F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 435i catless DP with resonator delete & stock muffler vs AWE catback exhaust
proTUNING Freaks

09-08-2019, 10:10 PM   #1
giacMeister
IG: @madmike_x6m
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X6M

435i catless DP with resonator delete & stock muffler vs AWE catback exhaust

Regarding the 435i n55. So I have a dilemma, currently I have a catless DP with a resonator delete and the stock muffler. In my opinion it sounds pretty okay but I'm wondering how much different the sound is if I just went with an AWE catback exhaust. Is it noticeably different or do they generally sound the same? All these youtube vids of 435i exhausts are starting to sound the same to me lol

If anyone has heard it in real life would you say just go with the full exhaust from AWE or maybe smack on a MPE axle back exhaust? Idk, let me know your guy's thoughts.

Last edited by giacMeister; 09-08-2019 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 05:40 AM   #2
TheShadow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by giacDaddy View Post
Regarding the 435i n55. So I have a dilemma, currently I have a catless DP with a resonator delete and the stock muffler. In my opinion it sounds pretty okay but I'm wondering how much different the sound is if I just went with an AWE catback exhaust. Is it noticeably different or do they generally sound the same? All these youtube vids of 435i exhausts are starting to sound the same to me lol

If anyone has heard it in real life would you say just go with the full exhaust from AWE or maybe smack on a MPE axle back exhaust? Idk, let me know your guy's thoughts.
It's all personal preference, I personally have a full Awe catback with ER downpipe and it sounds like a lion gong down the street. I think most people here are pleased with just a mpe paired with a downpipe. I do believe AWE sounds 100% better than a mpe
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #3
Amarphoolka
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i xdrive gran coupe F36

Quote:

Hi i have AWE exhaust with a er dp along with AWE performance mid pipe on 435i and it absolutely sounds loud as compared to my friend who has vrsf dp, resonator delete with a mpe exhaust on his 335i. Especially the cold start of AWE exhaust is very loud. Every person has his own taste, however, in my opinion AWE exhaust with a performance midpipe and dp sounds very loud and sick. I love it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #4
giacMeister
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
It's all personal preference, I personally have a full Awe catback with ER downpipe and it sounds like a lion gong down the street. I think most people here are pleased with just a mpe paired with a downpipe. I do believe AWE sounds 100% better than a mpe
Yeah that's what I'm gathering is that AWE is the way to go. Just wish I had someone local around that has it so I can hear it in person.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
giacMeister
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarphoolka View Post
Hi i have AWE exhaust with a er dp along with AWE performance mid pipe on 435i and it absolutely sounds loud as compared to my friend who has vrsf dp, resonator delete with a mpe exhaust on his 335i. Especially the cold start of AWE exhaust is very loud. Every person has his own taste, however, in my opinion AWE exhaust with a performance midpipe and dp sounds very loud and sick. I love it.
I hear you on that with the cold starts...even mine with just a resonator delete and a dp it sounds insanely loud when starting up mainly because I'm in an apartment complex closed garage lol. I cringe at every cold start because I don't want my neighbors to hate me.

Thanks for the input on the AWE.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #6
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
I hear you on that with the cold starts...even mine with just a resonator delete and a dp it sounds insanely loud when starting up mainly because I'm in an apartment complex closed garage lol. I cringe at every cold start because I don't want my neighbors to hate me.

Thanks for the input on the AWE.
Why don't you turn off cold starts with bootmod3?

It comes down to level of aggression that you want. AWE is very aggressive. It's not for everyone, and not ideal for many family vehicles or if you drive around coworkers and need to keep it business professional.
It's basically a slightly resonated muffler delete with the muffler being a helmholtz resonator.
AWE is pretty much just loud all the time with slightly more drone (if non-resonated midpipe and aftermarket downpipe).
Catless + non resonated AWE would drone for sure and I've seen people complain about this combination being too much.
I have catted with full AWE + non resonated and there is some drone in comfort @ 2500 rpm and when the car is cold. I would not consider going catless with full non resonated AWE.

Last edited by mlev; 09-09-2019 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
_tlink
Guy with a car
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i Msport

Im running catless VRSF DP paired with AWE full catback with non resonated midpipe, sound is not for everyone for sure. It's loud on throttle, but can be driven relatively quiet in comfort and standard drive on trans. The sound though ... AMAZING!! Get a ton of compliments on the tone, BM3 really woke the car up too. I don't have burbles set that aggressive as I daily drive it with stage 2 so it gets a bit old with the constant POP POP POP POP POP on deceleration. Overall though would recommend if you want a louder style car.

P.S. Others mentioned drone ... its catless + non resonated ... of course there's some drone
15' 435i BSM on CR // BM3 Stage 2 93 OTS // NGK Plugs Gapped 0.023" // VRSF Catless DP // CTS Turbo Intake, CP, FMIC // AWE Tuning w/ Perf. Midpipe // BC Racing BR Coilovers // Apex EC-7 // Michelin PS4S // Plus a shit load of carbon
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

Quote:

I have catless paired with mpe and it's perfect for me. it's the perfect balance of loud when on the throttle and sport plus. If I drive in comfort it's sounds very tame.

Awe wit dp is like the most aggressive all the time

Mpe with dp is aggressive when you want but comfortable when casually driving. It's nice cause u keep the valve feature
      09-09-2019, 08:25 PM   #9
giacMeister
Rep

Thanks for the input guys, helped me make my decision. I definitely don't want super aggressive all of the time since it gets old after a while when daily driven. I went to the muffler shop today and had them weld the resonator back on, now I'm looking for a used MPE on the forums here. Seems like the perfect setup with a dp.
Appreciate 0