F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > GVB DV+ issue
ARMA SPEED

10-20-2020, 06:19 PM   #111
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
As you mentioned, i think your choice is clear - get the TS. Although it hasn't been around as long as the DV+, so the long term data doesn't necessarily exist yet, I don't think there's been a single report that the DV+ is better than the TS; everyone seems to report the opposite. I haven't purchased either yet, but if i do buy one, it will be the TS.

After running the CTS intake for a bit (see my intake review thread), there's no way i would get a VTA BOV given how loud the recirc is with a non-closed box intake. Potential concerns with dumping metered air aside, the noise would have to be excessive and i would be worried it would get old fast, unless you are specifically seeking that. It's funny because with the CTS intake, i keep wondering what it would sound like with no DV and a bunch of compressor surge lol.
There's no issue with dumping metered air outside nor would there be sound concerns.

The only way you will hear the VTA is 85-100% WOT, in the upper rpm bands (4500rpm+) on sport+ mode.

If there was a metered air problem, my logs would have pointed it out.
      10-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #112
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
There's no issue with dumping metered air outside nor would there be sound concerns.

The only way you will hear the VTA is 85-100% WOT, in the upper rpm bands (4500rpm+) on sport+ mode.

If there was a metered air problem, my logs would have pointed it out.
Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned about dumping the metered air in terms of performance since the DME is more than advanced enough to handle that and its very transient. Also, i think the whole metered air thing would matter more for a manual car where you do a WOT pull and go from WOT to neutral with no throttle input (that's where i had issues with my 3000gt, but were talking about a ~30 year old ECU). But again, i doubt it has any noticeable impact on this platform.

As far as the sound, i wasn't saying that's a "concern" really. More of a preference. But are you saying you dont hear the DV dump sound unless you are under those conditions you mentioned? Because i can hear the stock DV almost constantly with the CTS turbo intake with any amount of throttle input in any mode on shift or release of throttle. Are you running the dual port so that the VTA portion is only a small fraction of the total DV dump?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 06:59 PM   #113
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned about dumping the metered air in terms of performance since the DME is more than advanced enough to handle that and its very transient. Also, i think the whole metered air thing would matter more for a manual car where you do a WOT pull and go from WOT to neutral with no throttle input (that's where i had issues with my 3000gt, but were talking about a ~30 year old ECU). But again, i doubt it has any noticeable impact on this platform.

As far as the sound, i wasn't saying that's a "concern" really. More of a preference. But are you saying you dont hear the DV dump sound unless you are under those conditions you mentioned? Because i can hear the stock DV almost constantly with the CTS turbo intake with any amount of throttle input in any mode on shift or release of throttle. Are you running the dual port so that the VTA portion is only a small fraction of the total DV dump?
I run the dual port cause whoosh sounds lol

But I literally don't hear anything unless it's higher than 4.5krpm, WOT, on sport+ and you have to hear the turbo spool to have the BOV to make it's sound.