F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Unlisted Error codes!!!
ARMA SPEED

12-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Unlisted Error codes!!!

Today, my first CEL.
I haven't found the codes listed here, google. Bimmerlink doesn't list anything for them either.

Digital Engine Electronics
1 error
FF1090: Unknown error
Electronic Transmission Management
1 error
FFCF2D: Unknown error

In the last two weeks the car (F30 N55 PWG) has gotten the yellow "overheated warning" twice. Yesterday was the second time but it was soon followed by the red "stop driving" and loss of power. I believe it's the coolant temp sensor, as the radiator fan has done it's weird 100% duty cycle a couple times over the last year. A restart always fixes it. This is why I have the new sensor.

The cel popped on this morning but the car is fine, no power loss, no overheating, no crazy fan, Idrive also doesn't show anything.

Anyone able to find out what the above codes mean?
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #2
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Update: I swapped in the new coolant temp sensor. After a few short drives hours apart the CEL has disappeared. Will pull codes tomorrow to compare and then clear them and wait some more.

I am thinking the coolant temp sensor was on its way out and is the reason why the radiator fan was acting weird prior. This is exactly how Audi's use it in their cooling systems, from my own experiences. Didn't expect BMW to do it any differently.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Also forgot that there was one error code for the sensor that appeared yesterday as well.

109001: COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR, ELECTRICAL: SHORT CIRCUIT TO POSITIVE

$20 part, and $10 for a 22MM deep socket, 10mins of work and we are good so far.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Welp.

Car has overheated again. Luckily it happened before I got on the highway, but unluckily something burst and now coolant is all over the ground. Waiting on a tow.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #5
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Welp.

Car has overheated again. Luckily it happened before I got on the highway, but unluckily something burst and now coolant is all over the ground. Waiting on a tow.
Any new codes? Do you have logging/monitoring? Would be good to see what the actual coolant temp was... i imagine very high if you burst a line. I see you got a code potentially related to the transmission as well, could be useful to watch trans temps.

Could you tell if the radiator fan was running before/during the overheat? My immediate suspicion would be the water pump, radiator fan, or thermostat (probably obvious). I wonder if you have a wiring issue with the coolant temp sensor and the DME is not getting the correct temp to regulate thermostat/fan/water pump causing the overheat. Just throwing ideas out there since you aren't getting any other replies. Knowing the actual coolant temp the DME is seeing would be helpful in this respect.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Welp.

Any new codes? Do you have logging/monitoring? Would be good to see what the actual coolant temp was... i imagine very high if you burst a line. I see you got a code potentially related to the transmission as well, could be useful to watch trans temps.

Could you tell if the radiator fan was running before/during the overheat? My immediate suspicion would be the water pump, radiator fan, or thermostat (probably obvious). I wonder if you have a wiring issue with the coolant temp sensor and the DME is not getting the correct temp to regulate thermostat/fan/water pump causing the overheat. Just throwing ideas out there since you aren't getting any other replies. Knowing the actual coolant temp the DME is seeing would be helpful in this respect.
Got under the hood and it looks like a hose burst somwhere on the passenger side as it has less coolant spray. Coolant temp was around 270 when it burst. Oil around 260. No new codes/error or info codes. Coolant overflow tank is near empty. Smoke was white when the burst happened. Couldn't really hear the fan either.

I'm leaning towards the tstat/pump too, since a hose burst. The temp sensor is brand new.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 06:38 PM   #7
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Lower hose into the block burst. Got it fixed and discovered that the radiator fan is done. Shoo quoted me $1200 installed. Found a dealer online selling the part sub $700 so I am going to diy. The install is pretty simple.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Lower hose into the block burst. Got it fixed and discovered that the radiator fan is done. Shoo quoted me $1200 installed. Found a dealer online selling the part sub $700 so I am going to diy. The install is pretty simple.
So do you think the codes were due to the fan failure? Then the hose bursting was due to overheating caused by the fan failure?

Sounds like a good find on the parts because i recall reading on another thread the fan alone was around that price.

Are you running the increased cooling on MHD or BM3? I noticed when i had mine on Performance from MHD my fan ran a LOT more. I turned it back to normal and will only flash that when i need it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #9
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
So do you think the codes were due to the fan failure? Then the hose bursting was due to overheating caused by the fan failure?

Sounds like a good find on the parts because i recall reading on another thread the fan alone was around that price.

Are you running the increased cooling on MHD or BM3? I noticed when i had mine on Performance from MHD my fan ran a LOT more. I turned it back to normal and will only flash that when i need it.
Shop actually said they couldn't find any codes for the fan, it just doesn't turn on. I didn't find any myself either. But it was weird that when it was in the overheated limp mode the fan was inaudible right before the hose burst. Coolant temps were 270° right before it happened.

Tune is stock, no mods there (yet). Plan to grab MHD in the spring after CP install.
Appreciate 0