F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Car meetups? I want to learn more.
GetBMWParts

01-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
FalcoFury
Big dumb dumb
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2015

Car meetups? I want to learn more.

I'm a newbie. I just got a 2015 335i RWD. I've done a few days of reading and I think I know what I want. High flow cat DP, charge pipe, Intercooler then a tune by a professional. I don't want to deal with CEL or anything myself. The guy I know from the dealership I got it also browses this forum and I learned mostly from him and he recommended these 3 things.

I was wondering where I can find information on car meetups, maybe find someone with a similar car and see what I can learn and figure out what I really want after hearing them in person.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:42 PM   #2
Angry__Chef
Registered
Rep
Drives: 435i X-Drive

My experience has been to find your local Facebook groups. I have found meets through BMW specific ones (we have one in CO called Colorado N5X I think) as well as the Cars & Coffee group, again locally. My one issue is that a lot of the people at these meets can be a little young (no offense intended by this statement). Several people I have met are just interested in street racing which is a little beyond my years heh. A lot of the guys (regardless of age) though have been pretty knowledgeable about the platform and also a lot of them have some good connections with tuners and such so it would be worth checking out. Good luck, be safe and have fun.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 04:49 PM   #3
FalcoFury
Big dumb dumb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry__Chef View Post
My experience has been to find your local Facebook groups. I have found meets through BMW specific ones (we have one in CO called Colorado N5X I think) as well as the Cars & Coffee group, again locally. My one issue is that a lot of the people at these meets can be a little young (no offense intended by this statement). Several people I have met are just interested in street racing which is a little beyond my years heh. A lot of the guys (regardless of age) though have been pretty knowledgeable about the platform and also a lot of them have some good connections with tuners and such so it would be worth checking out. Good luck, be safe and have fun.
I found the FB cars & Coffee group for Jacksonville, I definitely agree. It seems to be targeted at a younger audience for sure. Regardless, it sounds like if I'm lucky I'll find other BMW owners and I can find who the best tuner around is, etc. On that subject, I'd rather pay too much for a tune that I KNOW will come out great with no errors or CEL.

My hope is to also hear what differently modded cars sound like. I was hoping to get a sexy engine roar without a muffler delete but the more research I do, the it seems like I may have to.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:12 PM   #4
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Just my 2 cents, you probably don't need to go so far as getting a custom "professional tune". The standard OTS flash tunes from BM3 or MHD should be more than enough for what it seems like your goals are.
      01-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

You should join the BMW CCA, it includes membership in your local chapter which is a great place to connect with other local owners. Side benefit is the club magazine Roundel which is worth the cost of membership and discounts from parts suppliers as well as discounts on new and some used BMW's.
https://www.bmwcca.org/
      01-18-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
FalcoFury
Big dumb dumb
United_States
Rep

I think I'll get the BM3 or MHD then. Thanks!

bmwcca looks great, I think once I get started and I'm ready to start buying parts I'll sign up and see what kind of discounts I can get. Thanks for all the help guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 03:19 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
You should join the BMW CCA, it includes membership in your local chapter which is a great place to connect with other local owners. Side benefit is the club magazine Roundel which is worth the cost of membership and discounts from parts suppliers as well as discounts on new and some used BMW's.
https://www.bmwcca.org/
I tried BMW CCA membership for a year and dropped it. Emphasis seems to be on very old or brand new. Not much in my area of interest '15 335ix
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 03:41 PM   #8
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I tried BMW CCA membership for a year and dropped it. Emphasis seems to be on very old or brand new. Not much in my area of interest '15 335ix
Funny about your complaint, as most vintage BMW owners have felt the Roundel (the club's monthly magazine) has been all about the new stuff for decades! The only way to get the vintage/classic material, or the stuff you're interested in, is to get involved & submit it. This is more easily accomplished the the chapter level. It's there that most of the member interaction occurs, vs. those sitting at home reading the Roundel.

John
'74 2002tii
'86 535i
'02 325xi
'03 530i
'06 330ic ZHP
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalcoFury View Post
I'm a newbie. I just got a 2015 335i RWD. I've done a few days of reading and I think I know what I want. High flow cat DP, charge pipe, Intercooler then a tune by a professional. I don't want to deal with CEL or anything myself. The guy I know from the dealership I got it also browses this forum and I learned mostly from him and he recommended these 3 things.

I was wondering where I can find information on car meetups, maybe find someone with a similar car and see what I can learn and figure out what I really want after hearing them in person.
Congrats. I've got a '15 335i xDrive. Been modding it for two years. Here's what I'd suggest in order:

Watch Kies Motorsports YouTube videos. You will learn a ton.

1) aFe Pro Dry drop-in air filter. Washable, reusable, high flow

2) Upgrade Charge Pipe because plastic stock pipe will break. Get Evolution Raceworks, VSRF or CTS. These are well made, should fit well and not leak

You can save labor if you install the upgraded intercooler at the same time as the CP.

Install BootMod3 N55 EWG Stage1 91 or 93 octane. You can install it from your laptop in the driveway in 20 minutes. It comes with a free automatic transmission tune too. Drive and enjoy Stage1.

The way to get performance and avoid emissions problems is the Fabspeed HJS catted downpipe. Guaranteed no CELs.

Also install NGK 97506 spark plugs gapped down to 0.022"

Once you install the DP, then you can flash BootMod3 Stage2. Costs $50 for multitune package
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2020, 09:26 AM   #10
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I agree the emphasis of the Magazine is mostly old or new BMW's with scant coverage of "middle age" cars but your '15 335 would be most welcome at the clubs driving events. Also the collective knowledge of the members can be a great help when looking for local repair facilities or advice on car problems. Sorry the club was not a good fit for you.
      01-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #11
FalcoFury
Big dumb dumb
United_States
Rep

johnung
I've been watching his videos almost nonstop. I really admire how thorough he is with everything and how he walks through every single step and always tries his best to show exactly what he's doing.

I live in Florida. Emissions tests are non-existent. Thanks Jeb Bush!

I just purchased an ER catless DP from a user here from the Classifieds just now actually. I was thinking about waiting until I could afford and get the Intercooler and CP at the same so I can just install them all at the same time and save money.

I'm not sure if I want to install them myself though. If so, I'll have a friend help, he's a genius with cars.

I'll definitely consider that Air filter as well, and I'll ask dealership about spark plugs first because they may have been replaced recently.

The best part is the general manager at the dealership is a good family friend, and he's the one who recommended I come here and research. He told me DP, CP, FMIC. So I can have him help me and make sure we get it working if I get any CEL or error codes.

I'll definitely consider that air filter as well, especially for only $90. After plenty of reading it seems that "performance air filters" don't really do much other than looks anyway unless you get very expensive ones.
Appreciate 1
johnung4512.00