market, bigger priority; go capitalism). We get enough inquiries on diesel though that the needle has been moved and is in future plans unlike its dismissal in the past.
Appreciate 0